Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:17 AM
stressed out broke pizza guy

Location: In the land of Green and Gold eating Pepperoni with an UZI

My only exception to my seatbelt rule was my Ex Wife. She had like 9 different surgeries to her belly/abdominal area that even me moderately braking would have ripped open her belly with a seatbelt . Heavy braking or an accident with a seatbelt on would literally have torn her belly apart.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Area Manager

All this talk about Seat Belts. Am I mistaken, here? I thought wearing a seat belt was mandatory in the U.S. for passenger vehicles. Maybe that's on a state-by-state basis.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
I did what the company required at the time: I sent a specific message through the dispatch terminal (code 70) that meant "passenger refused seatbelt."
That should open and shut your case for you right then and there (assuming Dispatcher's records have been properly kept.)

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just keep your story simple and be truthful. Don't embellish, don't hide any warts, just stick to the facts. As Judge Judy says, "If you tell the truth, you don't need to remember what you said."

Your lawyer will probably go through the events of the day as well, and make sure you know how to describe how you were driving that day (and in general). About the only weakpoint I could see for your own side is if they try to claim you as an aggressive driver. Still as long as you were following the laws and your company's rules you should be fine.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Tech Support Monkey

Quote:
Quoth mjr View Post
All this talk about Seat Belts. Am I mistaken, here? I thought wearing a seat belt was mandatory in the U.S. for passenger vehicles. Maybe that's on a state-by-state basis.
I can't speak for other states, but I know in Ohio you must wear a seat belt in the front seat. Rear seat is optional. Children under 8 must be in a booster/safety seat unless the are 4'9" or taller. Any child from age 8 to 15 has to wear a seat belt regardless of which seat they are in.

Also, the police can not use wearing of a seat belt as the sole reason for pulling you over.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

Quote:
Quoth mjr View Post
It is. Wikipedia has a page that summarizes the laws state-by-state. (Note that it says "Age 8+ in front seats" for Arizona; I don't let kids under about 12 ride in the front at all.)

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a page discussing the federal safety standards, but as far as I know, doesn't have age requirements for belts vs no belts.

Arizona's law is pretty straightforward: everyone in the front seat, required; children under 16 anywhere in the vehicle, required; adults not in the front seat, optional. Children under 5 must be in a child seat and children ages 5-8 under 4'10 must be in a booster seat. (A lot of people think that the law here requires everyone to be buckled up; I have no reason to disabuse them of that notion.)

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
That should open and shut your case for you right then and there (assuming Dispatcher's records have been properly kept.)
That's what the lawyer said, but still.

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just keep your story simple and be truthful. Don't embellish, don't hide any warts, just stick to the facts. As Judge Judy says, "If you tell the truth, you don't need to remember what you said."
That's pretty much how I operate on a day-to-day basis anyway.

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
Your lawyer will probably go through the events of the day as well, and make sure you know how to describe how you were driving that day (and in general). About the only weakpoint I could see for your own side is if they try to claim you as an aggressive driver. Still as long as you were following the laws and your company's rules you should be fine.
We already did that once (aside from the "aggressive" thing). When he has me come in for my statement I'm sure we'll cover it again.
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Old 03-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth Pixelated View Post
The thing to remember, when you're on the hot seat, is JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT'S BEEN ASKED. Do NOT volunteer extra information
No kidding, the best answers you can give to the opposing shyster are: Yes, no and I don't recall.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Cashier

At my last job, I got sued all the time. (my department was part of the County Recorder/Voter Registration Dept. and disgruntled voters liked to sue because we did such things as enforce the rules. IMO, its very likely that you will not go to court. The lawyers will probably settle things between themselves first.

If you do end up in court, do as the others have said. Answer the question with the shortest answer you can. "Yes." is a complete sentence. Yes, sir or No sir is polite, but you don't need to call anyone Sir or Ma'am except the judge, and that person is addressed "Your Honor".

Don't worry overmuch about it. You will be fine.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Computer Geek

Quote:
Quoth morgana View Post
OneMoreTime,

Mom was unbelted in the center back seat when a guy going FAR too fast hit the car she was in. Her knees went into the metal struts of the front bucket seats; shattered both legs above the knee.

No seatbelt. no drive.
I am living proof that seatbelts saves lives. That's all.

Last edited by EricKei; 03-28-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: snip

Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Fighting Stupidity and Losing

On my 20th birthday I was passenger in an accident where the car flipped twice and the driver was thrown into the backseat, still holding the steering wheel. Neither of us were buckled in. Neither of us were hurt.
I don't see that as proof that seat belts aren't needed; I see that as proof that I was a damned lucky fool, and I always wear a seat belt now.

Last edited by seigus; 03-29-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Deluxe Lackey

Several decades ago I was in an accident where I did a lot of things wrong, but was also very fortunate in that those errors didn't bit me in the butt.

I was waiting to make a left turn when I got rear-ended. And I had my wheels turned hard to the left, so my car shot into the same oncoming traffic that made it impossible for me to floor it to get out of the way. However, the impact imparted more acceleration than the gas pedal could have, so I shot through a gap I otherwise wouldn't have fit through.
Stuff like that.

The car behind the one that hit me had two paramedics in it.
As they approached me, one said (of the other driver), "He says this was all his fault and he's refusing medical attention, how about you?"
And I blurted out, "I'm nowhere NEAR that stupid."

So one uneventful trip to the hospital later, the doctor is probing my tummy to see if it makes me scream in pain and asks if I had been wearing my seatbelt.
"Yes, always." (pause) "Well, ... it's a very old car, and the shoulder belt is separate from the lap belt. I was only wearing my lap belt."
He gave me a look that said "You know better than to do that" and he was right, I did.

1972 Dodge Dart, accident was in ... 1989? It was totaled, I was fine. (well, I had one day of miserable whiplash, but only one day.)

My favorite part was "giving my statement to the police". That goes in quotes because it went like this:
The State Trooper came to the emergency room and said, "He said it was all his fault, and that works for me. He said he couldn't remember if your turn signal was on, I figure it probably was. Your car is sitting on Airport Road, I figure that's where you were going. Sign here."
Closed Thread