This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Fishy

Today I forgot to bring a pen to work and didn't have time to replace the marker that got stolen yesterday. That's not a good thing when you work by the Pet Department at the Evil Empire. Now usually I can find someone in my department with a marker or in a department close by. Not today.

I hear the page for someone to go to Pets so I went. I love wasting time over there and in Paint. It makes my day go faster. I help this couple pick out which fish would be the best match for what they already have. They're nice people very calm not angry. When it comes time to actually write down the information on the bags I excuse myself to go see if a coworker has a marker I could borrow. I come back and tell them if they could just wait a moment my one coworker will be back from her break and I could use her's. I would have gotten the fist for them and just waited but it's very hard sometimes impossible to write on the bag once there's water in it. The guy goes ballistic.

Me
    Sucky Guy
    Girlfriend

Me: I'm sorry but right now no one has a marker. I have a coworker who's about to come back from her break I has one. If you want you can finish up your shopping.

SG: The only thing I want is fish. Just right it with pen on the bag.

Me: Sir I can't do that. I don't have a pen and even if I did it would pop the bag.

SG: Well find some paper.

(I try to find some slips or something else to write on of course there's nothing. )

Me: It seems we're out right now. I'm very sorry. I should just be a few minutes more.

SG: I want my fish.

Me: I'm sure if she'll be here in a minute.

SG: Fine! I'll go get someone to help me! (storms away)

GF: Honey! Please honey come back.

The girlfriend shot me a "sorry look". I felt bad for her. About twenty minutes later when I was over in Paint I asked one of my mangers for her pen and she asked me about the guy. I told her the story and said that she was the one who ended up getting the fish for him and had restocked some of the paper we were out of. She said he was really intense.
    Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

The first question I have is why do you have to bring in pens to work? They should be providing them for you.

We had this discussion when I worked at the RAC, and once management said flat out that we had to bring our own pens, every rental agent said "no way." They ended up having to get cheap bic's for everybody to use.

Of course, I bring my own pens anyway. I'm picky like that. :P

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

When we run out of pens we just grab a packet off the shelf. Open it up, write about it in the comms book and it's all good.

Comment

Off topic, but speaking of pens, my fiance (edible hat of course) stole my pen and I busted him for it last night, by noticing the familiar colour of the pen peeking out of his pocket! cheeky bugger noticed it had fallen on the floor near the table at our flat and assumed it was free to be taken, and took off with my pen while I wondered most of the day where had it gone, as I specially bought it for list writing (I really like this pen, it's quite comfortable)... I think I better buy a whole packet of pens and leave it on his desk for him to steal away lol

Comment

that's why i try to only get girly pens for work. i work with guys and very rarely will they ever want to borrow a girly pen.

either that or i use a fountain pen....but i dont like loaning that one out cos most of the guys ...when it doesn't work the way they think it should, they try to press as hard as possible...which has a chance of breaking my pen. (idiots!)

Comment

Eric, that's what I keep asking. Really I don't mind bringing pens from home. I got some really snazzy ones I love writing with and I write the most at work so I bring them. It's the markers that annoy me. I'm going to bring it up to management that a pack needs to be kept up at the fish tanks for when the assosiates there are called up to the till and can't get a person their fish.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

In almost 30 years of retail I have NEVER worked anywhere that supplied me with pens.

I even have to buy my own markers that I use in the warehouse to label cartons.

I'm OK with that, because I wear an apron with a front pocket, and I keep all my pens, markers and highlighters in there and take them home with me at night.
              If the store was supplying them, then I would have to leave them there every night, and the odds of actually coming back in to find them in the same place I left them are pretty darn slim.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

At my store we have pens, highlighters, black markers, post-it notes and such in a supply cabinet for people to pretty much help themselves.

I prefer my pens though. The fatter the better. I like big pens and I cannot lie.

They also have to be the kind you click down to write with. Otherwise I lose the caps all over the place.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth IceLee View Post
                  Off topic, but speaking of pens, my fiance (edible hat of course) stole my pen and I busted him for it last night, by noticing the familiar colour of the pen peeking out of his pocket!

And you wanna marry this guy?! Not only does he steal your pens but he flaunts it right in your face!!

A comfortable pen is a must. I used to bring my own fun pens to work, but I didn't let customers use them. I like clicky pens, too cuz when I was in the store I could just hook them onto my name tag. Capped pens aren't as secure like that. My current favorite pens are Papermate FlexGrip Elite pens, in blue, of course (always blue!). Work supplied us with pens and markers and such, though.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Your company should supply you with pens. They're tools and part of the equipment required for the job. Now if you like a special kind of pen, and it's not because you have a disability, then you would have to provide it. But your company should be supplying pens, and you should be asking management for a regular supply of them. They should NOT be paid for out of your wages.

Too often people fall into the habit of providing these things and the companies are quite happy to let the employees pay for them. Thw company can much better afford it, and should be paying for it.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                    X