This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Give This Performance an Oscar

Lady calls in because they need new fuel injectors on their truck (note: the car involved was a big SUV with all the bells and whistles, probably $45,000 when new). They can’t afford this repair and are seeking a discount from us. After a review, I determine that they don’t qualify for assistance; this was basically a maintenance repair.
    Lady then gives me a big sob story on how she just broke her hand and needs surgery and physical therapy which will cost a lot of money and they just can’t afford to pay for this repair on top of everything else. As she tells me this, I can feel/hear her working up to major Drama Queen mode. I know she can tell this isn’t going to go her way…her whole attitude changes. She gets all breathy on the phone and she even manages to work a quaver into her voice. I tell her I’m sorry to hear about her injury but she just doesn’t qua--.

She interrupts me to tell me that she is just sooo worried and upset over how this conversation will go that she’s actually physically shaking! (Ooooh Noooo!! Anything but that!) I repeat that I’m sorry she’s got these expenses but she just doesn’t qualify for assistance. She seems to accept and politely ends the call.

A couple of days later I check the file out of curiosity, see that she got a young man on the second call (I knew who he was and he was just barely out of high school) cried for him and he gave her a discount. I’ve never been so disgusted. I knew she was manipulating me but he fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

If you can't afford the maintenance on the car, you shouldn't be driving the car.

This story reminds me of my brothers ex-wife.

My ex-sister in-law has been out of work for a couple of years, while disputing a work place injury. She has a nice house on cape cod and drives a newer, high end SUV. She gets by, by bleeding anyone who will loan her money dry.

She needs to lower her lifestyle needs, but it isn't happening.
    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Like my father says, "People tend to buy a lot more car than they can afford." I wonder what would happen if they car got into a wreck?

Comment

There's a well-played bit of SC fucktardery for you: If you can't sob the first person into giving you what you want, call again and hope you get somebody less experienced who doesn't know they're being fed a line of BS.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I Give This Performance an Oscar

You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
            If you can't afford _____________, you shouldn't have ______________.
            there. fixed, and generalized it for you.
            Fill in the blank with whatever you want. I'll not contribute my favorites, as I'll just be sent to fratching.
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I'll not xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , as I'll just be sent to Fratching.
              Fixed that one as well, and if we see more of these we'll start closing threads. If you need to put a disclaimer on it or any other kind of qualification, don't post it. Period.
              Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

My sympathy lasted about five seconds with that woman. Had my older car break down seven hours from home needing an injector harness. I had no choice, and they knew it, charged 75% more than my local mechanic would have. As I was then unemployed, I did try to negotiate for a better price (and failed), but I didn't whine and cry that I was entitled to miracles. I was going to have to spend additional money on a rental getting home and then getting back there a week later when they said they'd have the car done, taking an extra day off work to get there, and it shattered my budget. So be it.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it. She should have. I'm sure she was quite pleased with herself in putting one over on the young guy.

Comment

On the other hand, my cousin has a car he should be able to afford, but he has the worst car luck known to man. Every time he pays off the last repair, he has to get another couple thousand dollars worth of work.
                  I can't remember what exactly happened to his first car, but it broke good, it died on a bridge on hos way to work on February, and eventually he had to scrap it. He got carjacked and kidnapped in the second one, and they drove the hell out of it, and he had to scrap it. He cracked the tail pipe on the third one, and it turns out that the exhaust system is all of one piece, so he had to get the whole thing replaced. There was some more stupid shit with the other cars, but I can't remember it all.
                  I am currently running a pool that his next problem will be a cracked wheel bearing, because it came up in discussion a few days ago.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                    On the other hand, my cousin has a car he should be able to afford, but he has the worst car luck known to man.

<refering to whole quote, but cutting it for space>
                    May I suggest your brother check out the Consumer Reports auto issue (April every year, I think). It sounds like he would benefit from finding out if the car is a matainence nightmare or not. You can even browse them for free at most libraries, and see back issues on film. Well worth the time spent on research.

Okay, maybe it won't help with the carjackings (Yikes!! ), but probably with the other stuff.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

i like gun's oscar; best award yet!

my sympathy for her never kicked in; if you can afford the item, then you can afford the repairs. i have no sympathy for those who live outside their means, then try to get others to feel bad for them when problems arise, it's just not gonna happen.

not smart enough to research something or can't wait long enough to find out if there are issues (with the exeption of those that might take time to show), also, no sympathy for you.

that lump of fat in your head is there for more than just hole plugging; try using it for a change.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                      X