This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth digilight View Post
    1. Documents are filed ahead of time (prior to standing before Mr. Judge).

There is no way that these documents get lost, there is a huge trail.
    Not necessarily.

If the documents were some sort of pleading(s), then they certainly would be on file at least a few days before anyone showed up in court.

If, however, they were something to be used as evidence, then it is highly probable that they were not filed with the court and were to be introduced during the hearing or trial. That would explain his panic - especially if what was in the envelope was the original.

I can speak only for my state, but it is rare that evidence is put on file with a court before a hearing/trial. The other side may have been given a copy of document evidence before the trial IF the other side made the proper discovery requests; but if it did not, then the first time it will see the evidence will be at the trial.

If this attorney lost something crucial like evidence, he is looking at an angry client and possible charges with his state bar.
    Quoth digilight View Post
    I could see legal documents being left at a copy shop, or a coffee shop though.
    And you would be surprised how often an attorney is absent minded enough to do something like that!
    Last edited by South Texan; 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Oh I know people forget stuff all the time. We actually have in our store a self portrait this woman had done by a street artist which she then forgot in our store. She even called to say she would be in on Monday to get it. That was 2 years ago.
      And our law section actually has a lot of stuff in it. Provincial codes, Family law acts, etc. We do a lot of business with local law firms and the police legal library.
      I only checked the law section because I was looking for something like 'Law for Dummies' which I thought fit this guy perfectly.
      We're also in the city centre and the court house is a few blocks away, so it's possible he perhaps stopped for lunch in our restaurant or was on his way to the court.
      Either way, WORST LAWYER EVER!
      And no his name wasn't Lionel Hutz. I wouldn't have been surprised though.

Comment

Quoth Blueberry View Post
        Oh I know people forget stuff all the time.
        I actually have seen attorneys walk out of court rooms leaving their big brief case with all their files behind then return in a raw panic three hours later searching for it. Files, books, evidence, and a whole lot of other stuff gets left behind as well.

One attorney even left behind a signed settlement in a case and the check to go with it. I had to call her office about it and heard the relief in the paralegal's voice as the entire staff had been tearing the office apart looking for it.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
        X