This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Table is so Messy

I work at a clothing store. On one table we have jeans and some tops. Everything was folded but not all the edges were straight. While we have customers I don't stress about making the table perfect, because it gets messed up two minutes later. A lady walks in and complains about how messy the table is. I look back and she is destroying the table. She pulls jeans out of the stack, makes other stacks go vertical, and pulls out stuff from the back. I walk over. (M=me, SC=sucky customer).
    M: Can I help you find a size or a fit?
    SC: If this table wasn't so messy maybe I could find a size.
    She continues to rip out jeans and throw them unfolded on the table. Next she moves to the tops. The same dialogue follows. I follow her around the table and fold things all the while she grumbles about how messy the table is. What is wrong with people?

I absolutely hate people who do that.
    If you're going to put back a folded item, could you at least try to re-fold it?
    ...And they're not all nasty customers too.

Something tells me that woman hasn't done a day of retail clothes-folding in her life to see that as "messy".

Comment

kinda wish you could say...
      (raise an eyebrow) "You're throwing stuff around and complaining about the mess.....O_o"
      or something along those lines.

Kinda like someone tossing food on the floor and then complaining about the food on the floor. DUH

Comment

I don't even try to refold items. Honestly, you don't want me to!
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
          I am the same way
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I can't fold clothes to the level of a clothing salesperson, nurse or soldier expecting a barracks inspection. But I can fold clothes neatly enough to let the sales staff know that it's just this one or two badly-folded shirts, not a whole pile of mystery stuff underneath a couple of shirts tossed loosely onto the table.

Yes, my folding has to be redone. But it makes the table look like several stacks of clothes that have been rummaged through by another shopper, rather than making the table look like noone's ever tidied it at all.

Just my opinion on the 'is it better to fold badly or not at all' question.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

This post reminds me of the American Eagle store at the local mall.

So much time and effort is put in to fold the clothes all perfect and according to size, and then hordes of tweens and teens come in and pretty soon the store is trashed.

Saturday afternoon, the store looked like a tornado had gone through it. There were clothes all over the floor and the tables were just a disaster. Displays were all screwed up.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

this is why i don't work in clothing stores. I am sane and thus try to at least put it back in way that sorta looks like a store folded item (OK so i suck at ity but the tag is visble and it looks faily neat) but theeese other people pop open EVERY ITEM ON THE RACK and then complain they cant find something.

Comment

Sometimes the parents of the tweens (if any parents are even there at all) are worse. Throwing clothes back, furiously shoving jeans every which way back into the cubbies, and just tossing shirts back on to the displays. Ugh, some people are such pigs it's disgusting.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Kat33auS View Post
                    I absolutely hate people who do that.
                    If you're going to put back a folded item, could you at least try to re-fold it?
                    ...And they're not all nasty customers too.

Something tells me that woman hasn't done a day of retail clothes-folding in her life to see that as "messy".
                    I refold my clothes after I look at them.

Nine times out of ten, though, people assume I work there when I do it and ask for help.

Comment

i suck at refolding too - but i sure wouldn't bitch them out over a mess that I just made

Comment

We really dont have a lot of people who trash our store but it happens. Typically when I see people digging around in the folded clothes on the table I will simply ask if I can find their size for them. I can then find their size for them and hand it to them without messing up the table as much (even I mess it up digging around in it). We also have size stickers on all folded merchandise which makes it easier.
                        "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Quoth jk465 View Post
                          SC: If this table wasn't so messy maybe I could find a size.
                          "Oh I know what you mean, madam. When customers insist upon pulling jeans out of the stack in such a way that the other stacks go vertical, then pull out stuff from the back of the display, rip out jeans and throw them unfolded on the table - yes, just like you are demonstrating! - it makes the table a horrible mess and no one can find anything. You know, I just do not understand what is wrong with some people that makes them think it is ok to act the way you are demonstrating right now. And after my tenure in retail, I have found that those who make the big messes often are the ones who complain the loudest about them.

"Why, madam, whatever made you think I was talking about YOU?"
                          Last edited by South Texan; 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM.
                          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                            Well, I do try, but I really suck at it. Maybe I should apply at a clothing store just to learn how to refold the shirts.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's been years since I've worked retail, but personally, I appreciated it when people at least made the effort of re-folding the clothes.

I'd much rather see something folded up badly than just tossed aside and left for some hapless clerk to clean up after them.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X