This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A month later....

So we had a guest stay about a month ago. No notes on the reservation about any problems, and the guest didn't mention anything at the time.

Queue today and she's received her bill in her mail (wtf? Noooo, we don't send them a month after, she'd have received it the day she checked in, if she asked for one, but whatever).

According to the guest, she was charged the wrong rate because she was charged for a third person. Only... a third person was in the room. Bu the guest claims that the third person was a child and we don't charge for children so I did the nice thing and refunded her $22.60. And btw, I fully trust the agent that charged this woman and she'd never have charged for the child so the guest is full of garbage but it meant less problems.

And then this follows...

G - "I want a discount for not only the third guest charge, but also because a light bulb was out in the bathroom for both days of my stay, and because the beds were sagging so bed they almost reached the floor ".

Me - "I'm sorry ma'am, I've already given you the money back for the third guest. You won't be receiving a further discount for it".

G - "Ok, then what about the lightbulb and the beds?"

Me - "It's a lightbulb, did you speak with the front desk? We'd have replaced it"

G - "No one was ever at the desk during the entire time I was there (I call bull on that one but I didn't say anything), but I told someone when I was walking down the hall and it was never replaced. And what about the beds?"

Me - "Can you tell me who you talked to? I know who was working that weekend, and I know the desk was manned the entire weekend."

G- *disgusted sound* "I don't know who I talked to"

Me - "Was it male or female?"

G - "Whatever, it was female. What does that have to do with anything?"

Me - "So I know which agent to speak to. Did you approach the agent about the bed problem?"

G - "No"

Me - "So you don't know who you talked to, and you didn't give us the opportunity to actually fix the problems you had. And you didn't say anything about the bed issue while you were here or we could have moved you. I know the agent that was working during the time you are telling me, and I also know that she would have moved you if at all possible. We have no notes on file about a problem with the room anywhere, and no other reports about problems with the beds".

G - "So you mean to tell me that you won't refund me for the trouble I had and to keep a guest for the future? Not even $25?"

Me - "Ma'am, I'm telling you that you won't receive a refund because we have no record of these issues anywhere, and it was a month ago. If it had been such a big deal at the time, you should have approached us to have it fixed."

G - "I will go to the credit card company to get my money back."

Me - "You are certainly able to do that if you feel the need but at this point, we were not given the opportunity to remedy the situation while you were here so you will not be given money back".

She was NOT pleased and hung up. I'm actually surprised she didn't try to escalate to the GM.

Actually, it was kind of nice. Since I'm the AGM, my GM and I have had lots of conversations about this and I actually handled it myself completely without his assistance. I knew exactly what to say and do. He was listening and said I handled it perfectly.

So other than being an SC, it wasn't so bad. And I may be 37 but I feel mildly proud of myself for handling it. Wow, that sounds arrogant lol. But I've only been a manager about 2 or 3 months.

Sounds like you did great! Props for not giving in to an obvious attempt to scam money out of you!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yep, you did a great job! And despite her pestering, you kept a professional manner.

Comment

Once again, the ol passive aggressive trick. Ya know, No, I didn't say or do anything because of xyz, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!!!! I still want my way!!!
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

"I will go to the credit card company to get my money back."
          And that is why my boss does not accept credit or debit cards at the small tobacco store I work at.
          When we use to sell gasoline we had a guy do a charge back on 7 YEARS of gas charges. The CC sided with him and we lost all that money. Even though we had signed receipts they still sided with him.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
            When we use to sell gasoline we had a guy do a charge back on 7 YEARS of gas charges. The CC sided with him and we lost all that money. Even though we had signed receipts they still sided with him.
            HUH????????? 7 friggin YEARS of CC charges?????

How in all that is sacred to the Flying Spag Monster did this person JUSTIFY 7 years of charge backs.

Who did this person have pictures of with a goat????
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

No idea. I came to work one day and the boss had boxes upon boxes of old CC slips going through them. I asked what was going on and he said some guy was fighting 7 years of charges. He had to find all of them from this guy and send copies off to the CC company.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                No idea. I came to work one day and the boss had boxes upon boxes of old CC slips going through them. I asked what was going on and he said some guy was fighting 7 years of charges. He had to find all of them from this guy and send copies off to the CC company.
                At that point, you might as well take the asshole to small claims court and recoup your losses. Just because the CC company is full of idiots doesn't mean you all should be out the money for 7 years worth of products.

Comment

I think we'd go to court over 7 years of charges. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the city would side with us. It's funny but I've seen some customers actually call the police when they don't want to pay for something but the police always side with the hotel and say "This is a civil matter. No one has been hurt and you have to pay for what you've charged".

Comment

Yeah I would have taken it farther but I am only an employee. No idea what happened after. Wasn't my business to know..

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                      Wow I did not think you could go back that far for a charge dispute even IF the records show a pattern of regular use.

I thought most companies only kept the actual receipts for say 3 maybe 4 years then destroyed them as a dispute at that stage would be fairly unlikely.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My boss keeps EVERYTHING. lmao.
                        I seen a box from 1985 the other day when I was looking for something.

But yeah I thought the same thing.

Comment

Yikes!

Confession: I hate confrontation, and I don't like complaining at a hotel, restaurant, etc. I don't want to be a bother. I'm trying to get in the habit of speaking up if there's a problem, and in this lady's situation, I definitely would have asked them to change the light bulb, but I probably wouldn't have mentioned the beds. If the beds were that big a deal to me, I might write a review about the hotel or decide not to stay there again, but I would never call and ask for a discount for a problem that wasn't a big enough deal to actually mention to someone at the time!!
                          Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 11-06-2013, 04:29 PM.
                          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

She probably got her credit card statement, and realized, oh heck, I can't afford that, and called to try and get you guys to cave. Good job NOT doing so!

I just came back from a road trip with my mom, who is in a wheelchair. We had a couple of small, minor issues with some of the rooms as in no shower bench for the roll in shower, or needing a riser for the toilet seat. But....we dealt with them ASAP, politely, and then moved on.

Comment

Working...
                            X