Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm calling my lawyer because your pool is closed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta say that the owner being a lawyer might not he knows the law about the facility. I rented 1/2 a duplex from a lawyer. He refused to do any of the things he promised to do, like fixing the broken window in the bedroom and dealing with the broken live wire hanging down in the back yard...

I checked the law, & contacted a city housing inspector - who found 7 more illegal things! I then wrote him a letter informing him that I was taking my rights under statute numbers blah and blah, and putting my rent into an escrow account until the problems were fixed. I got an eviction notice by return mail. That was specifically forbidden in the very next statute in the book!

Yes, I sued him and won.
    I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
    - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
      I checked the law, & contacted a city housing inspector - who found 7 more illegal things! I then wrote him a letter informing him that I was taking my rights under statute numbers blah and blah, and putting my rent into an escrow account until the problems were fixed. I got an eviction notice by return mail. That was specifically forbidden in the very next statute in the book!

Yes, I sued him and won.
      Now that is TOO damn funny! Are you sure he was a lawyer? If so, he's not a very good one.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was. And the nice lawyer I hired also said he was - and agreed with your opinion!

I would have thought that, when I gave him the statute number, he would have looked it up if he was unfamiliar with it. But I suspect that he thought I was a dumb chick and someone else told me what to write. He underestimated me. (evil grin) I think he was one of the guys who believed that being good-looking and having brains were mutually exclusive.

Oh, well, vengeance was sweet. I got to keep the rent I put in escrow, and got a small settlement, which I split with my lawyer. I think it was about $600. So I had a fairly fat savings account, until my old VW bug got a look at my bank balance and decided it was time to blow the engine and get a new one...
        I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
        - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
          I gotta say that the owner being a lawyer might not he knows the law about the facility. I rented 1/2 a duplex from a lawyer. He refused to do any of the things he promised to do, like fixing the broken window in the bedroom and dealing with the broken live wire hanging down in the back yard...

Yes, I sued him and won.
          I love happy endings (except for your car). I never understood how someone can make it through that much schooling and still be so overly arrogant believing that everyone else does not know the basics.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I hope lawyers bill their clients $500 for one hour about stupid cases like, "Waaahhh! Their pool is closed and I want to sue them!" Maybe if stupid people like this got hit hard in the wallet, they would tend to complain and whine less.

Comment

Just an general observation:

It seems that SCs and EWs think that merely saying the phrase "I will sue you <insert some illogical or foolish reason>" is that a LOT of companies (not the individual workers/employees) are, at the core, sometimes scared of getting sued especially if race or some type of discrimination is alledgely involved.

Yes "threatened" lawsuit threats like in the OP are at best frivilious and a waste time, we know that here in the US there is HUGE litigation culture. and to boot some people actually win these really dumb lawsuits.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I have a friend who is principal of a school.

Whenever parents threaten him with a lawyer he replies very quietly, "You know, we have lawyers too."

Shuts 'em up every time.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I'm almost waiting for someone to threaten a lawyer's office with a lawsuit...( and I don't mean malpractice either) or a law school, one or the other.

Comment

Working...
                  X