• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of wasted time

Tonight was sooooo special:

If you order BE THERE DAMN IT

or if I phone bomb you ANSWER YOUR FRIGGIN PHONE

I arrive at my delivery and go up the stairs to the proper door and knock.

Silence. I knock again. Silence

Le sigh. I pull out my cell phone and call. goes to VM. I leave my standard message. and wait.

a couple minutes later I call again. right to VM Leave same standard message.

a couple minutes later I call again. right to VM Leave same standard message.

TIME's up. I call again and leave one last message to call the store to get the order delivered and I leave. I call the store to let the MOD know the situation.

I am within a block of the store (3 miles away from the delivery address) and my phone vibrates. I quickly look at the Caller ID and lo and behold it is the customer calling me back. "OH we were at a garage (the apt complex had some garages along the perimeter) about a half a block away and did not see you. Can we get our order delivered now????.

I get to the nearest intersection and turn around and go back.

Total time 40 minutes on what should have been a 20 minute delivery

MAKE UP YOUR MIND

Near the end of the night. I get dispatched on a delivery. Not that far away. As I
    am pulling into the apt complex driveway, my phone vibrates. The Caller ID shows it is the store calling. The customer has just called and wanted to change the address for the delivery.

OH NO you don't. The store then says the customer then changed their mind and now wants to do the order as a carryout. SOOOOO back to store I head.

Total time wasted 20 minutes

I am not a BANK and PLAN AHEAD next time

2d to the last order of the night. we already know this order is going to be trouble. mush mouth during the order as the MOD had to take the order TWICE to make sure they got it right.

I arrive at the address. The order total is $16.71. The woman pulls out her wallet and from a wad of $50 bills she hands me a <wait for it>

A $50 bill

Sorry I do not have change for that. She gets the deer-in-the-headlights look. from somewhere she finds a $10 and $5. NOW she is faced with coming up with $1.71 to fully pay for the order. The safari hunt begins. one minute passes. three minutes pass. 5 MINUTES pass.

I swear this woman looked in every nook and cranny, pocket and purse, couch cushion and piggy bank to come up a bunch of pennies and a few quarters to round out the order total. I swear she must have walked or jogged half a mile in her quest for change.

Total wasted time at least 5 minutes.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

It really is too bad that, with customers like the first ones, you aren't allowed to say, "Sorry. You want the pizza, it's back at the store; come get it."

Comment

And I'll bet _none_ of the three gave you a tip!

Comment

Every time I think about going back to work for Pizza Place again, I just need to read one of your stories to remind me about why I left.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          If you order BE THERE DAMN IT
          I would tip so much for that out of embarrassment.

The order total is $16.71. The woman pulls out her wallet and from a wad of $50 bills she hands me a <wait for it>

A $50 bill
          Well, if you only have $20 in change, then that looks like a *does the math* $13.29 tip. Not bad for a trip.
          Last edited by EvilEmpryss; 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            And I'll bet _none_ of the three gave you a tip!
            actually the person in the first story did give me a $2 tip on a $15 order. But still....... wasted time.

With the second person the MOD did not change the order from delivery to carryout. The customer picked up the order and just signed the CC slip (with no tip since in their mind all they did was pick up their order and did not waste my time). At least I got credit for the run.

The last story was a cluster fuck from the first ring of the phone. The MOD had to go through the order at least 2 or 3 times (somewhat simple order with a free kids reading reward pizza) just to get the order (like pullin teeth). That is all I will say.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              [B][U]Well, if you only have $20 in change, then that looks like a *does the math* $13.29 tip. Not bad for a trip.
              I was on the opposite end of that problem once. I ordered 42 dollars worth of Pizza, only had a 50 dollar bill until the banks opened the next day and a family to feed.

I figured that I'd just give the driver the lot and have at it. $8 tip not being a bad thing. I even mentioned on the online order that I only had the $50 bill and that was it.

Chap came to the door, put the pizzas on the porch railing and proceeded to pull out a wad of bills that could be used to beat whales to death with. When he saw that I had pulled out the one and only $50 to my name he freaked out and said that he didn't have change for that.

The huge wad of bills containing a large number of all denominations ranging from 1's to 20's notwithstanding. He had enough on hand to break my $50 and certainly more than enough to give me $8 if I wanted it.

When he wouldn't take I shrugged and closed the door on him (he still had the pizzas so I wasn't stealing) and he yelled at me through the door for several minutes.

Then just to REALLY be an ass, he called his manager and had him bitch me out for it.

Needless to say I don't go to that store anymore. More's the pity since that was the only place that delivered to my house.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                I he freaked out and said that he didn't have change for that.
                "Yes you do, I can SEE it. And I hadn't asked for change. Good night."

Comment

*blinks* Not having 8$ change? Normally big bills are an issue, but if the change is under 10$ for the, I don't see much of an issue about it. What would he have done if you had 2 20's and a 10 instead? (Other than the usual concerns about counterfeiting). Sounds like that driver was just an asshole. Makes me glad I just pay with Debit most of the time anyway; no need for cash or change.

Hell if I was quick on my feet in the other post's situation, I'd have said "Well, I think I might have 2 twenties and a ten around here somewhere" (while pretending to search) "do you have change for that?" If he falls for it, and says Yes, you can pounce back and say "then you have change for a 50." Of course the pizza would be stone cold while you wait for the guy's brain to recover from the BSOD you just gave him. :P

Comment

Chap came to the door, put the pizzas on the porch railing and proceeded to pull out a wad of bills that could be used to beat whales to death with.
                    ...So the guy was full of it, he was waving around all of that money like he WANTED to get mugged, and he had the manager call you?! Geez.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was on the opposite end of that problem once. I ordered 42 dollars worth of Pizza, only had a 50 dollar bill until the banks opened the next day and a family to feed.

<snip>

Then just to REALLY be an ass, he called his manager and had him bitch me out for it.

Needless to say I don't go to that store anymore. More's the pity since that was the only place that delivered to my house.
                      First my brain go sploody while my eyeballs shot through the window into the neighbors yard and I am now convulsing in uncontrollable rage laughter.

There is SOOOO MUCH FAIL here

First I will agree with Eric that carrying around that much cash (BIG WAD) is stupid at best and dangerous at worst.

Second had that been me and you indicated no change was required: I would have said in y most cheerful tone of voice "THANK YOU very much Sir. I appreciate your generosity. Here are your pizzas. Again THANK YOU very much and have a good night.

Third what purpose did it serve to the a manager involved?? I do not understand this at all. WHY would the manager bitch you out????? Did the driver realize the order total ie. $42????? DID this mental giant even know the order total????? WHY the hostility on both of their parts??? This make absolutely NO sense to me. The only way this would make sense is if the store is NOT allowed to take $50 bills under any circumstances.

Most pizza places security policies state (your mileage may vary as some companies will NOT take a $50 or $100 bill at all cause they tend to be counterfited most often) that the driver (with a bank of $20) can make change for a $50 bill if the order total if the total is within $15 of that bill.

I would have gone above the store level with a situation as stupid as this one.

Comment

Who are all these damn morons ordering pizza and then just....taking off???

Seriously? Even on a day/night where the wait time was an hour or so, I still wouldn't risk going anywhere.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I never understood it when people would do that, blas x.x Not quite as bad as people placing fake orders to nonexistent locations, but we still got them often enough to make them notable.

Been a while since I slung pizzas, tho -- When I was at DaddyJim's, we could still get away with refusing to accept orders from people calling on cellphones (the phone number prefixes, and the poor signal quality were often dead giveaways), as they were FAR more likely to be the fraudulent orders; pay phones were on their way out, even then, but the same rule applied.

We were actually required to drop any cash over about $20 every time we got back from a run. We had one guy who kept ALL of his cash on him for some reason, but that was more because he didn't want anyone (including the manager cashing him out at the end of the night) to know how much he really made in tips; he also calculated how much he owed so that the manager didn't get a chance to count out all of his money -- just what he had to turn in. He was what drivers call a "snake" -- he would, *ahem* see to it that he got more favorable runs, would use manager passwords to avoid taking the first order in line if it was "too far" or a known bad tipper (which was a BIG no-no, but he never got in trouble for it), etc. Basically, he screwed other drivers over for his own benefit. Of course, he was also a really fast/efficient driver because of this, so the brass wouldn't get rid of him. After all, he made them money. He was a major inspiration for me to start using intentionally-misspelled Japanese words as my managerial override codes -- as he was pretty blatant about watching us enter our passwords, this stymied him (along with anyone else who tried to figure out WTF I was typing ^_^). I saw no reason my name should be all over the Exception (override) reports when I hadn't authorized the exceptions...Still dunno how he never got fired for using paswords of managers who weren't even in the store for his overrides...
                          Last edited by EricKei; 11-01-2013, 01:25 PM.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Still dunno how he never got fired for using paswords of managers who weren't even in the store for his overrides...
                            I remember your post about that situation. Talk about blood boiling.

Too bad you couldn't point to the fraudulant exception reports, and kick them upstairs as 'proof' that Managers were working off the clock or something. (Since clearly they had to be there to enter their code to authorize the exception). And/or flag the store for having "Too many Managers at one time" or similar gotchas.

Comment

All we really ever heard about it was notes from Upstairs (tm) saying to try to keep the length of the Exception Reports down -- One full page and some change per day was reasonable (and a chunk of that was the usual passwords required to open and close the store for the day), but some of our busier days with that guy on the clock came out over three pages, most of them for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X