This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get To The Point!

We all hate those customers who persist in giving us their life story before getting around to telling us their problem. They'll go on for sometimes longer than five minutes with all kinds of ultimately irrelevant information before they finally tell you the crux of the problem. ("...so, long story short," (Too late!) "I need my password reset.")

I had one of these calls earlier today. I could tell straight away that a lot of the Caller's "life story" ramble wasn't relevant to the issue, and making matters worse was she actually gave me the crux of the problem fairly quickly, but... she kept talking. And talking.

And talking some more.

She finally paused long enough that I was able to troubleshoot her issue. [AppZ] wasn't working. Generally [AppZ] is one of a few applications at The Client which has a workstation-specific license. This means that if a user were to go to another workstation (due to their regular terminal not working or whatever), they would not be able to use [AppZ].

Complicating issues was the fact that the user logs into [Network A] using the virtual workstation setup, "MANA." (Not its actual name) 99% of MANA users end up on one of many "pooled" virtual workstations. (i.e., on one logon, they end up on workstation 1ABC2, but the next, they'll end up on 9XYZ8) This makes it difficult for Caller to get access to [AppZ], but they managed to get it to work.

Until recently, that is, when she started getting an error message. This, on top of a separate error in a different application, which is a known issue on MANA workstations that is in the process of being corrected. She'd worked with her close support to get the separate error resolved, and apparently had scared the [AppZ] error into working while she was on the phone with them. But, naturally, the error had returned, so she called ITSD and got me.

That previous paragraph? It took her about five minutes to get to that point.

I worked my magic, of course. Problem was, the usual fixes for the [AppZ] error in question weren't working. I was about to send a trouble ticket up so someone above me could look at it, when I tried one last thing. It boiled down to doing a reinstall-- something that isn't always successful, let alone available, particularly on MANA workstations. But it went through, [AppZ] loaded without the error, or crashing, and the Caller was able to open up a template that had been giving her issues as well.

The call probably took twice as long as it needed to thanks to the Caller's need to frequently restate the life story of the problem, plus regale me with how long its been since she was able to get some of her work done thanks to the various issues she'd been having, blah blah blah yakkity shmackity.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

The lady needed help with her software, so before she made the call, she tied an onion to her belt, which was the style at the time.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You know how in the military, they have "brevity" codes? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multise...l_brevity_code) So they don't waste time yammering on the radio when they have to get their point across fast? Like when someone's shooting at your aircraft?

We need a system like that in customer service.

Because I'm bingo patience with people who want to tell me their entire life's story while I got 3 other lines lighting up and someone who's credit card is winchester.

If it's not transaction related, then Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform, people
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        The lady needed help with her software, so before she made the call, she tied an onion to her belt, which was the style at the time.
        Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I get these calls all the time. Instead of just telling me what they want done, they feel the need to explain WHY they want it done.

I remember one call, it took 20 minutes just to find out that this person wanted a simple rekey of their premises. That 20 minutes was filled with very specific information about how they were going through a divorce, and constant whining about their ex-husband.

Seriously, all I want to hear is what you want done, give you a price, get booking information, and get the hell off the phone. That one call in total took nearly 40 minutes, for what should have been a 5 minute call.

These people may have no life, but we have work to do, and they're chewing up our valuable time because they feel lonely. I can understand that they're lonely, but don't they have friends for that, and not their local tradie?
          Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

They pop up prolifically on Judge Judy...

'What date did the assault take place on?' 'Well,I was over there because she'd been badmouthing my cousin,who was nothing to do with it,and I only hit her because I was defending myself,and her husband was there too,but he shouldn't have been,because he's out from jail for doing drugs'....
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

We get thise, oh, lord, so we get these! There's one guy whose name I dread seeing on my screen, because this man will not shut up. I once spent nearly an hour on the phone with him taking about five ads, because he had to tell me the reason he bought each item he was now selling, why he was selling it, its entire history in his house, why he had moved back to our area, why he'd moved away in the first place...and on and on and on....

He was the type you can't stop. Saying "Excuse me" didn't register. I couldn't get a word in to get him back on track. He's probably still talking.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                They pop up prolifically on Judge Judy...
                I like how she handles them.

Interrupting "I asked for a date"
                Ramble ramble
                Hits the desk "A DATE"
                Ramble
                BANG BANG BANG "A DATE, NOTHING ELSE. I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH THAN A DATE" BANG BANG BANG

Comment

My wife, bless her, is bad for rambling on before getting to the problem. Her issue is that she has a story and a way that she wants to tell it, and to interrupt at all will completely blow her off track and cause a backlash. I've learned to be patient and just listen until she's completely done. Her parents? Not so much. It drives me most nuts when does this over the phone when it's a technical issue, or when at a store trying to resolve an issue. Most folks just want you to state your problem, resolve it, so that you go away. She has yet to learn that lesson though.
                  But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                  And it's not what I wanted to be
                  The weight on me
                  Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                  X