This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming Babies in the Career Center

I currently work in a Career Center run by a popular thrift store chain. It's basically a computer lab and a small classroom that is used to help people obtain employment. We are open to the general public. This place is also only 1500 sq ft and is an amphitheater of sound. There is no music, the computers are tucked away under the kiosks, it's just as quiet (creepy quiet in my opinion). So you can just imagine how noise just bounces off the walls and echos for ever.

In comes this woman wanting to fax something off, with her she brings a shopping cart with her twins. She has to register first, takes 10 minutes. One is slamming the collapsible seat over and over while the other leans over the cart attempting to touch her mother saying "Mommy, mommy,mommy..." This is already annoying.

She goes to the back and tries to fax, while leaving the cart with her kids in it across the room. They obviously don't like it very much at all and start whaling. I walk over to her and calmly state that she'll have to leave as she's disturbing everyone else. She gets flustered "I" just have to fax this and I"ll leave" She has a mess of papers, some stapled, things that obviously have to be copied first. This will not be a quick in and out. I tell her "I'm sorry, but if you cannot calm them down, you have to leave now". She ignores me and continues fiddling with her mess of papers. I try to help her but she has no clue what she needs to fax and what she doesn't. I finally have to say "You're disturbing the class and everyone in the center, please come back when your kids have calmed down"

She snatches the buggy with the whaling kids and proclaims how rude we are and that she'll never be back.

I am soo uncomfortable having to tell parents that their kids can't run around the center, jump on the furniture, play with equipment, open drawers, or scream uncontrollably. They're always mad at me, like it's my fucking fault.

Last week here.. I cannot wait!

I can sympathize... we get customers come in with rammy kids all the time. I ignore their babbling and outbusts (it's a computer store so there's not often multiple customers in here who would be disturbed) however I do watch the kids like a hawk.

We once had a desk in our front window to show off a couple of monitors and desktop computers. One of the monitors was one of those big old CRT's - and this one guy's 3 year old is YANKING ON THE CABLE IN THE BACK while he's talking to me and ignoring the kid. I finally had to point out the potential for a massive head injury if he yanked the cable any more so dad would get the kid under control.

Some of them try to run behind our counter where we keep various implements of mass destruction that can burn, cut, crush, slice, freeze and otherwise puree their special snowflakes. It blows my mind how few parents seem to actually keep an eye on their kids in a potentially dangerous place.

Comment

Good for you for giving her and the screaming brats the boot! I'm sure everyone else in that center appreciated it. Too many people are too worried about offending the people being inconsiderate that the people they're being inconsiderate to just end up having to take it. Hooray for bubblelittlepally!
      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
        with her she brings a shopping cart with her twins.
        Is the career center attached to one of the popular chain's thrift stores? I was curious whether she came in from an attached store or if she came in off the street and had permanently "borrowed" a cart from somewhere. Which happens to be a huge peeve of mine.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I just read the title as "screaming at babies...."
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have 2 small children so I know how hard it can be, but I still hate this kind of thing. I see it all the time and wonder why the parents think we all really enjoy hearing the screams of their kids. It's one thing if it's an infant, as long as the parent is trying to calm them I can deal with that but older kids? It is much harder to teach kids to behave in public and enforce the public behavior rules than to let them run wild but the payoff is well behaved kids! Besides that there are just some places, like a career center, that children simply don't belong!

Comment

Quoth freespirit114 View Post
              I see it all the time and wonder why the parents think we all really enjoy hearing the screams of their kids.
              I have a theory that parents become deaf to the exact tone/frequency of their child's voice (much like a husband becomes deaf to what my father calls the "wife frequency). I've seen it over and over again. The child is squawking, "Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mommy! Mommy! MommyMommyMommy! MOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOM!!!" Meanwhile, the mother continues browsing through the store, humming to herself, completely oblivious to the noise that makes the rest of us physically cringe. I've been known to tell these parents, "Answer it already! It's not going to stop until you answer it!" The look of utter shock on their faces is priceless.
              "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                I have a theory that parents become deaf to the exact tone/frequency of their child's voice (much like a husband becomes deaf to what my father calls the "wife frequency). I've seen it over and over again. The child is squawking, "Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mommy! Mommy! MommyMommyMommy! MOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOMMOM!!!" Meanwhile, the mother continues browsing through the store, humming to herself, completely oblivious to the noise that makes the rest of us physically cringe. I've been known to tell these parents, "Answer it already! It's not going to stop until you answer it!" The look of utter shock on their faces is priceless.
                YES. THIS.

If I'd been in that place with kids screaming bloody murder I'd have left. I can't take that anymore.

Interesting theory: I once heard some child psychologist or somesuch explain that the reason the kid keeps repeating MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY over and over is that he's waiting for her to LOOK AT HIM (or her) before telling her whatever he wants to say. The kid wants her full attention. Makes sense.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Interesting theory: I once heard some child psychologist or somesuch explain that the reason the kid keeps repeating MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY over and over is that he's waiting for her to LOOK AT HIM (or her) before telling her whatever he wants to say. The kid wants her full attention. Makes sense.
                  This is true.

When I was a kid, I was always telling Mom about every little detail about my favorite shows (He-Man, for instance), and she'd be busy doing Mom Stuff, and giving the usual "Uh-huh, that's nice, dear" responses...

...until I said, "Mommy, listen with your eyes."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X