This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You eat stuff off the floor?

Quick thing that happened today. I was making a bacon cheeseburger. In the process of moving the bacon from the grill to counter, I dropped a piece on the reasonably filthy anti-fatigue mat that covers the floor in the kitchen. I like bacon, so I picked up the piece and consumed it. Now, our kitchen is separated from the dining room by no more than a counter and a chin-high partition. So, you can stand at the counter and watch us cook. A woman, whom had already eaten, was watching me cook while Anglo-Sassin' made her milkshake. She looked at me and said, "I can't believe you just did that. You eat stuff off the floor? And you're preparing our food? I can't believe you just did that. That's disgusting."

I replied, "How does my eating stuff off the floor compromise your food? That you've already eaten?"

She said, "You could get very sick you know. It's disgusting." That's all she said, she took her milkshake and left. Aside from confirming that people don't listen when I talk, they just wait for their turn to speak, this exchange reminded me that people seem to believe that if something is gross it must be able to make them sick, such as toilet seats in public bathrooms.
    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

I wonder if that was the same lady who threw an absolute hissy when she saw the pharmacist flip a tablet over with her finger so she could see the tablet markings.

Oddly enough, she was getting Valtrex. She's worried about the pharmacist touching her pill with the tip of a freshly washed finger, yet she's getting herpes medication. Maybe we should be careful about OTHER things we touch, lady.

Comment

I like going to places where the folks touch the food. When I worked at CorpCoffee35, I got so hyper-aware of "omigodtouchingfood" that I sometimes wanted gloves before preparing my OWN meal. So I enjoy this sushi place my friends like (vegitarian. I go for the mango ice cream). Last time we sat right next to the preparation counter and I watched this middle-aged japanese man deftly handle the fishes and rices and shrimp tails, forming the little whatsits for our consumption. I get a twinge of "gloves?" and then just enjoy. You shake hands with someone and then eat something, same thing. Germs are everywhere, totally deal with it.

That said, I have to feel that the person's cleanliness isn't comprimized. They sneeze into their hands, I'm gonna be sad.

Comment

I agree totally, Sofar. Unless there's dirt and debris on the food, which is a whole different kind of nasty, the amount of microbes gathered from a quick contact is nothing worse than what you'd get from handling your change before biting into the burger. Nothing saliva and stomach-acid can't get rid of!
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Yep, it's something like 10 seconds before a significant transfer can take place between surfaces, barring things like liquids or dirt sticking. It's quite safe, and I did it on a regular basis.
          Until the carpet fuzz cashew. *shudder* Now I take a quick inspection of anything I drop before I "dispose" of it.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

"5 second rule! 5 second rule!!"

"Maybe we should switch to the 10 second rule!"
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Waaay back at my first job, I worked at an ice cream stand. The boss (my uncle!) was of course picky about sanitation and all of that - toothbrushes were used to clean various machines on a regular basis. And with good reason to be picky, but...

One night I got a customer that was all offended when I told her no, we don't wash our hands between *every* customer. We could serve as many as 200 people a night - EACH. Impossible. Lines out of the parking lot and we're supposed to wash our hands between every person?

So I told her no, but we do have rags soaked in a bleach solution (mild, but still effective) to wipe our hands off......
              Well, that wasn't good enough and *gasp* I'm handling dirty money and then her food? Of course when I pointed out she handled the exact same money and then was holding her cone (having removed the napkin) without washing *her* hands, she and went away, still fuming but knocked off of her soapbox.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post

So I told her no, but we do have rags soaked in a bleach solution (mild, but still effective) to wipe our hands off......
                Well, that wasn't good enough and *gasp* I'm handling dirty money and then her food? Of course when I pointed out she handled the exact same money and then was holding her cone (having removed the napkin) without washing *her* hands, she and went away, still fuming but knocked off of her soapbox.
                HAHAHAHHA!!! Good comeback. Seriously, most ice cream places either hold the cones with a napkin or sometimes the cones come with a paper sleeve. As long as they aren't coughing/sneezing all over themselves and wash their hands periodically, I don't worry too much. I usually get ice cream in a cup, anyway...I like to let it get a little melty and mix it up
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Back in my Burger King days we had a woman go ballistic on us. Apparently while waiting in line she saw our drive thru clerk smoking on her ten minute break. When she got to the window she demanded that someone else had her the food instead of the "nasty smoker." She refused to believe that the worker had washed and sanitized their hands immediately after the break.

This woman lectures us about germs and takes her change. Dirty grubby money that has been in God knows how many hands. And then with that same hand grabs a burger and starts chowing down as she drives away.
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Like a customer can prove a point....

Half of the time they were just wiping their nose with their hand or picking their ears or pimples....

And they get all bent out of shape over someone who just smoked a cigarette or took a sip of soda pop.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Dude, when I was little, I ate dirt all the time (I liked the feeling of grit in my teeth, still do, actually...just a texture I like for some reason). I mean, walking out to the sand in the yard, sticking my fingers in the sand, and sucking on them to get dirt and chew on it. And I did get sick my fair share as a kid, but it was never from eating dirt, it was from OTHER PEOPLE.

(I also ate crayons, soap, leaves, grass, cat food, pine cones, and other various things, and made a fair attempt at trying to eat pots, pans, and pennies. I was just one of those kids. I still like the taste of metal, heh heh.)
                      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

When I worked at Wendy's, I was taking orders in the drive-thru one night, while making the drinks for each order while another person handled the food.

A woman was sitting at the window watching me while I took an order involving about 5 different drinks. So naturally, as I make each drink, I press the little tabs on each lid to distinguish the drinks from one another.

Well, as my co-worker hands this lady her food, she tells him to fetch the manager. Okay..."WTF?" is going through our heads but the manager comes to the window. The woman tells the manager that I'm sticking my fingers in peoples' drinks.

My manager does a laudable job of keeping a straight face until the woman pulls off. After she leaves, we all share a good laugh.

And I always thought fingertaste was the best flavor on the market!

Comment

If you think about it, gloves are not a guarantee of germ-free cleanliness. For example, Worker A could be gloveless, but wash their hands often. They make an effort to be clean. Worker B could be wearing the same gloves all day, while wiping their nose and taking out trash. I'll have Worker A prepare my food, thankyouverymuch.

And as for Sofar and the bacon - what's it to her? It's not like he picked the bacon up and put it on a customer's burger.
                          And...even if Sofar did get sick from the floor food, it would not be communicable like a cold or virus. Food poisoning is not contagious. Therefore, no other food was compromised.

Comment

I had horses when I was a kid and I was always eating in the barn/while on my horse. Many times I did this without scrubbing my hands first, just rinsed them off with the hose and dried them on my shirt. Amazingly I am still alive and wasn't sick that much as a kid except for things like chicken pox which you don't catch from dirt.

I read somewhere that everyone eats a bushel of dirt in their lifetime so what's the big deal about following the 5 second rule as long as you eat it yourself and don't serve it to a customer.

Comment

Haaaa.
                              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                              X