This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
    (I also ate crayons, soap, leaves, grass, cat food, pine cones, and other various things, and made a fair attempt at trying to eat pots, pans, and pennies. I was just one of those kids. I still like the taste of metal, heh heh.)
    This thread reminded me of something I'd heard a couple years ago, and this article is the freshly-googled version. MystyGlyttyr up there might even be a little healthier than the antibacterial-crazed folks. Likely has a better immune system. Not dissing those with a naturally weak immune system, but over-sterylizing a home can harm a child's chances of building up antibodies and the like.

So hey! EAT that bacon (and those crayons, soaps, leaves, grasses, cat foods, pine cones, and other sundries). Your life will be fuller. Richer. And hell, even a little more thrilling.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
      (I also ate crayons, soap, leaves, grass, cat food, pine cones, and other various things, and made a fair attempt at trying to eat pots, pans, and pennies. I was just one of those kids. I still like the taste of metal, heh heh.)
      Pica much?

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
        Pica much?
        better than coprophagia...
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

a bushel of dirt isn't all we eat; the government allows a certain level (albeit, very low) bug parts, rat/mouse feces and other yummy things into food. i remember reading this back in junior high; do i worry about it? not really, nothing is fully germ/dirt free, so why worry about things that can't be fixed?

as for bacon woman, psht; i've done things like that as well. five second rule must be a new thing to her...
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

The five second rule doesn't work at my house. While to me, it's the five second rule, my rottweiler can get there to devour the dropped portions in two, easily.

And if she doesn't make it to snatch it up, it doesn't matter how long or short of time it spends on the floor, it WILL pick up dog hair.
            Check out my cosplay social group!
            http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I had a tomcat once who could literally catch the food I dropped before it hit the floor. Of course, if he was feeling particularly ambitious, he'd try to jump up and snatch it out of my hand, too.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I've always wondered why my immune system has seemed to be through the roof while everyone else around me gets sick at the drop of a hat, heh.

*looks up pica*

Huh. Yeah, that sounds about right. I have to admit I'll still chew on a penny now and then when no one's looking. LOL But at least my mom taught me well enough that I never ate anything that was IMMEDIATELY poisonous, no matter how tempting it was.

*looks up coprophagia*

Oh thank God no.
                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I did ask the person working at the deli counter to change her gloves once, but she had just been handling raw bacon and I was getting shaved ham that I wouldn't be cooking, and I asked in a nice way (I don't know why my grocery store puts the raw bacon with sandwich meats).

I'm very germaphobic and have a great fear of cross contamination, but I have no idea how that lady got it into her head that someone else's eating off the floor could have any affect on her.
                  Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
                  ~Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think this may be a job for the TV show "Myth Busters" to look into
                    And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

They did that show already. It was pretty good.
                      A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
                      Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I'm also a fellow pica-er. I've been told it has to do with the fact that I'm iron-deficient anemic, but who knows. I tend more towards straws, plastic stuff, and I love chewing on toothbrushes, as well as ice and the occasional sucking on (clean!) pennies. I also used to eat dog food outta the dog's bowl as a child.

As long as you don't scratch your a$$ before you touch my food, I don't really care. Besides, so long as I'm oblivious, it doesn't hurt me.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth chrislb View Post
                          They did that show already. It was pretty good.
                          Here's a quick write up of the results...
                          Mythbusters 5 second rule

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
                          This thread reminded me of something I'd heard a couple years ago, and this article is the freshly-googled version.
                          That's exactly what I think. One time, my cousin emailed a link to his online photo album showing the playhouse he bought for his daughters. Well, it was one of those new plastic ones you see that are "safe" for children. The album included a spot for people to leave comments, so I left one where I talked about how growing up we used old lumber that had splinters and rusty nails for our playhouses, and how his looked like it probably used the new "anti-bacterial" plastics, etc...
                          Strange how I never got another email with links to his photo albums again.

Comment

My cousin brushed back a few strands of hair with the back of her wrist, not her hand, her wrist, while working at McDonald's, and some woman with a stick up her butt reported her for it. The manager wrote her up for it. I'm guessing the woman said she ran her fingers through her hair and gave herself a scalp masage before handling her food with her bare hands or something.

Comment

Jack--I feel the same way. It cracks me up how "safe" everything is nowadays. I beat the crap outta myself as a child, and played in dirty lake water all summer, and I'm fine today. Well, mostly...
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

My general belief is we're all going to get sick no matter what we do, there's so much crap floating out there and we're very selectively hygenic, and I'm not being sent to my deathbed by something that's been on the floor for six seconds. Germs are invisible, you can't be certain where they're coming from, and the ones that will kill you will probably come from where you least expect them. People are just trying to control something they can't. And things that are gross will not necessarily make you sick.
                                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Working...
                                X