Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started out signing my name properly, with my middle initial. And every single time, I had to stop in the middle of my first name and think how to fininsh. Either there are too many letters or those particular brain cells are missing. (Maybe it was that time I fell down the stairs as a toddler; I don't know...) At any rate, at some point hurriedness and carpal tunnel took over and I just started using the initial-wavy line-initial-wavy line format. I'm not lazy, just always in a hurry, like most Americans, and the carpal tunnel doesn't help. If I shop at work and have to sign on a screen, I just scribble now. The company doesn't seem to care. I don't consider myself irresponsible or disrespectful or lacking integrity for it. I know that I am still legally responsible for that scribble, and I would recognize it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't get why not using a "standard" script is even remotely an issue to anyone. It's a signature, and really it should only ever have to match previous signatures.

My signature is actually fairly nice. I pity anyone that tries to copy it, however, as it's got an awful lot of bumps and loops to it, and there's a trick to how I link up the letters in the last part.

I'm actually fairly good at doing other people's signatures. My mom has had me do hers (one of those "nice cursive" ones, incredibly easy to copy), and an old friend of the family had me do hers, once, when she was too high to answer the door for the pizza guy (she was a leftie with neat writing, so hers was easy, even when I was only 16). *shakes head* My ex was one of those that was an initial for each name, and a bit of a half-hearted trail for the rest of each name. That one was dead easy, too.

My boss is one of those that has a morphing signature, so it's different every week. He only signs his family name, and it's a huge initial with some squiggles and loops at the end. He has a variety of different people here sign things for him (he's out of the office a lot due to cancer treatments) and the only time we've had issues with a signature was on stuff he signed himself.

Quoth auntiem View Post
      The ones that bug me are the ones where the name is say Tom Tuttle and the signature is three big loops and a scribble (wha? that isn't even close) but it is consistant with everything else - so it is valid.
      Actually, it depends on how you write your T. The cursive T is a crossbar at the top with a swooping line below, almost like a capital J. I've seen a lot of people who will round the top right bit that's supposed to be a pointy bit and it ends up being a big loopy letter, not incredibly different than a D but without the bar on the left.

.... can you tell I'm the one around here that gets to decypher funky writing when nobody else can?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I inventoried at the hospital, I had to sign every pick ticket, which could be as much as 50 in one day. In situations like that, I sign my name quicker and it's not as neat, but I still make it legible. On the other hand, if I'm buying something at a store and I need to sign the credit card receipt, since I'm not in a hurry, I slow it down and write neatly.
        Last edited by hotelnpa; 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

My signature's legible; however, it's so big and loopy that it doesn't really fit on the back of my card, so the sig on the card is very cramped.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Every time I sign my full name it looks different, but I'm sure if it ever became an issue a professional could tell it was by the same person.

At work I have to sign off orders and I just initial them (and it looks substantionally different each time)

When I sign my artwork I use Silvercat in a box (like this):

=======
            ||SIL||
            ||VER||
            ||CAT||
            =======

I've wondered if I could make it my official signature, but since I kinda want to change my name and I might be moving to Japan in five years (where you stamp things instead of signing them) I'm not going to mess with it.

I just can't do pretty cursive with out going really slow and it's not 'me' so I don't bother. My signature and writing is all chicken scratches.
            Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Just make your mark, people. I don't care if it's a cartouche. Go wild.

You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

My ...
                My mom always had a very neat signature. From the time I was in 4th grade, until I graduated High School, I could forge it perfectly. This saved me much trouble in school, as I was something of a "unique" child. My sig is not so easily reproducible - or so my kids have told me.

It is my first and middle initials, along with a vague representation of my last name. It perfectly matches my drivers license sig, as well as the sig on my credit cards. I don't want a signature that anyone else can easily reproduce.

Of course, I know my signature is weird, so if I am asked for ID, I understand and gladly show it.

Comment

Never understood why they taught us cursive in elementary school and then every school form we filled out said "Please Print"?

A month ago, our gift department was missing a Fed Ex package and when they inquired about it, Fed Ex sent an email that said it was delivered and I had signed for it.

Problem, it was delivered on a Monday and I don't work mondays.

I went online, entered the tracking number, called up the signature verification and there was the name of a different employee.

Even they never bothered to double check the signature. Because I was the first person to sign using their new Star Trek PADD, every package since then was recorded as being delivered to me, despite the signature.
                  "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Dark Psion: File a complaint with the FedEx people. For whatever reason, I know my old house got a high percentage of lazy slacker delivery people for FedEx, UPS, and the USPS. And my company was fighting about a slacker UPS guy for a while, too.

Our regular FedEx guy always asks confirmation on the last name, no matter how many times we've signed anything. As far as I know, they're all supposed to do that.

Back OT: I have a fun mark I use for initials. Since my first initial is a P, and I don't use downstrokes for the first letter unless there is no other stroke to the letter, it ends up being this large circle. My last initial used to be an M, so if I did the P then went straight into the M, the M would end up inside the P. I used to say it looked like a bat against the moon. (why, yes, Halloween is my favorite holiday) Now it's a print-style A inside the circle of P, so it tends to look like a pentacle.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My signature is horrible. I developed it back in high school when we would turn in papers that we wouldn't want grades on if the teacher gave them bad ratings. That way you can just deny the paper is yours and write a different one.

That being said, it may be a scribble, but nobody will be able to duplicate it.
                      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

my legal sig is backwards. Yes, I can read and write backwards. Yes, if you hold up the paper and look thru the back it is perfectly legible.

I get a lot of double takes and a lot of comments when cashiers notice and if they don't react or say something, I know they didn't actually look or pay attention.

The back of my cards are signed, very small sig & a huge SEE ID.

I had the worst time getting the guy at the dmv to put my sig on my license correctly.
                        Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

I hate the "X" people. The largest family in the US.....

Comment

Working...
                          X