Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not even a paying customer, and still....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
    You should have grabbed a bat and re-enacted the scene from "Falling Down". Kidding of course
    Actually, I did do something like that. I did a karate kick on this sign he had outside, knocking it over. I then jumped into my truck and peeled wheels right as he was coming outside, threatening again to call the police if I did not leave. All of this over trying to get some change over a $1 bill. It made me wonder what this man does when one buys gasoline for $15 (not heard of anymore) and gives him a $20 bill.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
      And let me guess, he did not have a sign saying "EXACT CHANGE ONLY", right?
      Of course he didn't. He was just being an ass because a few minutes earlier, I had a minor argument with him trying to get four measly quarters from a $1 bill. This was his way of showing me that he wasn't going to help me no matter what.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        Back before gift cards, we used to just issue a new GC for the balance if it was a significant amount (though we didn't actually have to).
        I don't think it would have worked in Florida. What's terrible about this is the oldie goldie out of state retirees that have no business even being here are the ones who intimidate employees into giving them what they want, no matter what the rules say in their old, wrinkly skinned faces.

Comment

Ugh I've got a story for ya on this topic...

I'm taking care of lottery for a guy who wants to cash in his winning lottery tickets. I'm working on getting the validation printed out and stapled to the tickets while I female customer came in and stood at the counter. "I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with this customer ma'am" and she looks a bit irritated... w/e.

I'm almost done with the guy and she's like "can I get some service?". "I said I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with the customer before you". She huffs and puffs, I laugh on the inside.

Guy buys lottery tickets with the winnings, I ring him up and he's on his merry way.

Girl: I want change for this.

Bitch! I should have given an excuse to not give her change, but I gave her her change and she left.

Comment

See, with someone like bwitch lady who wanted some service despite the customer ahead of her in line, I'd have told her that I only give change to PAYING CUSTOMERS, not flyby consumers who just show up off the street. In other words, buy something if you want change. I figure that I'm not obligated to them if they're not intending to make a purchase. However, I only pull that stunt on the rude jerks and clueless idiots. If they're nice about it, I usually go ahead and help them however I can, and they remember that.

Take for instance this one lady I remember who was in town on business. She had gotten coffee at one of the local McDonald's. My opinion of service at the local McDonald's is very low as I usually have to go back to get the right order two or three times if I don't think to check it before I leave. Then, I have to wait an eternity on them to figure out that my order really was simple the first time around. Anyway, this lady stood in line and waited patiently. She approached the counter with her McDonald's coffee in hand, and politely asked if she could have a couple of packs of sugar from the coffee bar. She explained that they took forever to get her a simple cup of coffee at the drive thru, and still didn't give her any packets of sugar for it. I could tell despite her gracious demeanor toward me that she left just because she was angry enough to explode on them for that horrible bit of service. I appreciated that she didn't decide to take that frustration out on me. I told her that it would be okay, honestly a little surprised that someone was actually considerate enough to ask permission rather than just assuming entitlement. The next day, this same lady came in and purchased about $35 worth of gas. The assistant manager and I were working together. The lady beamed a big smile at me as she approached the door. I smiled back and greeted her as I waited on my line of customers. The assistant manager was stocking the cooler. Little did I know that the lady had spotted the AM as she made her round through the store to get snacks and a drink, and bragged on me for giving her the sugar packets and being nicer to her than McDonald's had been. So, this lady became a "regular" customer during her stay in town. She came in a couple more times, and we developed that regular customer-style rapport. It was kind of sad to get the news on her last visit that she would be returning home. I even made a joke about asking her to send one of the sucky customers back home in her place because good customers are in short supply. She sympathized commenting about how sometimes the bad behavior finds its way on both sides of the counter. We both laughed over it. It just goes to show that there are still good customers out there even if they are rare.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
              This is off the topic thread for a moment, but isn't this why they did away with gift certificates?

I bought a pack of gum and got $24 and some change back, much to the disgust of the store manager.
              Some stores, like BE's and one I worked for, will give you a certificate for the difference.

The reason given was the store not knowing whether the GC had been purchased with cash or a credit card. We weren't supposed to give cash back on a returned item that had been paid for by a credit card, so the logic extended to the GCs.

I like the new gift cards better. No hassle, you know the exact amount, the clerks seem happier, I like 'em!
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

My old Co-manager would not consider Shoplifters "customers". I thought it was funny how he can categorize people like that.
                Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I'm kind of amazed that nobody commented on this.... the customer in the OP was being annoying and ... well, ridiculous. But anywhere I've ever worked, the employee would have been fired for speaking to a customer like that unless she'd physically threatend his first-born or something. As a manager/supervisor, I'd sure as hell reprimand them if nothing else.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

good point tollbaby.

Comment

Quoth JustAGirl View Post
                      Ugh I've got a story for ya on this topic...

I'm taking care of lottery for a guy who wants to cash in his winning lottery tickets. I'm working on getting the validation printed out and stapled to the tickets while I female customer came in and stood at the counter. "I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with this customer ma'am" and she looks a bit irritated... w/e.

I'm almost done with the guy and she's like "can I get some service?". "I said I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with the customer before you". She huffs and puffs, I laugh on the inside.

Guy buys lottery tickets with the winnings, I ring him up and he's on his merry way.

Girl: I want change for this.

Bitch! I should have given an excuse to not give her change, but I gave her her change and she left.

It's called WAIT YOUR DAMN TURN!! Sheesh...

Comment

I have had worse than people wanting change... Ive had homeless people come in and try to cash in their pan handling for notes.
                        We finally had to put a ban on changing our for them because 4 of them came in at once and demanded that I wait on them instead of the customers.

They would say "this is 5 bucks worth" and then get really annoyed when I counted it out and found it was only $2 or $3, they would get even worse if I made them wait off to the side while I admitted patrons to the fucking gallery (the entire reason I was employed!)

I never minded the person who came up and asked POLITELY for change for the packing metre but I would and did refuse to those who would literally toss a coin across the counter and say "change". Most of them smartened up when I responded "only with a please and thankyou or theres a bank across the street how about you go there?"

ahh the joys of working for a government funded facility.... the ability to be rude when and if it was needed!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                        X