This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a Chinchilla

I run a non profit Ferret Shelter, I get an email from a guy who says he will need to surrender his ferret, he is no longer able to care for it. Okey Dokey, no problem. I was able to rehome 6 of them this month, so I have the room.

The guy shows up with a rather small cage (I never would've used it as a ferret cage, a bunny maybe) he has the animal in a carrier, I reach in to grab it and I jerked my hand back.. it did not feel right. I look in and it's a Chinchilla.

Me: Yeah, that's not a ferret
    Him: It's not?
    Me: No, that's a Chinchilla

Turns out the Chinchilla was his now deceased best friends.

So I have a Chinchilla now.. It's so soft.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Awwww, Chinchilla!

We have a Degu, not as cute or big, but just as soft - definitely get the lil guy a bowl for dusting, it's awesome to watch! Wish we were by you, hubby has been talking about getting another ferret one of these days, his first passed on from old age, but I know he misses the crazy little antics.
    Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

What are chinchillas like as pets? I have seen pictures of them and they are amazingly cute [well so are hedghogs, not sure how they are as pets either]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

We used to have a ferret that was the best. Never bit, played well with the cats and dog, and even would climb back into his cage to use the litterbox when we let him roam around. He got adrenal gland disease and we had to put him to sleep as we could not afford the operation. We have thought about getting another ferret, but there is no ferret rescue around here.

Comment

Chinchillas are awesome pets, but a word of warning, I'd put a lock of some sort (not twist ties) on the door of it's cage, a bored Chinchilla is an escape artist. The woman who I got mine from told me that, we didn't listen, mine escaped and came to find me to see what was going on when he got bored one night. My friend's escaped too, she thinks he didn't before because he had a buddy to keep him busy, several other people I know had theirs pull a escape too. So, make sure to make sure he can't get out. Chinchillas love to run so a wheel is great, and things to chew on, I expect that part isn't that much different then a ferret. Oh! Don't forget volcano dust, they need to roll in it to clean themselves, make sure to get some, then stick around to watch him roll, it's HILARIOUS, mine got a bath anytime we had guests because everyone enjoyed watching him spin.
          Have fun! They are great pets.
          Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Chinchilla rescue to the rescue!
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Way back in '03, our apartment manager at the place we were living at the time called us one day asking if we could possibly watch after a chinchilla until she could find it a home. One of the people living there had been sitting for a friend and the friend became unable to come back and get the lil guy. We decided we could watch him for awhile, but only until the apt manager found him a good home.

We called her the next day and told her he now had a good home. She said that was kind of why she asked us to watch him in the first place. And I still have him to this day
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Yeah, I went and dropped almost 100$ on this guy, I put him in a proper cage too. Got him a dust bath, pine shavings, a wheel.

He's so soft! I just can't get over it! I got a good book on how to care for them.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

*ahem* This thread is worthless without pics. Just sayin...

(I damn near bought a Chinchilla once, it was so sweet and friendly).
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

...so....someone gave you a grey pikachu instead of a ferret? D:
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Hee, yes a Chinchilla looks JUST like a ferret, doesn't it When I had ferrets, people called them everything from Skunks to Rabbits.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Pics, must have pics!!! I have always wanted a Chinchilla. they are so cute. If we could have pets I would talk the hubby into one. Don't care if they are really pricey.
                        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Yes, please post some pics of your chinchilla and ferrets so we can all see the difference.

Comment

Is it possible to ferret-proof a house/apt? I've heard they love to squirrel things away and hide in the tiniest cracks every chance they get.

Comment

Yes, it's quite possible. Lay down on your belly and look at everything. Seal EVERY crack, and so forth.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                              X