This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toothache from hell

I've had a nasty toothache for the last few days. Have to wait till Monday till I'm able to go to the dentist to have it taken care of. The ONLY thing that works to kill the pain is Ibuprofen. 800 mg & it lasts for 8 hours!
    Never had a toothache before & this pain is horrendous!

Ice worked really well for me when I had an impacted molar. Depending on the cause of the pain, making up a paste from a crushed aspirin and applying it directly to the hurting tooth can help.

Comment

I've had some success with crushed garlic wrapped in a coffee filter if the pain was from infection.

or teething gel...
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oddly enough, with some of my toothaches I've applied some antiseptic mouthwash to both sides of the gumline of the affected tooth, and it's helped. I'm not sure why.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Clove Oil. Natural and if you can handle the taste, it works great/

Comment

I was about to suggest clove oil, too. Awesome stuff.

Comment

No matter what they fuckin hurt. Toothaches can make you pissy without you even knowing it.
              Hugs and painkillers!
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                Oddly enough, with some of my toothaches I've applied some antiseptic mouthwash to both sides of the gumline of the affected tooth, and it's helped. I'm not sure why.
                This works for me too (scotch works also) I hope you feel better soon.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                  This works for me too (scotch works also) I hope you feel better soon.

I've had cramps from hell that didn't hurt this bad....lol.

Comment

I've heard Orajel's great for toothaches. It's a lot like novicane, though, so you'll actually feel numb in the general vicinity of where you apply it, including your tongue.
                    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                    Fiancee: What?!
                    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      Because it's infected, and the antiseptic probably knocked the infection down a bit.

BrightStar, I hope you feel better soon! Tooth pain is horrendous...it's what finally forced me to go back to the dentist.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I vote for continuing the ibuprofen, keeping it in your system. Just want to be sure your doc says 800mg is ok for you. (It is for most people, but there are differences). I have soooooo been there with the toothaches and stuff. My teeth get worked on more than my car!
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                          Ice worked really well for me when I had an impacted molar.
                          I don't recommend ice for an abscessed tooth, it can exacerbate the infection, even when you're taking antibiotics.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how does ice make an abscess worse?
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Bacteria are typically happier at temperatures lower than normal body temperature, and neutrophils, cells your body produces to fight infection, work much better at higher temperatures. This is why you get a fever when you're sick, it's your body altering conditions to improve its ability to fight disease.

Comment

Working...
                              X