X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC I Witnessed

To the Mods: I couldn't find this on the postings, but I had to post this:

I take the bus to work most of the time. I travel from the East side of San Francisco Bay, across the Bay, to the town of Palo Alto (Stanford University's home). This means a lot of fellow riders are tech types and office workers. The buses are equipped with bicycle racks that hold 2 bicycles.

About twice a week a guy (Bike Guy) gets on the bus on the West side, about a half-mile before I deboard, and about a mile from the Caltrain transit station (near Stanford) where all the buses and the train meet up. He's in bike shorts, usually, with a nice mountain bike, carrying a tennis racket.

One morning we were packed and the bike rack was full. Bike Guy is waiting at his stop, but the driver can't pick him up because of the rack limit. He drives past. Bike Guy starts yelling and waving, so the driver stops. Bike Guy catches up and wants to board.

Driver: The bike rack is full. That's why I didn't stop.
    BG: Can't I bring my bike on the bus?
    Driver: No, I can't allow a bike to block the aisle.
    BG: But the other drivers do it.
    Driver: I don't know what other drivers do, but I cannot allow that bike to block the aisle. You'll have to wait for the next bus.
    BG: But I've been waiting for 40 minutes. Can't I just bring on my bike?
    Driver: No, you can't block the aisle with the bike. You'll have to wait.
    BG: But I've been waiting 40 minutes. When is the next bus?
    Driver: I don't know, probably 30 minutes or so.
    BG: But I've been waiting.
    Driver: You'll have to wait some more then. I have to go and you can't board.

Driver then closes the door and continues on.

When I got off, I said to the driver, "Forty minutes? He could have ridden to Caltrain."

The driver snorted and said, "Forty minutes? He could have ridden to New York."

Interestingly, I haven't seen Bike Guy since that day?!
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

It goes in sightings for future reference
    "They have the internet on computers now?"
    ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

My city buses got those as well.. I was wondering how they would handle more than the limit the thing held. Thats kinda why I am not doing it, other than I get good gas in my car

Comment

Ok, I needed that giggle, it was funny.

Comment

A mile? Isn't a mile 1.6km? He could have crawled to the station in 40 minutes, backwards, dragging his bicycle behind him with his teeth.

Comment

Working...
          X