This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My money's not good to them I guess

Ok, I admit, I like makeup, especially MAC. It's a little pricey, but I love the colors. I ususally go to one mall and buy it, but when I go downtown, I tend to remember a color I need to refill.

The problem is, every single time I go to the only department store that carries it downtown, I'm completely ignored. The last time, I was standing at the eyeshadows. An "artist" walks towards me and I try desperately to make eye contact (all but jump in his path and scream). He takes a step to his left and starts helping 2 other women who had just walked up and stood right next to me. Okay.....

My friend does jump in front of another guy and he helps her out. It takes some time (he helped others in the mean time), and when they're done, I walk towards him. He looks up, turns, and walks away. I just walked out.

Important:
    1) It was not busy
    2) There were 6 "artists" working, including 2 working on one girl

Should I complain? I've already decided to just get their stuff online or go to another store (or just buy drug store stuff), since I'm no good at complaining.

JF
    First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
    People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

The best way to complain is with your feet

especially if your a repeat customer, I have worked for a company like mac before and each shift has a goal to reach. Go to the place that treats you best.

believe me, if your feeling this way, other people are to and hopefully they will walk as well.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well you could have just asked for helpo. I make eye contact lots of times, and it's only when the customer has a "help me" look on their faces I even bother to pffer help.

Comment

I used to HATE loooking pushy. I'm naturally quite diffident when it comes to service, but in recent years I've got a lot more pushy in asking (politely, of course !) for service, or asserting myself in other ways.

A few weeks back, I was going to an event at my old iuniversity, and I needed an emergency manicure, because my nails looked like poo. I went into Debenhams (big department store that has a Nails, Inc in it) and went looking for the NI area. When I found it, there were a couple of the really scaring-looking over-made up cosmetics assistants, chatting with another girl. A few years back, maybe even last year, that scenario would have sent me skittering away, self-conscious of my untrendy clothes, minimal make-up and messy hair compared to them. I'll be honest and say i still felt like doing that inside...but just went up to them, smiled, and asked if there was anyone who could do me a manicure. They were really nice, the NI girl immediately greeted me and took me over to the stand, and I got my nails done.

If I'd been my old wimpy self, i'd have just gone to the event with manky nails and tried not to think about it, but a bit of summoning up of courage meant that I got nice nails for the party, and spent the afternoon sitting in the cool having someone fuss over me
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

I hate to sound like a SC, but I find a lot of cosmetic counter people act like elitists. I'm not sure why that is, I mean, they are working. It's not like they are rich ladies of leisure.

If I go in to browse on my lunch hour, dressing the way I dress now for work (I dress up nicely for my current job. After years of having to dress like a slob for work, it's nice to wear women's clothes, makeup, and pretty shoes for a change) I get treated very well. Ironically, I'm probably not buying if I'm dressed like that. Just killing some time. I go in wearing jeans, a button down blouse, and flat, easy to remove shoes and no jewelry, that's when I'm shopping to buy. I wanna try stuff on, play with makeup, try out cologne. And ironically, that's when I get the worse service. Oh, I might get stalked by someone convinced I'm a shoplifter, but they aren't all that interested in helping me as a customer.

Kind of sucks.

So if I need anything, I just look for someone, wait my turn, then lean over the counter and say, politely, "Excuse me, can you help me please?" Usually works.

I had some dude treat me in the manner you described in a freaking fabric store. How uptight can you be about your clientele working in a fabric store? I don't know why that guy had a problem with me, but he sure seemed to. Maybe he thought I was someone he knew or something. Who knows what people are thinking?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
            I hate to sound like a SC, but I find a lot of cosmetic counter people act like elitists. I'm not sure why that is, I mean, they are working.
            *Agrees with RecoveringKinkoid*

I am sure that no-one here who works on a cosmetic counter is snooty to customers - but an awful lot of those ladies are dead snooty. Buying a Chanel lipstick from someone who looks down her nose at me does NOT make me think, "Gosh, Chanel is an upmarket brand, even the sales assistants behave like the dowager duchess of Argyll", it makes me think, "F*ck this, I'll buy Dior instead, at least their assistants are friendly".

I don't think that i even give off some kind of weird "poor person" vibe. My best friend gets exactly the same treatment from these women. Well, to start with. She is pretty good at asking for exactly what she wants. But the point is, she is always well-dressed and well-turned out, plus she has more money than God - and yet the make-up ladies look down their orange noses at her as well!!
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

Here's a thought, look at those customers who are being helped? How much makeup do they have on? Odds are, It's a case of "commision picking", where the person who looks like they're going to shell out a ton of money at the drop of a hat is going to get noticed. In this case, if it looks like the person blinking is going to lose half their makeup, then the "artists" are going to practically drool.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

If you walk, they're not going to notice, or know why. The best action is with your feet, yes, stop going there. But it makes very little difference if you don't tell them why. Just find out a management address and send a letter that expresses what happened and why you now choose to shop elsewhere. Be sure to mention you don't want freebies or an incentive to come back, you are simply hoping your feedback, if combined with other similar tales, will generate an improvement in customer service in their store.

Comment

i agree; there hasn't been a time when some cosmetic counter wench hasn't looked down at me-i won't give them my time or business.

(i know it's not true of all of them, but the ones i encounter are)

if you know what you want, go online; no hassles, no pressure, just the product in your hands.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I might write a letter, since it's pretty consistent at this one store (the flagship store no less). The artists at another mall are super nice and friendly.

I usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt when I shop, and I'm not going to change that just to get an eyeshadow. I've moved on to buying stuff from MAC's site, since it's easier and they always have some free shipping deal going on. :P

JF

Comment

Quoth tonydanza
                      Well you could have just asked for helpo. I make eye contact lots of times, and it's only when the customer has a "help me" look on their faces I even bother to pffer help.
                      The problem is, you can't. They completely look past you. I can be holding samples of their products, or looking in the mirror comparing shades, etc, and still get nothing. It's set up odd too: the register has a large column between it and the eyeshadows, so if they want they can stand there and you don't even know they are there until you are walking away. Of course, this wasn't the case this particular day, as there were 2 at the register and 4-5 around the place.

JF

Comment

Well, in my area I only know one high-end make-up store (not MAC) and there are of course department stores with cosmetic counters. Now I did buy a make-up kit at JCPenny after Christmas and I've only browse counters a few times but maybe a couple people asking if I need help. I don't know I prefer buying my make-up at drug stores, discount stores and yes, those dollar stores. I even brought makeup at a beauty supply shop and local supermarket.

Anyway Jedifarfy's expereince reminds me of old oncurring (been about few years since the last) SNL skit that takes place in some NYC high-end store (I forgot the name) and well, it always starts with these 2 sales guys folding up like shirts. Then when a customer asks them something they act all snotty and tell them to go away. At the end of the skirt the boss shows up and they have to go to Europe. Anyway I know Jimmy Fallon played one sales guys and Will Farrell played the boss.
                        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                        My space
                        Facebook

Comment

Quoth rdp78
                          Well, in my area I only know one high-end make-up store (not MAC) and there are of course department stores with cosmetic counters. Now I did buy a make-up kit at JCPenny after Christmas and I've only browse counters a few times but maybe a couple people asking if I need help. I don't know I prefer buying my make-up at drug stores, discount stores and yes, those dollar stores. I even brought makeup at a beauty supply shop and local supermarket.

Anyway Jedifarfy's expereince reminds me of old oncurring (been about few years since the last) SNL skit that takes place in some NYC high-end store (I forgot the name) and well, it always starts with these 2 sales guys folding up like shirts. Then when a customer asks them something they act all snotty and tell them to go away. At the end of the skirt the boss shows up and they have to go to Europe. Anyway I know Jimmy Fallon played one sales guys and Will Farrell played the boss.
                          OMG I remember that skit! SO FUNNY! They were cracking up during it too. I don't remember who the guest host was, but he was in it too I think.

JF

Comment

Working...
                          X