This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse you, Ameribag!

Many years ago, I purchased LL Bean's healthy back bag. It was a great bag and I was fairly happy with it, except for two things: the main zipper pull broke pretty quickly and the fabric wasn't strong enough.

So, when I replaced it, a shoe salesman who rode the same commuter bus as me suggested I come in and buy an actual Ameribag from him, and he would give me a small discount. Cool. So I did. And that's where the fun ends.

Within a month, the stitching on the interior cellphone pocket came loose. I handstitched it back. Then the main zipper broke apart at the bottom. I stitched around it to hold it together, and started to consider replacing it. A few days later, as I double checked the zipper, I saw that the stitching holding the shoulder strap to the bag had come loose and the strap was half-detached.

Ameribag has a lifetime warranty, so I contacted them. Their response, after several days, boils down to this: you sent us nice pictures, but we have to inspect the bag in person, mail it to us, insured, at your expense, and we'll get back to you in 4 to 6 weeks as to whether we'll replace it.

I am ballistic. These bags are not cheap. I love the comfort of the bag, but they're certainly nothing special to look at. I wrote back and told them that since I was going to have to buy a replacement anyway while they had my bag for so long, I didn't see much point in going to the expense of mailing the bag back to them, and that I no longer would be a customer. There are plenty of other manufacturers around who now make similar items, so they're nothing special anymore.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Holy cripes, that's some horrible customer service right there. I'd tell them to send me a pre-addressed, pre-shipping stickered box or something for me to mail it in. That's just ridiculous of them to do!
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I just got an email supposedly from the CEO with the same party line in it.

Screw you, Ameribag, I'm making sure everyone I know hears about this.

There are a lot of other companies that make similar bags now, so I'll find something. I'm willing to invest in a good bag; I use the same bag everyday, so I want it to hold enough stuff and be comfortable.
      Document everything

Comment

Time to go to consumerist!

Granted, sometimes I really want to hurt that site, but I betcha they will get things DONE for you.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I was wondering where to post it. Excellent idea. Thanks!

I avoid Consumerist, too, so it didn't even come to mind.
          Document everything

Comment

Have you taken it back to the store that sold you the bag? To retain you as a customer, they may be willing to refund or exchange. Make sure to tell them about the lack of customer service. They may want to rethink carrying those products if it causes them a bad reputation.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm not sure what an Ameribag looks like nor the cost. However, I might suggest the Swiss brand, as in Swiss Army knife brand. My oldest son, a sophomore in high school, went through 3 backpacks in one year. One of those was a military grade backpack! I lucked up at Staples and located one that had been discontinued but failed to get sent back to the manufacturer. I convinced the good folks in the store to sell it to me anyway. Lucky me, I got a $130 back pack for $50! Granted, any warranty would have to go directly through the manufacturer instead of the store, but I can attest, it would be worth it. He's used the particular one for almost 6 months now and it still looks new. Just had to get the youngest (11 y.o.) a new one as well. I spent what I thought was a chunk of change on one (not Swiss brand), again at Staples. It didn't last a week. I called and asked about exchanging it. We were allowed to exchange it and I paid the difference for another Swiss backpack. Again, it still looks new.

These might be something worth checking into. Just a thought. HTH!

Comment

The return policy, which is pretty much as Wagegoth described, is on their website. Here's the warranty information.

I suspect you won't get too far with them since you attempted to make repairs on the bag yourself. They will probably say that voids the warranty. You might have better luck with the store you bought it from.

Sounds like a company that advertises a "lifetime guarantee," but makes it well nigh impossible to make them make good on it.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Sounds like a company that advertises a "lifetime guarantee," but makes it well nigh impossible to make them make good on it.
                  That, or the 'lifetime guarantee' simply means that the guarantee ends as soon as the product breaks. I always wondered about that. I mean, when a thing breaks, that's pretty much the end of its lifetime, right?

ETA: Irving is right, here's a quote copied directly from their warranty:

This warranty does not cover damage resulting from abuse, lost or stolen bags or their content, nor does this warranty cover ordinary wear and tear. We will repair or replace defective products free of charge (repair or replacement is at the sole discretion of AmeriBag Inc.) Repairs or modifications by someone other than AmeriBag or an AmeriBag authorized agent may void this warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights under the law in your state.
                  What that seems to boil down to is a worthless so called guarantee that doesn't actually cover anything.
                  Last edited by Kittish; 02-16-2012, 12:54 AM.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

IIRC, Target has those Swiss bags in the luggage dept.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I bet it had one of those shitty "coil" zippers in it.

I bought a backpack for my kid for Christmas...I am sure it cost nowhere near what yours did...but it wasn't terribly cheap, either. Second day out the damn zipper broke. Not happy. The company offered to send a replacement, but in all honesty, a replacement would have a shitty coil zipper on it. And, like you, I didn't want to go through all the hassle of sending it back.

So I took the shitty coil zipper off and replaced it with a good sturdy parka zipper.

I figured screw it, my kid loved the stupid thing so much I figured it was probably easier and less disappointing to just fix it myself.

I spent a little money so Monster High characters would be on it. You, on the other hand, spent more money in the hopes that your bag would be well made. That it isn't is not cool.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        I suspect you won't get too far with them since you attempted to make repairs on the bag yourself. They will probably say that voids the warranty. You might have better luck with the store you bought it from.
                        Meh.

A few minutes with a quickunpick or a pair of embroidery scissors and they'll have no proof she attempted repairs herself.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                        X