This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridiculous!

Discussing wireless issues with a CW this week brought back memories of this SC when I was taking pay-for-support calls for a certain computer support entity.

His problem? He called in for support on wireless issues with his laptop. For some reason, it would not connect to any router that was set up to use a security key. It would connect just fine if the network was unsecured. I knew it wasn't a router issue as he had another laptop that worked fine on the same network and security key.

I tried everything - system restore, deleting the list of saved networks, uninstalling/reinstalling the wireless NIC driver (even updating it to the newest version), cleaning up using CCleaner, and googling for other known fixes. No dice. Just... would.... not.... work. Oh, and his laptop was running Vista.

I told the guy the bad news that he is going to have to back up his stuff and format/reload. That's where he became an SC:

SC: I'm not wiping and reloading this laptop just to fix a wireless problem. That is ridiculous!

Me: As you can see, I did everything else that could work.

SC: Well is there any other suggestions?

Me: Just use an ethernet cable....

SC: That is ridiculous! I bought this laptop to be wireless. Any other suggestions?

Me: You can always make your router unsecured.

SC: I'm not opening my router to every Tom Dick and Harry! That is ridiculous!

Me: Only other thing I can suggest is to disable the built-in wireless NIC and get an aftermarket wireless card and use that. My only fear with that is if your issue is a problem with windows, it might spill over into the card you add and you're back to square one.

SC: I'm not spending any more money to fix this issue! That is ridiculous!

Me: Well then the only option.... is to back up your stuff and call us back so we can format/reload.

SC: I already told you I'm not formatting! That is ridiculous! If you're just going to tell me that then I want my money back!

Me: As the pay-for-support service is considered labor and since I have ID'ed the fix for your issue, I can give you a partial refund but there will be a diagnosis fee.

SC: That is ridiculous! I want a total refund!

Me: Sorry, but I can only issue you a partial refund. My only other suggestion is to take it to one of our store locations but you may want to back up your stuff before you do so as they may format/reload the drive if they see that's the only way to fix your issue.

SC: This is ridiculous, I may have to go find someone who can actually fix my issue!

*Click*

He called back and got a CW he knew me well, and when he told him the same thing he started ranting (wait for it) "how ridiculous it is that we want to take the easy way out and bla bla bla" how he's tech savvy himself and he shouldn't have to pay to be told something he can do himself and how we should give him his money back etc etc." I believe a sup did approve a partial refund but wouldn't budge on the diagnosis fee.

Quoth sld72382 View Post
    ... the diagnosis fee.
    In this case, more of a diaper-gnosis fee: The revelation that SC is FOS.

Full of,,, uhm,,, erm... sheep!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
    X