Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still using my 1989-vintage Northgate Omnikey Ultra at home. Yes, it's loud. It's also outlasted four computers so far. Problem is it's not only not USB, it's not even PS/2, but has the old 5-pin DIN plug; it's plugged into a PS/2 socket through an adapter you probably can't even get anymore.

Northgate went out of business because their products never wore out. (Also because nobody wanted to pay $110 in 1989 dollars for a keyboard.)

Apparently there are claims that they didn't use the real IBM keyswitches, but they're the same buckling spring type.

Comment

I've baptized a keyboard with tea ... Luckily the boss was kind -- just told me not to do it again, LOL.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Yeah, operative definition of that keyboard design is "if you fire it into a brick wall at mach 1 it will come out the winner and still function."
        I think you can say the same about the older Nokia models (the 5110, 3210 and 3310 in particular). In fact, a friend of mine once touted those models as being capable of being hurled through a window, landing on a rock face-first and being run over with a 4WD and STILL being able to function

A bit since I mentioned phones, but I figured out early on that the 3310 and 3315 phones were the same size, so I figured that the keypads were interchangeable. I should add that the phone was FAIRLY old in itself (back when they were coming out with "newer" models i.e. the 8-series).

When we went to buy a new cover for my phone AND a new keypad, the guy offered to fit it for us. As we discovered, it wouldn't fit because of the battery being so huge. He then praised me for having a phone that lasted so long because the battery was MASSIVELY old and they'd since been using slimmer models in their 3310's and 3315's. My face was like

Quoth EricKei View Post

edit: RacketMan -- did you mean "tactile feedback"? <ClippythePaperclip> ^_^

Last edited by fireheart; 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          I had one of those in junior high...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            I had one of those in junior high...
            I didn't mean it like that.....

Comment

I didn't mean it like that.....
              Well, if he had read what you had MEANT to say, it wouldn't be Dalesys, now would it?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

AHHHHH!!!!!!!

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!!!!!!

I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!!!!!!
                  Clippy: I see you're trying to burn me to a crisp.... *click*whiirrrr*kaCHUNK* PRESERVATION PROTOCOL ENGAGED...IDENTIFY THREATS...EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE!
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Clippy: I see you're trying to burn me to a crisp.... *click*whiirrrr*kaCHUNK* PRESERVATION PROTOCOL ENGAGED...IDENTIFY THREATS...EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE!

I think the appropriate response would be "I see you're trying to attack me with a flamethrower...would you like to burn me to a crisp? Melt me into a pile of goo? or turn this off because I'm so damn annoying?"

Admittedly I always used either the Dot or the Cat.

Comment

I have *two* Model M keyboards, both late 80s vintage, and they both still work fine. Well, one at a time does - one of the cable is bad, but at least it detaches. I particularly like the completely standard 102-key British layout - all the keys where they should be and doing what they should, and no extra ones that just get in the way.

I also have two Cherry keyboards with the click-type MX keyswitches - one old AT, one new USB. I think the MX is a bit less robust than the IBM type, but 16 years and counting for the older one is still good going. Both of these (and a non-click Cherry with PS/2) are standard 105-key British layouts - the Windows keys are an annoyance but otherwise fine.

I really should get around to converting the IBMs to USB.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        I have *two* Model M keyboards, both late 80s vintage, and they both still work fine. Well, one at a time does - one of the cable is bad, but at least it detaches. I particularly like the completely standard 102-key British layout - all the keys where they should be and doing what they should, and no extra ones that just get in the way.

I also have two Cherry keyboards with the click-type MX keyswitches - one old AT, one new USB. I think the MX is a bit less robust than the IBM type, but 16 years and counting for the older one is still good going. Both of these (and a non-click Cherry with PS/2) are standard 105-key British layouts - the Windows keys are an annoyance but otherwise fine.

I really should get around to converting the IBMs to USB.
                        http://clickykeyboards.com has a USB to PS-2 adapter that I'm finding works well. The only downside is that it's physically big and blocks the next port over on a lot of machines. Works well, though.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I use adapters already, but they do glitch sometimes - these old keyboards consume a lot of power, and its pretty close to the edge of the USB power spec. A new, native USB controller would solve that problem.

Comment

I have an IBM keyboard with a 5 pin DIN plug. I tried plugging it in through a DIN to PS/2 adaptor plugged into a PS/2 to USB adaptor, but that didn't work, so now I can't use it anymore.

Comment

Eeep. Yeah, I have found that "stacking" adaptors like that can be chancy, at best. >_<

Comment

I have an old IBM keyboard, not sure of the model. Just know its been around since our DOS Machine in 1992, and the only reason I don't use it anymore is because it has a 5 Pin DIN. I guess I should go get off my lazy butt to look at it. :P

Comment

Working...
                                X