Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

The Official Word on US Coins (According to Hubby)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Cosmetic Brain Surgeon

Default The Official Word on US Coins (According to Hubby)

Pennies

pre 1943: copper/tin composite (aka bronze)

1943: zinc-plated steel (a very, very few bronze pennies were minted in 1943, they are extremely rare collectors' pieces and there are probably far more forged 1943 bronzes than there are real ones)

1944-1981: copper/zinc composite

1982: some copper-plated zinc, some copper/zinc composite

1983 to present: copper-plated zinc

Nickels

pre-1942: copper/nickel composite

1942-1945: copper/silver/manganese composite

1946-present: copper/nickel composite

Dimes

pre 1964: 90% silver/10% binding metals

1964-present: nickel-clad copper (like a copper sandwich on nickel bread)

1992-present: are also available in 90% silver in special collectors' proof sets

Quarters

same history as dimes (see above)

Half Dollars

same history as dimes (see above)

Hubby always asserts that we would accept the dollar coin if the US government stopped printing dollar bills when they introduced the coin. That's how Canada did it and it worked out.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Last edited by Dips; 07-10-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Badly Translated

Quote:
Quoth stickycoins
Crackhead comes in, says she needs a favor, she doesn't have enough for her 'glass rose'(1.25) . Told her no deal. So she asks a KID(maybe 12) in line behind her for the money. I lit into her and told her that she could NOT ask any other customers for money. They do this all the time. Funny, they have money for crack. I will NOT let them 'slide' for any amount, not even a penny. I hate that I have to sell the things.
I hate to sound like an idjit, but what's a 'glass rose'? A crackhead holding a flower made of glass makes for an interesting mental picture, but something tells me that's not accurate.

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Cashier

For all you lucky folks that have never seen them, they are glass tubes about 4 inches long, about 1/4 diam. with a cheap plastic rose inside. Crackheads buy them, Chore-Boy(metal scrubbie), and at least 2 lighters. What they do is take the rose out, put some Chore in(used as a filter so they don't inhale their 'precious' rock) and light up. It must be hard to burn the stuff because they buy lighters by the gross!

I really hate crack. It's not the weed smokers breaking into our houses, it's crackheads. They will do anything for that high. Including die. A woman on my street did, just last summer. Nobody had a clue that she smoked it. Granma aged, real nice lady. She made the mistake of drinking and smoking crack. When they do that, it combines to form cocaethylene, a very deadly chemical. Stops your heart. Why do I know this? When I first started working at the store I was amazed at how many people, young/old, rich/poor, black/white bought the roses. It was the first time I had ever been anywhere near anyone who used it. I got curious and researched it online. Boy did I learn a lot. I'm no prude, but there is NO WAY you could get me to try that crap. At least weed doesn't kill you!

Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Insert clever title here

Quote:
Quoth blas87
My parents told me that if I found a nickel from.......is it 1965 or older, to keep it, because it's real silver?
About half of 1942 nickels and all 1943-45 nickels were made from 35% silver, due to the war. The silver nickels have the mintmark over the Monticello dome on the reverse.

I know a numismatist.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Cashier

We can't get rid of pennies, they will raise the gas prices in 5 cent increments then!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Plum loco

They keep the .9 on the price of gas anyway, and we've never had a coin that small...

Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Customer

Kiwi's ahead of her time. We get rid of 5c pieces on July 31. It's currently the smallest denomination, but we still get $4.99 type prices. They work out fine for electronic/cheque transactions, or when you buy a lot of items (like weekly groceries) and then they only round up or down the final total.

Reminds me of an old puzzle. Try it on your friends, you'll be amazed how often people can't get it (better verbal than written)...

Johnny's mum has three coins - a penny, a nickel, and a dime. She also has three children - Penny, Nick, and....?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
T. pallidum - the wee rascal !

Quote:
Quoth One-Fang
Johnny's mum has three coins - a penny, a nickel, and a dime. She also has three children - Penny, Nick, and....?
Di? Diane? Dinah?

Oh, wait....

Johnny !