This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well dammit,another gig lost...

Got a call last night from the only place we currently have gigs at,she told me they had to cancel us,when I asked why she told me the place was closing

One of the very few places in town that hires original music.Most bars here hire bands that have interchangeable songlists & with this economy they're certainly not going to take any chances on bands that don't do "Keep Your Hands to Yourself","Mustang Sally" or generic blues tunes. There's a couple of places that hire the college-age bands that do original screamo/deathcore/grind/whatever adjective but that's not our schtick,we don't know anything about that kind of music,we're more mainstream rock.Those places don't pay anyways,the bands have a friend at the door to collect cover charge for the one set they do along with 3-4 other bands so they don't make much (great deal for the clubowners,they don't have to pay but make money selling drinks).

Good thing we have day jobs (well,I'm in real estate,good thing I have a wife that makes oodles of money) so we won't starve but we've discussed having to travel & it looks like we may have to.Paul & Brian have never been on the road so they think it'll be fine,but I've spent years in shitty hotels & weird bars & keep telling them it ain't the glamorous adventure they think it is.

Oh well,we're not quitters & we believe in what we're doing,so we'll just keep knockin' on doors & buggin' people.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Hang in there. When the economy turns around things will likely get better, and it's not like you're depending on this for your living.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

<topic diversion>

I used to think "Mustang Sally" was about the first female astronaut. We had a rather bad radio, and the only words I ever heard clearly were "Ride, Sally Ride".

</t d>

Good luck, Freddy. I'm sure something will come up for you and the others.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        <topic diversion>

I used to think "Mustang Sally" was about the first female astronaut. We had a rather bad radio, and the only words I ever heard clearly were "Ride, Sally Ride".

</t d>

Good luck, Freddy. I'm sure something will come up for you and the others.

Got an update on what happened to the bar.As an aside,when Mrs F & I went there to celebrate my brother's b'day last week turned out they were out of both Jack Daniels & Captain Morgan. Now what kind of bar runs out of the 2 most popular liquors in the country? One where the owners son,who's running the place,has put all the profits up his nose & hasn't paid the rent or the vendors for months.
        So Dad decides to sell his liquor license (which can go for upwards of $750,000 in this state) to a major restaurant chain.

Also turns out this guy's had a problem for a long time.Our guitar player had a run-in with the guy 10-12 years ago when the guy was in a coke/crank induced rage & GP was never sure why the guy was so upset.
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X