This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cried....

This thread is long and emotional, please veer away if thats not your forte', I just need to get this out of me.

So, Im a registered nurse, as some know. Ive been a nurse 3 years, before that I was a Surgical Tech, assisting with surgeries. Ive dealt with a multitude of crazy situations and seen a lot of things.

In my 10 years at the hospital ive:

*held a beating human heart while sticking my finger in the back like the boy with his finger in the dike.
    *Allowed people to die with dignity
    *Had people die with not so much dignity
    *held amputated body parts
    *made patients laugh and cry
    *assisted with removing hearts and lungs and kidneys for organ donors
    *Held bits of brain in my hands
    *placed eyeballs tenderly back in their sockets.

Suffice it to say, Ive done alot, and I love my job i wouldn't change it for the world.

I didnt like however, my very first assignment when I got to work yesterday: tagging and bagging the body of a 4 year old who had died an hour prior. I entered the room to get the body ready for the morgue. I couldn't even open the door, my CoWorker A did that for me. I told her I was uncomfortable...but why? I've never stayed away from a patients room for any reason. Id crawl into a shit covered room to get my job done, ive wrestled with drunks and successfully avoided things being thrown at my head, its all in a days work. But I cant even walk into this room?

I saw her little body on the bed, covered by a sheet but so small. Too small. Her little foot was hanging out...it was white. I almost left the room, I had a mini panic attack but I kept it inside, stifled b/c this is my job, this is what Im expected to do.

A was fantastic. She saw how I was and kept the girls face covered while we went about the business of tagging her and collecting her belonging. I removed a bow from her hair that was sticking up above the blanket...a pink one. She had beautiful hair. Brown ringlets. I touched them....they were soft.

I picked her up and put her in the morgue bag, her body was so light. The bag was so big. As I pulled the zipper up, A removed the last sheet from her face and then, the zipper was up. I only saw the side of her little face right as I zipped past it, I am very grateful that I did not see the rest.

I never did well with sick kids. Before yesterday, Ive never actually had to handle the body of a dead child. I waited til I got home, a full 13 hours later to cry. Im crying as I type this. With her face covered, she could have been anyone's child. She could have been mine. Life is unfair. And sometimes, I just dont want to deal with it.
Working...
X