Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about a downloadable tablet game...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about a downloadable tablet game...

Ok, we're finally caving and getting ourselves a tablet.

We're looking at an 8" Android one.

But that's not my question.

I'm wondering about the game Fruit Ninja. My son LOVES this game, but unfortunately, it's no longer available through "regular" means (i.e. can't play it on FaceBook).

We're considering buying the game for the tablet (no ads in the purchased version). But my question is: Can we play this game and record the scores without being online?

We have a wired network, and my router does support wireless, I think, but I don't know if it supports wireless and wired at the same time.

We're going to limit his time to 1/2 hour per week, so he doesn't play it all the time.

Anybody know?
    Last edited by mjr; 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

It's probably playable offline, but any internet-enabled features won't work, possibly including score-saving.

A quick test would be to grab the free version, turn off wifi, and try to play.

I've never seen a router not support wireless and ethernet at the same time. Well, except for Actiontec routers that had gotten hit by a power surge that killed the ethernet ports (seriously, this was a thing back when I was working FIOS tech support)...but that's not exactly the same thing. O.o

BTW, with Android tablets... you get what you pay for. Beware the sub-$100 tablets.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I wonder if you're looking at the same one I bought, the Nextbook 8HD.

It's a good tablet, but it has some quirks. Back plastic is flimsy and some of the tablet components are sandwiched between this plastic and the screen. What that means is if you look at the screen while holding it, you might see a black spot on the screen where you're holding the tablet.

It does get hot on the back near the HDMI port if you're playing games - that's where the processor/GPU is located. The screen's viewing angles are limited also.

If you can get a good case for it, and can live with a few issues, it's still the best tablet around $100. Only problem is that for an extra $30-40, you can get an Asus, Samsung, or Google 7".

Comment

The tablet we're considering is the Dell Venue 8.

It's an 8" tablet with Android.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I know this isn't your question, but I'd seriously suggest you look at maybe getting an iPad. I've had an android tablet, and the iPad OS is (in my opinion) better than android. It's easier to use, and my first gen iPad, which cost about the same as the tablet, is MUCH faster (at least compared to my android tablet), the case is sturdier, and it doesn't get hot when being used. You can find used first and second gen iPads for about the same price (or less) as the one you're looking at. And the game you want is available for the iPad.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Hey mjr, you might look at getting a wireless router that can be networked off the current router. You can get a decent one fairly cheap, and they're not all that hard to work with, with a little help from Google searches once in a while. Just look over the reviews when shopping, and you should be in good shape
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Muchly belated response, but I have Fruit Ninja on my phone (and I believe I had it on my tablet before I lost it) and it never had an issue playing whether I was connected to wi-fi or not. You should be able to play it offline.
              "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Working...
              X