This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• %&(#)^^$Q#Q Gateway POS

I've mentioned that Gateway that's been holding down the floor for almost two years. We were gifted with a Gateway desktop two years ago, brand new, but having had bad experiences with a previous Gateway, I left it in the box and kept my old Dell running. Well, the Dell got eaten by Windows SP3. The hard drive just is not working and the boot disk didn't help.

So, we broke out the Gateway and set it up. It seemed to be okay. I ran a bunch of Windows XP updates (not SP3), loaded Kaspersky, downloaded a couple of programs and everything seemed find.

Then my husband touched it. He decided to load Sim City 4 while I was at work. Now all the Gateway does when you turn it on is beep, a long beep at regular intervals. My husband said that they (he and my older son) had made some adjustment with the monitor while loading the program or right afterward. The monitor does not start up from standby. I just received a boot disk today (cheap Gateway mofos), which will probably cost me a frikkin fortune for shipping, and it did not do anything.

At this point, the only thing I can think to do is pull the hard drive (of course, the case is practically welded shut, not the easy open kind) and format it.

If anyone has ever heard of this problem, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

What is the beep sequence?

really.

beep beep beep beeeeeep .......................?

Beep sequence can tell you what's wrong with a computer before it posts - this is part of the POST (power on self test).

Post your beep sequence here and let us know the estimated PHYSICAL age of the machine - got a mfg sticker on the back?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Cutenoob is right. The computer does a series of tests during the power on sequence that it has to complete before doing anything.

Judging by what you've said (noting that the monitor stays in standby) I'd bet that the monitor connection got kicked loose. And yes, that is one of the tests that gets done: is there a monitor attached?

From what all else you've said, I'd bet the SimCity 4 was just a coincidence.

One way to tell for sure, though, is to find the manual for the gateway. And I don't mean the user's guide, but the actual manual, in particular for the motherboard. It will list the POST codes, which are the beeps you're hearing, and what the cause is, and suggest fixes.

Comment

Pedersen, of COURSE I'm right :P I wouldn't post something unless it's correct :P :P

A lot of older machines will not start without a keyboard. Double check that a mouse and keyboard and the monitor are firmly attached. Start it up. Listen to the parts running......what's sounding?

If that doesn't work, come back and we can post more help.

Cutenoob

Comment

It's a long beep, about 1 1/2 seconds, evenly spaced by about 10 to 15 seconds.

I was kind of wondering if there was something to do with the monitor, but the monitor was attached.

I wonder where I can find a manual.
          Document everything

Comment

Searching online with the keywords of Beep codes motherboard computer ....

Some posts say RAM, some say Video. Can't truly find out until we know the age of motherboard and the BIOS manufacturer inside. (to find out bios, manual would have it, or old posts online would, pertaining to age).

So, with troubleshooting wand in hand, go get paper & pencil and Phillips.

Systematically, you'll be needing to disconnect STUFF from the motherboard, and reconnect.

Disconnect power plug from back of computer.
            Open case.

I would sketch out a pencil sketch of your chassis, and then disconnect power (redblackyellowwhite) from CD rom, Floppy.
            Leave the Hard drive (only one) plugged in with power.

should be PowerUnit----------------motherboard. PowerUnit----------------Harddrive.

Plug power to back of case. NO HANDS IN CASE DURING THIS TIME. Mon/Keyboard/Mouse connected? Yes?

Press power button.

Do you get anything?

No beeps? Then you have narrowed it (culprit) to one of the unplugged things.

Turn off machine.
            Unplug from back again.
            Plug ONE of the unplugged in (look at your notes!!)
            Hands out of case
            Plug power to back again
            Reboot

Beeps?

Do it like this to find the culprit.

Cutenoob

Comment

Thanks, Cutenoob. That will be how I spend my long Thanksgiving weekend.
              Document everything

Comment

If I may hazard a guess...

The video card may have lost it's fan. Some cards (wish it was more of them) use much less power (and generate much less heat) when running in 2D mode, which is what's used at the desktop and during boot.

When running SimCity, the 3D bit gets turned on - and an unassisted heatsink would then be unable to cope. So the chip gets fried, and now desn't work at all.

If that's the case, then hopefully it's a discrete card and can be replaced.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  If I may hazard a guess...

The video card may have lost it's fan. Some cards (wish it was more of them) use much less power (and generate much less heat) when running in 2D mode, which is what's used at the desktop and during boot.

When running SimCity, the 3D bit gets turned on - and an unassisted heatsink would then be unable to cope. So the chip gets fried, and now desn't work at all.

If that's the case, then hopefully it's a discrete card and can be replaced.
                  Well, if it isn't, and you have an available AGP slot, just get a cheap AGP card from a local technology liquidator. If not, try to find a cheap PCI (NOT PCI-E, PCI) card at the same store.

Thats what I've done a few times.
                  Otaku

Comment

Working...
                  X