Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's quite the flounce there, buddy ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's quite the flounce there, buddy ...

I had a charmer in my line the other day. Don't remember what he was buying but it was a few small items. I totalled it up and then noticed he was holding his cellphone over the machine ...

Me: "I'm sorry, sir, we don't have tap."

Cue the eye-rolling, the HUGE huffing sigh, and then the wordless stomp out of the store.

All he needed at that point was the Scarlett O'Hara dress.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Gotta love it when a grown-ass man acts like a spoiled princess.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm more worried about the future where tap is the only option.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I had a charmer in my line the other day. Don't remember what he was buying but it was a few small items. I totalled it up and then noticed he was holding his cellphone over the machine ...

Me: "I'm sorry, sir, we don't have tap."

Cue the eye-rolling, the HUGE huffing sigh, and then the wordless stomp out of the store.

All he needed at that point was the Scarlett O'Hara dress.
        ... and once again, I die a little more. Are people REALLY this helpless ... er, 'professionally inconvenienced'?

Somebody please shoot me if I ever become this damned dependent on geegaws and gadgets. Seriously, EMPTY THE GODDAMN CLIP.

Comment

It's a nice option to have, I guess, but then if you come across a place that doesn't have it, you can't buy stuff? And every store changes its machines at their own pace - mostly with the breathless speed of snails XD

So I'd hang onto the debit or credit cards and the cash, for now...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't like tap. Not a safe option to me. but that's just my opinion.

Then again, I still buy most things with cash because I can control how much I spend much better. Tap is one more way for me to overspend without thinking about it.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              Then again, I still buy most things with cash because I can control how much I spend much better. Tap is one more way for me to overspend without thinking about it.
              That's why being broke is referred to as being "tapped out".
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My bank tried automatically "upgrading" all my cards, and the day they arrived I phoned them up asking 1) why I'd been sent cards I hadn't requested, and 2) can I please have no-tap cards because I then worked in an environment that made it trivial to receive a "false tap" - London's public transport all allow for tap debit to be used to make journeys, and I was walking past those gates multiple times a shift...

I do have one tap card but it's credit so never worked on the gates, and it's not attached to my phone because doing so would also make it a stupidly simple mistake to buy things via apps & websites, which I definitely do not want.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Tap cards (or normal cards) aren't a problem for me as I keep a running total on my phone in the notes section. I update it as I go along, so I always know how much I have in my bank account (both actual and after direct debits are taken into account) and how much I have spent on my credit card.

The credit card accumulates points which can be exchanged for vouchers at shops that I head to a lot, and it is always paid off in full so I never pay interest.

On the rare occasions I have to spend more than I can pay in one month on my credit card (e.g. car repair) I have a second credit card that has 0% on balance transfers for a minimum of 9 months, so I have plenty of time to pay it off and only pay a one-off interest charge on the initial transfer amount.

It does require discipline to be sure the totals are kept up to date, but it means I know at any given time what funds I have immediately available.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I work in a bank and we are upgrading all cards to tap cards, and it's done whether people like it or not. Just have to deal....and protect yourself with a wallet that blocks signals I guess.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X