This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *cry* finally got a new computer....

but omg is it SLOW. It's got 128mb of RAM in it, and a 500MHz processor *CRY* I can't do SQUAT with this thing. It literally takes 20 minutes to boot up, and then crashes if I try to run more than 2 programs at once (I'm the queen of multitasking, this is KILLING me). I'm not getting any work done, and the damn thing doesn't even have a SOUND CARD *sob*

when oh when will I get a decent job where I can afford to buy a new one?
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Ummm...

That's not a new computer...

Go to Tigerdirect.com. You can get yourself somewhat of a computer for like $300 right now, but you will need to keep your monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But it will have much better specs than that thing.

Until you get a better machine... to munch on while you wait for the thing to run.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

What's the OS? XP needs at least 256MB to run at all acceptably on its own, 512MB if you want to use anything like MS Office.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Trust the techies to miss the point entirely.

(Just kidding, guys. Obviously this is the tech forum)

The major point is this: tollbaby is back! Hooray!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

awww thanks Boozy. It's running Win2000 (and every so slowly). Unfortunately, I can't afford a machine right now, that's why I'm stuck with the freebie that was generously donated to me by a friend who works in a uni tech department (he got it for $10 at their end-of-year purging and shipped it to me). Besides which, $300 US would be about $400 or more with shipping to Canada, and then I'd have to pay the sales tax once it got past the border on top of that (they do it separately for computers).

I'm trying to save a bit of money so I can buy some more RAM, but I don't even know what type I need, or if stores still carry it (I've been told I might not be able to find more). *grumble* I hate being poor. On the plus side, I *can* cannibalize the sound card out of my old machine, since it still works.
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Newegg.com

It's the universal Geek answer to "Where?"

As for "What?", if you look the MoBo of the machine up online it should tell you exactly what it needs.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Tollbaby...

try tigerdirect.ca not .com
              "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Depending on where you are and if you want to pay for postage only; I probably have a couple pc100/133 256 or maybe 512 sticks lying around that aren't ever going to see the light of day.

Comment

Working...
                X