X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1TB - 2TB drives

Are they still running rather hot?

I've been thinking of getting a WD drive of this size (unless someone can suggest something better - I don't like Maxtors, though). if they still run very hot then I won't get one.

My 500Gb WD is getting full now <10% free.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I don't think my Seagate 1TB external drive runs all that hot, but I can't tell you anything about internal drives, as I don't own any that size.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I think my 500GB external WD is on its way out.

NewEgg has a Samsung 1TB internal SATA for $95, it's a lot of money but I think I'm going to need it soon.

Right now, trying to back up my 500GB to see if it can be saved.

Every now and then (although now it's not uncommon) the PC looses communication with it - I can still browse but the computer can't find any program I try to access. I have to unplug then plug in the drive to get connectivity back.
      Last edited by draggar; 01-11-2009, 05:10 PM.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Dragger, one of my friends put together a computer that has a internal and external cooling system. It heats part of his apartment that thing puts out so much heat. But then he has ubber cooling on it too so I dunno. I know however that I am going to wait for awhile.
        Last edited by Aethian; 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM. Reason: Fixed a funny typo.

Comment

And further proof that I really don't need much of a comp, I'm only using 15.4G with all my music and Civ 2 and 3 on the comp.

And mom was asking me durring the pre-Xmas sales if i could use / needed a 250GB external drive. (She saw comp parts and asked)
          Last edited by ParkingWitch; 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM. Reason: add an s
          Meeeeoooow.....
          Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

$95 for 1 TB is not a lot. It looks like I'm going to have to pay about $150+tax for a 1.5 TB drive, internal. $95 for an external's not bad at all. As for how hot the externals run, it probably depends on the enclosure to a greater degree than usual. Look for aluminum cases. They tend to dissipate heat the best, though if you'll be moving it around a lot, the drive won't be quite as protected.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

ive seen some news recently about some of the seagate/maxtor 1Tb drives, here if your set on a seagate make sure its one that isnt affected by this. otherwise ive had good luck with my wd 1t. seems to run cool compared to my 2 maxtor ide drives
              This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
              my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

You can also pickup an enclosure and add your own drive to it that way. They have a number of enclosures that have cooling systems, fans, and the like allready installed.

I know that I run several different external drives including a WD (about 6 years old at work that is always on), a WD Mybook (500mb) at home that I love, and then two that I have built, 1 uses a Mad Dog Enclosure (alluminum with no problems) and the other is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) not sure the brand, but it holds 1 drive, and has 2 usb ports so I can plug 2 more drives into it and then mount it on the network.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I ended up getting a WD "green" 1TB drive (I know, it's slow but it's for data mainly). It was about $120 at Best Buy.

Now, I wonder if I can revive my external 500GB? It seems to get "disconnected' from the PC quite often - I need to unplug it, wait for the PC to see that it's been removed, then plug it back in. I can barely get any data off it now since that's been happening.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I could open this up and see if i could throw in my own drive?

Edit: I now know what is wrong with the drive. I opened it up about 20 minutes ago and it is still extremely hot. I wonder if after I let it cool down I can use it w/o the casing?

Edit 2: This is a perfect candidate to be thrown in the freezer!
                  Last edited by draggar; 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Hard drives don't like running hot one bit. I wouldn't freeze it, just let it cool by itself, then run it with the cover of the enclosure off.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Hard drives don't like running hot one bit. I wouldn't freeze it, just let it cool by itself, then run it with the cover of the enclosure off.
                      Haven't been a tech that long?

Throwing a HDD in the freezer for about an hour or two is a great way to get data back from a drive that is shot. It's one of those "one-shot attempt" deals.

Yes, eventually this drive will die. I did let it cool last night (not in the freezer) and was able to get the rest of my data off (the least important part of the data). It's still connected and accessible now, though (I left the case off of it last night). It is extremely hot now - too hot to touch so I'm thinking the drive is toast. Maybe if I get another $130 I'll get another 1TB drive and throw it in this case.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

If it's running that hot with the case off, then you probably have a shot spindle bearing - probably running without lubricant. Whether that's a side-effect of getting hot in the first place or not, I have no idea.

Comment

Eh, I'm going to keep the case - when I have the money I might get another WD SATA drive to throw in the case. I may use the drive as a temp / completely unimportant storage until then.
                          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                            Dragger, one of my friends put together a computer that has a internal and external cooling system. It heats part of his apartment that thing puts out so much heat. But then he has ubber cooling on it too so I dunno. I know however that I am going to wait for awhile.
                            Funny story... a place I worked once had an area that 3 people worked that could get cold in the winter. They replaced their computers with new ones... that apparently gave off less heat. As a result, the workers demanded a space heater for that area, sucking down... I calculate more Watts of electricity than what the computers were running at MAX.

They probably *could* have called the company to get a new computer that was less um... insultated? to be able to bring the heat up again. At the very least they might have been able to run something like BOINC which would send the CPU to 100% (and donate number crunching to various science projects) which MIGHT have also made more heat. But nobody would listen to my suggestions or give me permission to install anything. Instead the increase of efficiency in the computer's cooling for these models wasn't what was needed for the actual area/setup.
                            Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Better would have been to put *more* insulation on the office building.

Comment

Working...
                              X