This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Checker Getting Laid Off

Yesterday, the closing checker told me that he found out that he was getting laid off. His last day is next Saturday.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

I'm so sorry.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

And I thought grocery people had job security.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Unfortunately, he's not the only one. Another evening checker also found out that she was getting laid off.
        My Fanfic Page
        My Fiction Page
        My Social Group
        My Pet Social Group
        My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          And I thought grocery people had job security.
          Two particular grocery companies in the Northeast are suffering really badly: Wile E. Coyote's favorite store; and a company that is neither great nor Pacific. This is what happens when decades of bad corporate decisions catch up to you - the poor huddled masses suffer for it.

Comment

kinda sped read the title (omited the "off") and expected a more happy ending.. sorry to hear about the layoff.
            “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
            ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
              kinda sped read the title (omited the "off") and expected a more happy ending.. sorry to hear about the layoff.
              I did that, too, but didn't want to admit it.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
                Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I did that, too, but didn't want to admit it.
                Hey! Outta my gutter you two! Unless you brought pizza.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm wondering if this couldn't also be tied to the remodel. It would be pretty difficult to relocate an entire store's worth of employees while the remodel is going on. I could see them relocating maybe the few most senior cashiers and maybe cashiers who are also trained for service desk or scanning, but front end tends to be one of the largest departments in a grocery store if not the largest, and it would be damn near impossible to put everybody into a store within a reasonable distance. Even if they send people to four different stores, doing so would water down everybody's hours, both the hours of those being transferred and the hours of the people at the stores they're being sent to, so much that in the long run its a better deal for everyone for some people to just take unemployment and call it a day.

Think of it this way: if a cashier is regularly getting 36 hours and they get laid off, they go on unemployment and get back the equivalent pay of if they worked 24 hours. Not so good, but not horrible either. But if they overstaff another store trying to find a place for all of these cashiers, they'll have to cut hours all around to stay in budget. So now the employee that was working 36 hours a week is now working, but only working 14 hours a week, and have the added stress of a longer commute to work and having to hear the original employees at the new store bitch about their hours being cut too.

In situations like this, layoff and filing for unemployment sometimes is the better deal.
                  "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                  "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                  My MySpace
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

The closing checker has now gotten unlaid off. He'll be moved to same store as me during the remodeling.
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                    X