This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day

I got a D-Day the other day cause I've been late to work more often than I should. I don't have a car & take a taxi or the bus to work & both can be affected by weather, delays, traffic or what have you. Stuff that's beyond my control but management doesn't give a shit. You would think that me making an effort to be there, even IF I'm late, would count for something, right? Again, they don't give a hoot.

So today I had my yearly eval. One of the things that got mentioned was that several people felt uncomfortable with me telling them that I got a D-Day. I was told, next time to take it up with managemnt about my D-Day & basically to keep my mouth shut.
    Why not talk about it to whoever? It's not like it's some deep dark secret. I could understand IF I was talking about someone else getting a D-Day & I spread it around the workplace BUT it's about ME!! I don't care who knows about it.

I'm about ready to look for another job. This place is nuts!

Hate to tell you, but tardiness can be one of the worst sins by most of the managers out there wherever you go. Sometimes you get lucky, find a boss that doesn't care. My husband is habitually tardy, but he starts shortly before dinner rush, when they overlap shifts, and does manage to get there before it gets busy, so his manager is cool with him being late. First job he's had since he worked a rather loosely-run fast food place in high school fifteen years ago that didn't care. For many workplaces, you would be more likely to get written up for tardiness than if you showed up for work on time and did nothing all day.

If you're having so much trouble with the buses being late, is there any way you could take the route before the one you needed to get there on time? Could bring a book or something to do to pass the time before your shift actually started.

Good luck with your managers.

Comment

I always took public transport to work. and arrived at least 30 minutes early (still do). Only time I regretted it was the day they fired us as we arrived.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
        If you're having so much trouble with the buses being late, is there any way you could take the route before the one you needed to get there on time? Could bring a book or something to do to pass the time before your shift actually started.
        This.

I have a co-worker who has a car but it's a shared car, so she either has the car for her shift, has to be dropped off/picked up, or gets someone to bring her/take her home. The thing is, she always gets to work on time.

If you are really having trouble getting to work on time, it would be best to get an earlier route to work.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I think you've posted about this before. Were you the one who had to take the first bus of the morning or was that someone else? I could be confused. Around here, we don't have buses, but we have a service called TRIPS that is like a taxi service, but is MUCH, MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi and it does run at weird hours because you can take it to the bigger cities around for doctors appointments and such.

Comment

And if there is no earlier bus, then what?
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

what's a d-day?

Comment

A form of punishment at the Little shop of horrors. It is used in which you are 1) expected to write an essay on why you should keep your job, and 2) a step where the mismanagers decide if they want to fire you.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I always made it a point to catch at least one bus ahead. Thankfully, I live within walking distance of my job these days. That said, I also make it a point to be there at least half an hour before my shift starts. If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late.
                  Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                    And if there is no earlier bus, then what?
                    I ditto everything patiokitty said and more.

One of my biggest pet peeves about work is lateness. If I am supposed to get off at 5 and someone is supposed to take over for me then, I fully expect them to be there at 4:55 to relieve me. If my relief is fifteen minutes late due to their transportation issues, that also makes me late getting off when I'm scheduled to. And if I have to be off on time due to things that I need to do after work, that puts me in a bind if my relief is late because they couldn't get there due to their transportation issues.

I fully understand that some people need to use public transportation for various reasons, many of which can and have gotten to work on time. However if a person can not find a decent method of public transportation to get to work on time, then they need to find an alternative solution to get there.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I have sympathy for the OP, but that's because I've known her on this site for a while and know what she has to go through every day at work.

But in general, being late is not good. My relief is late every morning. I watch all my coworkers get to flounce off to the timeclocks to punch out, and I am still standing there waiting for my relief and we aren't allowed OT right now, if your punch time is more than a couple of minutes after your shift ends, you're in trouble. But at the same time, if I just up and leave, I'll get a nastygram about the importance of letting my relief know what I did before the end of the shift.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

As is well known by now I take a bus and a train to work every day. And I'm always 20 minutes early. The people who drive are consistently late by 5 or 10 minutes or more. Every day. It pisses me off to no end. They whine about traffic and this and that and I just wanna smack them. If traffic is bad at that time then LEAVE EARLIER!

One guy is always late cause he can't seem to learn to go to bed like a normal person with an alarm. He's always falling asleep in his kids' room without his phone/alarm....if he acted like a responsible adult and went to bed with the phone he wouldn't have this problem.

I really have no patience for constant tardiness....once in a while yeah shit happens. But all the time? No....if *I* can make it early or on time so can my co workers. Including the ones that have so called "reliable" transportation.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I worked hotel front desk. Usually we were alone on a shift. You being late for your shift meant that I was late getting off my shift, which is incredibly aggravating if I was on morning because that meant I was up at 5:30 am to start work at 7 am.

Nothing ticked me off more than my relief being late.

I still have to be exactly on time every day at this job (its idiotic. You can't even clock in a minute early, because you leave right on time, you're a minute overtime, and my manager is being a total... ok I better stop there. I have a bunch of threads on these idiots on this board).

Truthfully, you should see if you can change your schedule, get an earlier bus, or get a new job.

Comment

I work as a Security Guard, and am the only person on shift. So if my relief is late then I'm late getting off work. Nothing drives me crazier than when my relief shows up late. Every once in awhile I can understand but the guy who relieves me on Saturday mornings is habitually late.

Luckily for me, I can sign out late and get paid OT for it. My co-worker is pissed at me because I did exactly that last week and he got written up over it and is losing money out of his check. I really don't care though, he was 10 minutes late, and he has a car. But he always has an excuse such as he's having car problems (he's had them for the last 2 years), or he uses traffic as an excuse. Our company policy is that if you're late for work 4 times in a 90 day period then it's an automatic termination of employment.

I used to take the bus to work and never had a problem getting there on time. One of my co-workers takes a bus all the time and is never late either. I've also taken a taxi and had mostly good luck with them. There were a few times when I called to arrange a taxi well in advance and still been late to work, but luckily those times were few and far between.

Comment

In addition to being habitually late, yes, it's perfectly normal for people to feel uncomfortable with you talking about having been disciplined. It's unprofessional, and it should be kept to yourself. Basically, by telling everybody about it, you're asking them to pick sides, and most people are very uncomfortable doing that. Whether they feel you DESERVED the D-Day or not (and I'm sorry, but in my opinion, you did... not your boss's fault you can't get in on time), you're putting them in a very awkward position and it's just not cool.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X