This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst day of my life.

NOTE: This is my 3rd time posting this. The first time was before the forums were reset, the second time was before the server went down. I hope this is the LAST time I have to post this. This happened on the 30th of June, a week ago.

Sorry for the strong language, but it’s the only thing I can type to portray my anger.

Jesus humping Christ with a rocket launcher.

Today has been the Worst. Day. Ever.

It involves SCs and NOT SCs, but started out with them.

As you all know, I work for a national furniture company and we are pretty strict in our rules and procedures. I dealt with 5 instances today with sucky customers, and didn’t have time to post earlier.

First Incident: A customer called this morning to say that she wouldn’t be there for all of her time frame and it was such an inconvenience to wait for four hours. I kindly explained that the order form states it is an all day delivery, several times, and that we narrow it down to a 4 hour window out of courtesy. She said “Well, make sure they get it here by noon!” Her time window was from 9-1, and I told her that if she isn’t there, we’ll take the furniture back, and charge her for a full redelivery fee. She was NOT happy.

Addendum: She ended up getting the furniture, and the chair was broken. Hooray.

Second incident: A customer of mine called and was pissed that the furniture didn’t fit through the front door. This customer was an asshole from the get go. The type of person who drives a jaguar, wears a two thousand dollar suit, and buys the cheapest promo and still wants you to haggle on the price. He refused to sign a damage waiver because the furniture wouldn’t fit, and he called the drivers “wetback sons of bitches” and demanded a refund or two different people to come out and deliver because they were so rude.

Third incident: Another piece of furniture was delivered and was broken when they got it out of the box. No problem, we can order her another one.

Fourth incident: A customer arbitrarily decided that she was going to go to a holiday barbeque and leaving at 4pm, when her window was 2 to 6.

Convo went like this:

SC: It’s such a hassle, and very unprofessional to make me wait for 4 hours. It’s a Friday, people have things to do! Can’t you narrow it down?
    Me: Well ma’am, the order states that it’s an all day delivery, and we don’t know for sure when they are going to be there. They let us know the day before what the approximate time is that they’ll be in the area, and we pass that information on as a courtesy.
    SC: You mean it could be all day?
    Me: Well yes, as it’s clearly stated on the order form and on the predelivery guide several times.
    SC: That is such bullshit. I’ve waited 18 weeks for this furniture!
    Me: (The longest quote we give is 16 weeks and I have NEVER seen furniture take this long. I looked it up and she ordered it the second week of April, and this puts it at 11 weeks, WELL ahead of the time we quoted her. I could have, but didn’t call her on it this time.) Well, ma’am, I do apologize if it took that long because of circumstances beyond our direct control. But in all honesty, if you’ve been waiting for the furniture that long, why wouldn’t you do everything in your power to actually be there during the four hour window on the day that you picked yourself for us to deliver it?
    SC: This is ridiculous! I paid over three grand for all this, and you aren’t being helpful!
    Me: Ma’am I understand and sympathize. But there is nothing we can do. You picked the date, and you didn’t reschedule when we told you the time window yesterday night. If you decide that you want to leave your house to go to a barbecue, there’s really nothing we can do for you above what we’ve already done.
    SC: I should just cancel the order right now. I’m never dealing with you people again.
    Me: I would really advise against canceling, honestly ma’am.
    SC: Why?
    Me: If you cancel for no reason, and our managers and corporate will not see this as a valid reason, we keep the $170 delivery charge, and we also keep 30% of that 3 grand to cover the costs of the merchandise being made. We will refund you every thing else.
    SC: We’ll just see about that!
    Me: You still have your copy of the purchase order which clearly explains all of this, and you signed it. I do sympathize for this, but your best option is to make sure you’re there to accept delivery.
    -click-

This is a common occurance. People bitch all the time and then I REALLY love our policy when it comes to cancellations. You pay for any delivery costs (we subcontract other delivery companies and we have already paid them at that point), and we keep anywhere from 10% to 30% of the merchandise costs to cover our butts, and we STILL take a loss. A lesson that would cost this particular lady close to $1,100 dollars.

So she then calls back, and has ANOTHER huge issue.

SC: Where’s the ottoman?
    Me: We forgot to send the ottoman? (this also happens once in a while, although very rarely.)
    SC: I ordered the set as shown! This is the most goddamned ridiculous thing that I have EVER had to deal with, and I want you to fix it?
    Me: Give me a second to look it up…(I looked up the order in the computer, and it said for a sofa, a loveseat, and a chair. No ottoman.) I’m showing in the computer that there was no ottoman on the order.
    SC: You’re fucking kidding me! I told him I wanted the ottoman!
    Me: Well, I’m looking at the paper order right here and it shows it’s written up as a sofa, loveseat, and chair, and no ottoman.
    SC: The ottoman doesn’t come with the chair?
    Me: No, the ottoman is a separate piece that costs $400.
    SC: That’s a lie! I ordered the ottoman!
    Me: Ma’am, you said you have your copy right there. It shows a sofa, loveseat, and chair together, and does not mention the ottoman. The ottoman has not and never will be included with a chair, we’ve never had that promotion before.
    SC: Well he should have SAID it doesn’t come with the set instead of lying to me! I wanted the whole set!
    Me: Ma’am, he had no reason to lie to you. He would have gladly sold you the ottoman if he knew you wanted it because it’s extra money for the company and puts more money in his wallet. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding but I am showing on the paper order and in the computer that there was no ottoman on this order and there never was.
    SC: Are you calling me a liar?
    Me: No, I’m just presenting the facts as I see them.
    SC: I waited 18 weeks for this furniture, and the way I have been treated has been horrible customer service!
    Me: I’m showing here it was ordered the second week of april.
    SC: That’s a lie. I’ve waited eighteen weeks!
    Me: I even have the credit card slip right here with your signature dated April 8th. So it’s really been 11 weeks, and that’s actually 5 weeks AHEAD of what we quoted you. I don’t know how you came up with 18 weeks, but the furniture was paid for and ordered on April 8th.
    SC: I want to speak with someone higher up. You are a horrible sales representative and I will have your job over the way you are treating me on the phone.
    Me: He will be in here tomorrow. But I’m just doing my job, ma’am. The misunderstanding you’ll have to take up with him, but while researching this order it’s a fact that it’s been less than 12 weeks, and not the 18 you claim. We quoted you 12 to 16 weeks and we actually beat our quo-
    -click-

Incident Five: This one wasn’t so much the customer as it was the shitty delivery drivers. The drivers call me at 4pm to let me know they’re at a customers house and they aren’t there. The window is from 4 to 8 for that particular household. I ask them to wait 10 minutes and if nobody is there, leave a note on the door.

I look for this lady in the computer and sure enough, we only have one phone number for her and it shoots straight to a voicemail service. Okay then…ten minutes go buy and the driver calls me to let me know he’s leaving. The instant I hang up the phone, it rings, and it’s the lady. “They’re leaving my driveway! Tell them to stop!”

Turns out, she WAS home, but didn’t have her cellphone on! The ONLY number she gave us to reach her at. She says she didn’t hear the drivers knocking, but heard them when the truck started up. I’m frantically trying to see what I can do, as I do not have the number to get ahold of the driver.

So, the customer gets it from her stored number list and gives it to me and I try to call them. I get ahold of the guy, and he gets pissed at me because I ask him to drive back. He says he banged on the door very loudly, and when I asked “Did you leave a note?” “I don’t need to leave a note!” But you SAID you would, and how the fuck are we supposed to verify that you were there!? The customer could claim you never showed up and the note is proof that you did!

This is the bad thing about subcontracting to keep costs down. All of our drivers speak very little English, and they don’t give a rats ass about anything because if a customer has a problem, it goes to US, not the drivers, and there is nothing we can do.

So I finally calm all the customers down enough to get through the day. I end up cleaning in the back. I go to step over a sofa to get to the outlet for the vacuum and I roll my left ankle, HARD. I’m on the ground for about 10 minutes screaming in pain, and it takes me a very long time to get to the front of the store and call my family to let them know what happened.

Long story short, I lock up, and drive to the emergency room at 115 MPH, my teeth gritting the entire way. I get there, my grandfather meets me there.

I have a severe sprain in the left foot. I damaged it about as much as I could without breaking something, lucky me. I’ll be home for a while because I cannot put ANY weight on my foot until it stops hurting, and I’ll be on crutches for a few weeks and will probably limp for months.

All because of a shitty customer that got me so wound up I wasn’t paying attention.
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

UPDATE: Since I posted this, things have been hell. I can’t seem to get a straight answer from Workers Comp to handle the foot injury, and I have a followup today when I should have had one on Saturday, almost a week ago. It still hurts to put weight on it and my foot is BLACK in a few places, my toes have turned a deep purple. I hope it’s just bruising and that it will fade and it doesn’t show something far more serious. I should be back at work tomorrow, it hurts like hell to use the clutch in my car though.
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

OUCH I hope you feel better!

Comment

i feel for you

i got a sprain like that in february, my ankle is still deformed, i was only on crutches for a couple of days, so i hope you can heal as fast, the pain does go away eventually

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi
          SC: Are you calling me a liar?
          Me: No, I’m just presenting the facts as I see them.
          SC: I waited 18 weeks for this furniture, and the way I have been treated has been horrible customer service!
          Me: I’m showing here it was ordered the second week of april.
          That's sucks, what a crappy day. It seems like one bad thing leads into another, that happens to me every great once in awhile. We'll, good luck on your worker's comp, and I hope you feel better, and I hope those SCs get what's really coming to them
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

i don't understand how someone can be such an ass to a person who knows where they live.
            DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Lehk
              i don't understand how someone can be such an ass to a person who knows where they live.
              I'm going to be extremely tempted to say that to someone in the future.

Think about it. I have all the person's personal info. I have their phone numbers. I have their addresses. And I even have all of their credit card information.

At any rate, I'm out of work for AT LEAST another week. I can't afford the pay cut >_<

Comment

Working...
              X