This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll just back up for no reason....

Yesterday this guy backed up from one of our pumps for no apparent reason. The way forward was clear, no other car blocking the pump in front or anything like that.

And hit another car. Hit him pretty hard too... hard enough to raise the bonnet on the other car and knock a plastic panel of his own.

His excuse was "oh I can't see that well when I back up". If you're that crap at backing up, why are you driving an SUV? (edit: Why even back up in the first place? The way forward was clear!)

Anyway the second driver was pissed off, but after a while he calmed down enough for them to swap insurance details and go on their way.
    Last edited by edible_hat; 02-13-2008, 02:43 AM.

There's an older woman where I work, she has one of those enormous Ford Expeditions (sp?). Watching her (try to) park every night just makes your eyes glaze over in confusion. I mean, she has to back up at least 5 times before she can actually get into her parking spot. One night she tried to just back into a spot, but that would have probably turned into her hitting the other two cars.

I don't know why she insists on having such a huge vehicle that she obviously cannot control. She can barely see over the steering wheel as it is.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It depends on the driver. I drive a TrailBlazer and have no problem parking in most spaces. I have even parked in a "COMPACT CAR PARKING ONLY" space. Pissed of the guy in the Prius next to me.

Comment

I was a valet, so I can back just about anything into just about any parking space, including conversion vans and the now discontinued Ford Excursion. So I don't have any trouble driving my dad's Expedition. However, we rarely let my mom take it out, as she'd have to park at the far end of the lot.

I never understand people who drive vehicles they cannot handle, especially if they don't have a need for them. As I said above, I can drive vehicles that large - I used to drive around my ex-bf's band, in a Chevy Astro van, with a trailer behind it, with no problems. However, I don't have a need for something that big, being that I'm young and single, so I have a VW Jetta, that has a great turning radius and fewer blind spots. Then again, I'm smart, and not entirely lacking common sense.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Wiht the four cars I learned to drive in, I can drive and park just about anything (since I got my full license, I've only backed into one fence). If you can't park it, don't drive it. (Especially fast and backwards and into another car)

Comment

My opinion on cars is get some thing the right size for you if do 500 dollar shopping or haul lots of large objects invest in a minivan SUV or pickup. other wise get coupe sedan in hatchback. my personal choice at the moment is the Subaru Outback.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              I don't know why she insists on having such a huge vehicle that she obviously cannot control. She can barely see over the steering wheel as it is.
              To feel safe. I don't know how old you are, but just like in the 70's and 80's old people would drive those large grand marquis so that they would feel like they had as much protective steel around them as possible.

Now the geriatric baby boomers are going to the even bigger SUVs.

Comment

I drive a town car myself and my wife drives the minivan (we have two kids so we need the room, and I have long ass legs and need a bigger car). and I know my limitations on parking (need a wider spot cause I gots me a fat ass car )

but I agree, I don't understand folks who get vehicles so big that they can't park them easily. I do remember going to the lake a few times with friends and we would tow my friends boat or jet ski's while he towed the other one. Neither my wife or I could back the Rodeo (at the time) up with the trailor, we'd never done it before and didn't feel comfortable doing it. So we would just toss him our keys and say you do it. Again, I know my limitations, and I'm not gonna dunk my truck in the lake cause I'm a bone head.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I learned to drive on a chevy astro, and I honestly do not feel right when in a compact car. It's just very natural for me to drive a bigger, sturdier car, plus I like to go off road to go camping or hiking or whatever, so I like crossovers like thee torrent or the view, as well as full-blown SUVs and vans...
                  "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

I'm always amazed at people who buy cars...and can't handle them. Just yesterday, I got to watch some idiot in a Grand Am try to parallel-park in front of my building. It's not like the Grand Am is a big car, but he still had trouble. Never mind that you could have docked the *Titanic* in that spot. Didn't stop him from reversing and going forward multiple times...and even getting out of the car for a "visual" at one point

As for the "old people and big cars," some of that is carryover from the 1950s. Back then, big cars were all the rage...and people who had little ones, like VW Beetles, were seen as odd, or even "poor." Of course many of those land yachts sunk during the 1970 oil embargoes Then there are the folks who buy Hummers...and bitch about the gas prices. Well, it's a large, heavy vehicle...what did you expect?
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Just yesterday, I got to watch some idiot in a Grand Am try to parallel-park in front of my building. It's not like the Grand Am is a big car, but he still had trouble. Never mind that you could have docked the *Titanic* in that spot. Didn't stop him from reversing and going forward multiple times...and even getting out of the car for a "visual" at one point
                      I suck at parallel parking. I always have, even when I had a small car. Knowing this, I don't even try, unless I have no other choice.

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
                      To feel safe. I don't know how old you are, but just like in the 70's and 80's old people would drive those large grand marquis so that they would feel like they had as much protective steel around them as possible.
                      Exactly! I think everybody already knows about me being rear-ended by an 18-wheeler a year and a half ago. The only reason I am still here is that I was in my husband's SUV. My next vehicle will be a full sized pick-up truck. I know it's not going to be very economical, but dangit, I want to stick around for a bit, and the drivers around here are just getting worse and worse.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My Dad drives an Expedition and our family affectionately refers to it as "the bus" because that is what it feels like to drive. As I am only 5'3", I have difficulty getting up into the driver's seat. I can't judge where the front or back is, so if I have to park it, I find a spot far out in the parking lot where I can pull it straight through. I'm terrified to try to back it up. An forget parellel parking.
                        "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post

Now the geriatric baby boomers are going to the even bigger SUVs.
                          What worries me about this line of thinking is that driving a bigger car doesn't necessarily make someone safer, and may give them a false sense of security. How many times have we driven down the road after a big winter storm and seen the shoulder or ditches littered with SUVs and trucks, driven by folks who thought having 4 wheel drive and a big vehicle made them invulnerable to the elements.

Also, when big vehicles are in accidents they're much more likely to cause serious damage to those around them; for example, some SUVs and trucks are elevated so high off the road that when they hit cars they can miss the bumpers and potentially ram right into the interior portion of a regular car.

Finally, do you really want folks (like some "old people") who shouldn't be driving doing so in massive multi-ton vehicles?

Quoth protege View Post
                          I'm always amazed at people who buy cars...and can't handle them. Just yesterday, I got to watch some idiot in a Grand Am try to parallel-park in front of my building. It's not like the Grand Am is a big car, but he still had trouble. Never mind that you could have docked the *Titanic* in that spot. Didn't stop him from reversing and going forward multiple times...and even getting out of the car for a "visual" at one point
                          While most of us might be amazed at someone's inability to parallel park, I can appreciate being concerned. In fact, I'd rather someone go overboard making sure they did it right and didn't hit someone else then be overconfident and go roaring into a parking spot.

Something else to consider: I recently had laser-vision surgery after 25 years of wearing glasses. At times I still find myself doubting my vision since I'm so used to the "help" that glasses provided and I might be more apt to double-check my parking or do it again just to be safe.

[I do agree with your main point though - people should only drive vehicles that they can safely and comfortable control.]
                          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

People are weird. I once watched a report about a woman from the UK who had to map out every place she drove to and from because she would not make a right turn due to some weird phobia. (or maybe it was left, I'm not sure at this point. It was a few years ago)
                            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                              People are weird. I once watched a report about a woman from the UK who had to map out every place she drove to and from because she would not make a right turn due to some weird phobia. (or maybe it was left, I'm not sure at this point. It was a few years ago)
                              Probably a right turn, if it was the UK. They drive on the left there, so turning right involves crossing a lane of oncoming traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X