This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Gems

Today's winners were pretty much annoyances, since no one got me seeing red or wanting to go bawl in the back room. So I consider myself lucky. And really, it was only two women that stand out.

Wallet? What's That?

After discovering that she couldn't find a check she'd brought to pay with anywhere on her person, this lady decided to pay in cash. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, except that she appeared to have wadded up cash and loose change everywhere except in the wallet in her purse, which (if memory serves) didn't even contain any credit/debit cards. Nor did it contain her missing check. She eventually found enough cash for her purchase stuffed into two different pockets in her pants, tucked in three different places in her purse, and rattling around loose (coinage) at the bottom of the large handbag. I then had to unfold all these wadded up bills.

This Will Be the Divider/I Want Heavy Stuff on Bottom

The lady immediately following gave me a double dose of wanting to throw peanuts at her head.

First, she loaded her things onto the belt with absolutely no space between her load and Wallet Lady's. Instead, she loudly proclaimed that a package of napkins would be the divider. Apparently she was so intent on getting all of her things on the belt ASAP (despite the belt constantly moving as I scanned stuff) that she couldn't be bothered to leave a gap between the two purchases. And then she went and put stuff in front of the napkins anyway.

Second, she unloaded all of her soft goods (napkins, bread, chips, etc.) onto the belt first, so that they'd be bagged first, and put all of her 2-liter juice bottles and 12-packs of water at the end of the belt (where they'd be bagged last). So I filled all six bags on the bagging carousel first with mostly soft stuff, as well as having a few more items on top of the carousel (there's a flat space that you can set things on). The lady just had to have all the heavy stuff on bottom of her cart, though, and insisted on coming around behind my till where I was working to grab the bags away as I bagged them with juice. I had to ask her twice, the second time sternly, before she stayed on her side of the carousel and let me turn it for her. ::makes strangling motions:: If you want heavy stuff on bottom, put it on the belt first!

Other Peeves

- People who don't seem to grasp the fact that the belt will stop before stuff spills across the register, and keep picking it up and moving it back (and wondering why the belt keeps moving--because you're not letting merchandise block the sensor!). Related to these folks are the ones who'll put their arm in front of their load and forcibly drag it back along the belt to keep it from rolling across the scanner or to keep me from touching it. Also related are the people who will just stand there with their arm obviously blocking the load, even when I scan the last item of the previous order and tell the previous customer the total, and will then look at me with a dead serious expression and say, "This is separate!" as though I'm going to snatch it and scan it the moment they let go. ::deadpan look:: Thank you. It wasn't obvious from your arm blocking the belt that it was your stuff. I thought you just broke your shoulder or something.

- People who insist on reaching across the counter and grabbing one of the bags from right next to me to keep me from adding anything else to it...instead of just asking me not to put anything else in the bag. And when I stop them mid-grab and explain this, they say, "Okay," and then grab the bag anyway.

- People who will get in line after I've shut off my light so I can go home, and then look horribly inconvenienced and angry at me when I explain that I'm closed. It's not my fault you didn't bother to look at the light before hopping in line, folks! Stop with the glares already! Flouncing angrily to the next open register won't make me apologize and summon you back for checkout!

/vent
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    Flouncing angrily to the next open register won't make me apologize and summon you back for checkout!
    Why nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot??????????? ??? Pouting ALWAYS helps me get my way!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      Why nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot??????????? ??? Pouting ALWAYS helps me get my way!!!!!!!!!!!
      Yes that and throwing temper tantrums! Let's all stomp around and mope because we don't get our way! People can be so childish, but they call us stupid?? I think, from my experiences of course, that most people that work in retail longer than 3+ months are decently smart people and it's usually customer error. Of couse every store has their idiots, but then they just get promoted ahead of us.

Comment

People who don't seem to grasp the fact that the belt will stop before stuff spills across the register, and keep picking it up and moving it back (and wondering why the belt keeps moving--because you're not letting merchandise block the sensor!). Related to these folks are the ones who'll put their arm in front of their load and forcibly drag it back along the belt to keep it from rolling across the scanner or to keep me from touching it.
        Oh my GOD! people actually do this???? It makes me laugh just thinking about that, i'm surprised you can compose yourself enough not to burst out in fits of laughter at them!

We have compact checkouts in our stores, where customers dump their baskets o' crap at one side and i bag it for them at the other side. My biggest peeve is when customers dont get a basket and just dump their crap out of their arms into the bagging section. Yeah, great. I have to pick up every item and drag it across to the scanner (next to where the baskets are placed). And then I get mixed up as to what I have scanned and what I haven't! Even worse are those that dump their basket on the bagging area! I mean, the basket section is LOWER and you slide the basket into it! And there's usually at least one basket left there, to show you where to put your basket!!! Customers have to actually LIFT their basket 2 feet higher to haul it onto the bagging area because there's a barrier there to stop the full bags falling onto customers!! FFS. Then they wonder why on earth i'm lugging it across the register to the basket section!

Comment

People do do that, sadly. I also get people who whine, "That's not mine!" when I scan thru the next customer's shopping by accident cuz the idiot didn't have the sense to use a divider. I know CS doesn't condone violence towards customers, but I've often had happy daydreams of throwing every divider on my till at the heads of people who do this. It's not hard to pick up a divider and use it to divide your shopping so that I can see clearly which is yours and which isn't yours.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            It's not hard to pick up a divider and use it to divide your shopping so that I can see clearly which is yours and which isn't yours.
            It is when there are no dividers to be had, which is frequent in a lot of the places I shop, for some bizarre reason.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

People who don't seem to grasp the fact that the belt will stop before stuff spills across the register, and keep picking it up and moving it back (and wondering why the belt keeps moving--because you're not letting merchandise block the sensor!).
              Way back when I worked as a cashier, how I would react to this would vary depending on my mood:

If I were feeling , I would turn the belt off or set something from their order in front of the sensors (a laser and a reciever, if memory serves) until I was ready to start that customer's order.

If I were feeling a bit , I would put my finger over the sensor, which caused the belt to stop, until they let go of their merchandise. (Very easy to do unnoticed since standing behind the keyboard put the end of the belt directly under my right arm where my hand would naturally fall if placing it on the counter.) I'd then move my finger causing the belt to move again and the customer madly dive to stop their Charmin from being eaten by the big, bad belt. When they caught it, I'd cover the sensor again... well, you get the idea. Some customers caught on and thought it was funny, while the ones muddying up the gene pool got all confused. I had many over that.

I know, I'm evil.

...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
              - Cartman

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                It is when there are no dividers to be had, which is frequent in a lot of the places I shop, for some bizarre reason.
                You can still leave a gap between your shopping and the next person's. The people I am bugged at shove it all together so it's impossible to tell.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  You can still leave a gap between your shopping and the next person's. The people I am bugged at shove it all together so it's impossible to tell.
                  I do that. Most people I observe while shopping manage at least that much brain function.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Ah, but we're talking about SCs you know.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth phillippbo View Post
                      If I were feeling a bit ... snip
                      Ahem. Not condoning revenge here, but....

I may have to consider that next time. I just usually leave the belt on and let the customer fuss madly over their items while stifling giggles (when I'm not just annoyed and leaving the belt on to passively bug them).
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

- People who don't seem to grasp the fact that the belt will stop before stuff spills across the register, and keep picking it up and moving it back (and wondering why the belt keeps moving--because you're not letting merchandise block the sensor!).
                        /vent
                        Nothing made me happier on the inside then watching these desperate people move their stuff back and back and back in frustration. They get SO PISSED and yell "Why wont stop the belt!!!???"

"Ma'am it stops automatically..."

"Oh"

Comment

Ha ha, I laugh when people keep moving their stuff on the belt. Unless I am having an "I Hate Stupidity" day, when that sort of thing makes me angry. I swear, people get stupider every day.

Comment

Working...
                          X