This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership Moochers

As I've noted several times on the site, I work in a wholesale club.

Several times throughout the year, the company will send out Trial Membership "vouchers," which look like our membership cards, but explicitly say "Take this to the member services desk for your FREE 60 Day Trial Membership!" In other words, it's NOT a membership card, but that doesn't stop people from trying to use it at the registers anyway. And it's ALWAYS a hassle, because they almost always have already put their stuff on the belt, so I have to move it off the belt and move them out of line, which creates suck later, because they assumed I'd keep their place for them.

Anyway, for years we've had people sign up for the free trial membership, decline to pay the membership fee to become a full member, and then just sign up for a new trial membership when the company sent them a new voucher. The company makes a lot of its profits off those memberships, since wholesale club markups are generally a lot lower than regular stores. So these people are cheating the company out of money by hopping from trial to trial.

Thankfully, last year, along with the shakeup in corporate management, a new mandate was passed down. If someone is already on file in the system as having had a membership with our company (in recent history, I think), they cannot make use of the trial membership offer. For them, it's strictly "sign up for a full membership or take this non-member shopping pass, which includes the non-member surcharge."

Predictably, we had a number of moochers stop shopping with us, but we had plenty who did sign up anyway.

So, yesterday, I'm manning a register. Family comes up with a small cartload of stuff, puts it on the belt as I'm finishing with another customer. Wife tries to hand me the trial voucher.

J2K: *sigh* "I'm sorry, but I can't use this. You need to take it over to the membership desk to sign up."

The group was ethnic, Hispanic, I think, and so I'd been worried there'd be the language barrier to overcome. Thankfully, they seemed to understand. Wife goes off to the desk, and I pack their stuff back into the cart and move it aside, and again, they're fine with this.

Little while later, Moocher Wife comes back and converses briefly with Moocher Husband. Then they turn to the Other Customer in line behind them and ask to use their card.

Oh, crap, thinks Yours Truly. They're moochers, and they were just declined a trial membership, and they're too cheap to buy a full membership. Now they're trying to mooch off this customer.

I interject myself.

J2K: "Sorry, but they can't use your card."
    OC: "Oh, but I don't mind--"
    J2K: "It's company policy. They can't use it."

The moochers talk to one another, then push their cart aside and leave. I apologize to the OC and take the perishable stuff out of the moochers' cart and put it with our cold reshops, and then go back to work.

I'm glad the company has decided to crack down on the moochers. There was one customer that I used to get on a regular basis at the express register, who NEVER had a membership, not even a trial one. He'd ask to use MY membership (not happening) or another customer's membership. He would always come during a rush, as well, and late in the day, when I was tired and not really eager to deal with any bullshit, so I would wave through the mooch just so I could get him out of the store.

Once we were allowed to decline mooching like this, I took great delight in telling him, "No, you can't use their card." "Okay, I use yours?" "No." "...How I pay for this?" "You can go to the membership desk and ask for a day pass." "I pay no surcharge?" "No, there's a surcharge for a day pass." "I no pay surcharge." "Then go to the desk and sign up for a membership."

Needless to say, he stopped shopping at our store (or at least I didn't see him anymore) not too long after that.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Don't you just love cheapskates and freeloaders that like to buck the system for all it's worth. I'm glad corporate caught up to that and put a stop to it. During my hostess days at the restaurant, the owner didn't charge parties who bought in their own cakes. until after this happened. There was a large group of about 12 or so that had their reservation in the lounge and not only did they bring their own cake, but a freakin' fruit platter as well. They claimed that one of the guests in the party couldn't eat foods with gluten (then why the blue fuck are y'all in an ITALIAN restaurant?!!). When the owner found out he was pissed and since then, he started charging parties for bringing in their own cake. He also put a stop to free refills on non-alcoholic drinks seeing that cheapskates were taking advantage of it.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I dare say! I work at a wholesale club too, OP, one of your main competitors. :P

We do not offer one day passes for this very reason. You can get a walk-around pass to come inside and visit, and see if you like it, but if you wanna shop, you MUST have a membership.

And cards are non-transferable. If your name/picture is not on the card, you cannot use it.

The "markup" surcharge fee doesn't work for us, because our upcharge on the original buy price is so low (no more that 14-17%? above what we got it for), the surcharge would have to be a ridiculous amount to make up a difference.

But I love these rules.
      "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Where I work, we offer 2nd and 6th months free on the storage unit.

Now we had this one customer who would move out right after the six month, and then move right back in that day. Just to get the 2nd and 6th month. finally one of the owners was there and the guy tried that. The owner said nope, not happening. You can move out and move back in, but will not get the 2nd and 6th month free.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
          He also put a stop to free refills on non-alcoholic drinks seeing that cheapskates were taking advantage of it.
          Ok.... I'm sorry, but if I'm charged $2 or something similar for a 12 oz glass of fountain soda, I'd expect a free refill for that price.

I don't think of myself as being a cheapskate for that.

I hope you're talking about more elaborate non-alcoholic drinks.
          Last edited by Wenchie; 09-28-2008, 08:04 AM.
          "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
            Ok.... I'm sorry, but if I'm charged $2 or something similar for a 12 oz glass of fountain soda, I'd expect a free refill for that price.
            Maybe they were sharing? If they shared 1 drink between 5 people, then I can understand why he'd be upset.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Maybe they were sharing? If they shared 1 drink between 5 people, then I can understand why he'd be upset.
              Very true. Maybe it was something like that.

Like people who pay for one buffet and then share with their spouse. *stabbity*
              "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
                Very true. Maybe it was something like that.

Like people who pay for one buffet and then share with their spouse. *stabbity*
                It was the case and we've had a case where an SC that tried to share her food with her hubby (the restaurant always had a no sharing stance on food) and when she was told no, she went in a tizzy about it with the server, so he had to bring out the owner who stood his ground on the no sharing food rule and that bitch stiffed the server.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

It was the case and we've had a case where an SC that tried to share her food with her hubby (the restaurant always had a no sharing stance on food) and when she was told no, she went in a tizzy about it with the server, so he had to bring out the owner who stood his ground on the no sharing food rule and that bitch stiffed the server.
                  Don't feel bad. That level of cheapskate would have stiffed the server anyway.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

They claimed that one of the guests in the party couldn't eat foods with gluten (then why the blue fuck are y'all in an ITALIAN restaurant?!!).
                    I'm gluten intolerant and I can usually find something to eat at an Italian restaurant. Real minestrone soup, risotto, something.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I get free membership vouchers all the time from a local warehouse club. Yep, I've never paid for a membership because they keep sending me the trial offers. I don't think this is sucky.

Yes, I'm cheap, but I don't feel that I'm "cheating" the company out of any money. If they didn't want me to sign up for the trial offers serially, then they should stop sending them to me in the mail.

Is this the way the company wishes I would use the trial offers? No. But I don't see it as wrong that I take advantage of the repeated free coupons. It is not as if I am stealing free offers from another mailbox, or forging some voucher off the internet.

And no, I have never attempted to check out without a membership. I'm not that stupid or sucky.

SirWired

Comment

Working...
                      X