This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOGO Buffoonery

Near the end of my shift, I was bagging for a new cashier on the express lane (normally I get barked at for helping on express even if the main lines all have baggers, but at this point the store was so dead I think FEM was just happy I was being useful). Cashier is a nice older guy, makes a few mistakes but who doesn't?

Cue lady who actually had 14 items (even though one is free, it still counts as one physical item). She bought a BOGO detergent, sale shrimp and a few other items. She seems to be looking at the screen a bit too closely...luckily this happened after he had already totaled it so the timer was stopped.

"This is wrong. I think there's a mistake here, this rang up wrong! It should be free!"

She's referring to some English muffins that are BOGO, but...

--The sale varieties are limited to Original, Original Multigrain, and Original Honey Wheat
    --She has "High Fiber" multigrain. Those are rarely, if ever, on sale
    --The sale tag says "Original varieties only"

"Your scanner is wrong! I want you to take everything off and redo the order, and tell me each price as you scan it!" She refuses to hear that the cashier alone can't do that (large voids require a manager key). At this point a cashier from Register 5 is looking over (I think this 'lady' is the loudest person in the store; I spot SM looking down from his office). Muffin Lady pulls out a circular and starts stabbing it with an evil-looking fingernail. "These are the muffins!" over and over, talking over the poor cashier who is trying to say that no, that variety is not on sale and even if it was, there is tax on both bottles of detergent. She whips out a smartphone and fumbles with the calculator. "I want you to add this all up!" (um, that's what the register does. It is accurate, trust me)

After a few minutes of this tirade, FEM comes over.

"These should be buy one get one! I should get both for free because the register is wrong!" During this, her shrimp and ice cream is beginning to sweat. FEM voids and re-rings the order, having a bit of fun by slowly explaining each price to her.

FEM sends me to get the sale tag (I swear sometimes walkie-talkies would be a good idea); she doesn't want to leave the crazy alone with a new cashier. I come back with the tag.

"Ma'am, the sale is for Original muffins only. These are high fiber."
    "Where does it say that? Show me!"
    FEM shows where the circular and sale tag say "Original varieties only" and the packaging for the high fiber version does not say Original anywhere on it.
    "But the multigrain are on sale! This is multigrain!"
    "This is double-fiber. These are NOT on sale."
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Cue extreme CBF and literally a minute of silence. Then: "I don't want them. take them off."

So I bag her crap (had she been decent, I would have offered to fetch her "new" frozen goods but FEM gave me the 'no' headshake; the delay was her own fault) and she stalks off with her bags.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I hate those damned BOGO sales. Our company prints the sale signs with the item on sale in 1" bold type, the caveats in half inch tall bold type, impossible to misunderstand. The customers never, ever read the sales signs correctly, and complain about the "fine print" (half an inch tall and in bold case)! They bring up the right brand but wrong item, or the wrong item altogether.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ours also have the price and 'FREE' twice the size of any restrictions. SM swears that my mom is the only person in town who actually reads and obeys the 'fine print' (he jokes that if mom can read it without her glasses, there should be no excuses for anyone else).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I think she possibly needed the fiber.....to flush out whatever crawled up her butt and died...
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Props to your FEM for sticking to the sale and not going all jellyfish.

Comment

Working...
          X