This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But the other store has it for X dollars!"

Not being a smartass here, but does anyone know why customers do this?

Get a product, take it to the register, then say that Suchastore has it for -x dollars.

We require a print ad for proof, so we don't lose money to unscrupulous folks who make false claims.

SC: "No I don't have an ad. I was JUST OVER THERE, and they have it for $4.38!"

Me: "Um. Really? Wow. This printer is $79.00. Imagine that."

SC: "So will you give me a discount?"

Me: "We require a printed ad. Sorry."

SC: "Never mind then." <pays for item>

Assuming they are telling the truth, (and I know they are, at least some of the time) why don't they just buy it at the other store?

Because that would be far too easy and wouldn't give them anything to complain about. And we can't have that, now can we?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

... or Option B) the SC was there and the other store sold out because the deal was a sale with limited stock (I can't imagine a sale where a $79 printer is going for under $5 lasting longer than an hour in my small town, much less in a larger city).
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

The printer thing was a vast exaggeration. Although someone did claim they saw a printer for $30 when it retails for $90.

Ok, option B I can understand.

I'm not saying "ZOMG customers R dumb."

I really would like an explanation.

Comment

Or option C: The customer is full of it and just wants to try and scam a discount.
          "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yeah I'd have it in this order.
            A) Customer is a lying cheapskate and makes a number up to scam a discount.
            B) The other store does have the sale but it was a limited item thing and they were all sold out.
            C) They are lazy.

edit: Now that I think of it. I've been option B before. But I of course had the flyer with me.

Comment

Quoth JesseCuster40 View Post
              Assuming they are telling the truth, (and I know they are, at least some of the time) why don't they just buy it at the other store?
              Because they're not.

Comment

Because they like to waste gas driving around town to stores which they know do price matches.

Such as my store, which does price matches. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL. Seriously, they mention this in their print ads and on the company-produced "How to buy an HDTV" film played on all the display TVs in the electronics department.

Or maybe it's because the store they were at before ran out, so they come to my store thinking we'll do a price match, but if the other store's sold out then they're SOL.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                X