Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes I will work for free /sarcasm (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    Now, get yourself a legal copy of Windows XP (might take a bit, but it's out there to buy). Get it installed. SP2 will only have IE6. Get Firefox 2 installed there, as well.
    Got a legal copy of Vista and XP. Got both IE 6, and 7, and Firefox 2 and 3. =D I have noticed more and more using Opera, so installing that later this week.

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    For references on the three major technologies, along with details on what works and what doesn't across the browsers, check the following books/sites:
    Yep, actually bought a bunch of books on HTML, Javascript, Ajax, and my cousin lent me a Perl book. I just need to pick up something on CSS.

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    As for any backend stuff (such as which web framework to use), well, there's too many possible links. Tell me what you to go to after Dreamweaver, and I'll help you get started
    Don't I know about the backend...oy.

After Dreamweaver?...either I turn it over to my husband to finish out, or I manage to code it up a bit myself and upload to GoDaddy. I haven't made any uber detailed websites yet...just mainly a few with static pages. I'm terrified to think of what may happen one day when I have to make some insanely zany site.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

A while ago my fiance was gonna design (or more like give it a make over) the website for a local and well known golden oldies/doo wop band.They band wanted all the bells and whistles on their site for next to nothing. He hasn't heard back from the band after he gave them his price for his services. Cheap bastards. Besides web design, he does networking, builds and repairs computers and tech support. One of the clients would constantly call my fiance for help on his computer and always argue with him and get stubborn on how to work the computer ...and he would try and get my fiance's services for free. That's the downside of freelancing, SC's think that any work you do on or for their computers means it's free or dirt cheap. Hey you cheapskates, we gotta make a living too ya know!!!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
        Got a legal copy of Vista and XP. Got both IE 6, and 7, and Firefox 2 and 3. =D I have noticed more and more using Opera, so installing that later this week.
        Excellent. Don't forget to use elinks as a final test. If your site is usable in elinks, then anybody can use it, regardless of platform, browser, or physical disability (such as eyesight issues).

Quoth Seraph View Post
        Yep, actually bought a bunch of books on HTML, Javascript, Ajax, and my cousin lent me a Perl book. I just need to pick up something on CSS.
        Hmmm... Perl is not my first choice for new developers. Perl is a great and powerful language. It also allows some very bad programming practices to sneak into your habits, and you'll never even know it until you find out the hard way elsewhere. In fact, some of what Perl does encourages those habits unless you already know they are bad.

Might I recommend, if you're new to programming, picking up Python? Python is not perfect either (no language is, or else that's the one we'd all be using for everything), but it does force better programming practices in general, especially for new developers. It also has excellent documentation available online.

Quoth Seraph View Post
        After Dreamweaver?...either I turn it over to my husband to finish out, or I manage to code it up a bit myself and upload to GoDaddy. I haven't made any uber detailed websites yet...just mainly a few with static pages. I'm terrified to think of what may happen one day when I have to make some insanely zany site.
        No, I meant for sites with more dynamic content. That's what I meant by after Dreamweaver. For instance, Cold Fusion does something in relation to Dreamweaver (though I'm not entirely sure if it is just a programming language, or what, since I've never used it).

Dynamic content is the killer app, but there are so many choices to make to decide on a framework, server, etc. Take my first epic post in this thread, and multiply by three to figure out how much I'd have to type to compare just the ones I know

Comment

Holy SHIT! That's not just a Sucky Customer, that's a full-blown Customer from Hell!!! O.O

Comment

Working...
          X