This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed up charge port pin (laptop)

We've actually been quoted about $90 for the repair, but I was wondering if there were anything I could do about this laptop. We're not quite sure what is wrong, but we believe the pin, port, and the end of the charge cord has completely screwed up because of us tripping over the wire and whatnot.

The bit of the charge cord you put into the laptop looks rough and feels worse, plus once the laptop is on for a while it starts to smell burnt. The metal bit of the charger that you put into the computer gets very hot (it even burns my fingers) from trying to charge because the connection keeps going loose or something and reconnecting, etc...

It's an ASUS laptop, couple years old, in good condition otherwise. We just really don't want to update to 8 until they have the start menu back in, so any advice/help on how to make the damn thing not blink AC MODE BATTERY MODE AC MODE BATTERY MODE all the time would be great. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon.
    Last edited by Tama; 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

If it is just power brick you can get them off of eBay easily enough. If the jack on the computer is, in fact, damaged, $90 doesn't sound unreasonable as the the machine would need to be disassembled to replace the jack. If you post a couple of pictures (wire & plug on the power brick, jack on the computer) we would be in a better position to help.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

The funny thing is, we recently replaced the power cord (the brick was sparking out of one end) and the 'female' bit you place into the computer still got messed up in a hurry.

We also need to replace the battery (the computer is telling us this). Methinks the constant blinking has screwed it up a bit.
      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        The funny thing is, we recently replaced the power cord (the brick was sparking out of one end) and the 'female' bit you place into the computer still got messed up in a hurry.

We also need to replace the battery (the computer is telling us this). Methinks the constant blinking has screwed it up a bit.
        This wrecked the battery in my boyfriend's computer. So yeah, most likely.

Comment

What I find most strange is that the green light that tells you that the computer is charging is on when the computer is off. It has no problems charging when the computer is off. I wonder why that is...

EDIT: Also, we bought one that was supposed to have been specifically for ASUS but which we're now unsure of.
          Last edited by Tama; 07-17-2014, 01:06 AM.
          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

T'is better to start from the least expensive / easiest to handle part, and work your way up. Since you've already replaced the power brick and cord, that's a good start. Some laptops won't function if you don't even have a battery placed into it. If you try a new battery and still have the same issues, then it's time to move on to the charging port.

Go on ebay and type in ASUS along with your model number, followed by "Power". Alternatively you can do a power search by typing in something like:

Asus P1400 (power,jack,dc,connector)

And it will list all items that have both "Asus" and "p1400" (I just put P1400 as a name for a model), followed by any of the last four words. You can then go to the left pane and click on "US sellers only", then list "buy It Now", followed by "least expensive plus shipping" and it will give you the best rates. Scroll down the list further to see if a seller has the needed item that it closest to you as well.

The actual power jack should only be $5-$10 in some cases, but you'll have to find someone qualified to do the soldering work.

Comment

Well, he's got it in the shop. The job is going to be $120, and I believe they confirmed that it WAS the charge port pin. Although, we probably will replace the battery and cord again soon.
              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Alright, so I went quiet because it was in the shop. The pin was fixed but after a few days of bliss it began blinking again.

Al figures it must be that there's a short in the wire. So we're going to go out and get another one tomorrow...so I guess my question is, where is the generally best place to get one, The big yellow tag, or elsewhere?
                My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Depends on how fast you need it. Best Buy and Batteries Plus will have it, but you'll pay a higher price than waiting to get one online from eBay, NewEgg, Amazon, etc.

Comment

Aha! I believe we have found the problem. The cord we had, had a higher output than necessary for the laptop.

D'oh!
                    My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Higher current capacity should be fine. Higher voltage, however, could reasonably be a problem. Which is it?

Comment

Okay, I had it wrong. The voltage for the cord was too low, and it burned out. We went to the Big Yellow Price Tag and they didn't stock any cords with a high enough voltage...their highest was still 10 too few.

As we have a gaming laptop...we gotta order it.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          Okay, I had it wrong. The voltage for the cord was too low, and it burned out. We went to the Big Yellow Price Tag and they didn't stock any cords with a high enough voltage...their highest was still 10 too few.

As we have a gaming laptop...we gotta order it.
                          Look at Monoprice for cables. Their prices are pretty good, and the high-cap cables I've gotten from them have been working well. Not sure how their customer service is, because I haven't had a claim yet.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X