This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my hat?!

I was working the breakfast/lunch shift on Friday and an older gentleman came into the restaurant. When I went to go seat him (assuming he was a customer) he told me he wished to speak with my coworker (who is also the manager).

HLM (hatless man)
    Coworker (K)
    Moi (M)

HLM: I was in here on Tuesday and I left my baseball cap behind (describes it). I remember that you were serving me.
    K: Actually, I do recall seeing it. Let me go get it from the back for you.
    She goes into the back and searches for a few minutes but can't find it anywhere
    K: I'm afraid I can't seem to find it. I do remember seeing it though. Can I take your name and number? I will speak to my coworker who was here on Tuesday and see if he knows where it has been put.
    HLM: Where is my hat?
    K: I'm very sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know. I would be more than happy to have a better look when it isn't so busy, and I can ask my coworker, then give you a call.
    HLM: I'll wait while you look
    K: I'm sorry, but we are in the middle of our lunch rush and I don't have the time to search for it, but please allow me to take your contact information so I can call you after I've spoken to my coworker.
    HLM: I'll wait while you phone him
    K: I can't phone him right now, he is at his other job.
    HLM: I'll wait
    K: Can I take your contact information?
    HLM: When will you speak to him?
    K: The next time I work with him will be on Monday, so I will phone you that afternoon.
    HLM: Monday?!
    M: Actually, I'm going to see him tomorrow when I come in for my evening shift, so I would be more than happy to speak to him regarding the hat and I will give you a call afterwards.
    HLM: When?
    M: I will try to phone sometime before 8:30 if it's not too busy
    We finally get him to give us his name and number
    M: Thank you. I will give you a ring tomorrow after I've spoken to my coworker. We're very sorry about the inconvenience
    HLM: When will you call?
    M: Tomorrow evening, sir
    HLM: You can leave a message.
    M: I will
    HLM: Maybe I'll come in around 8
    M: You're more than welcome to, sir, but it may be busy
    HLM: OK, I'll come in tomorrow evening

Now, I know how frustrating it is to lose something, and it's our fault if the hat was misplaced in our care, but the guy just wasn't listening. And it wasn't like he desperately needed this hat, because he was already wearing a baseball cap almost identical to the one he described. But, I found out when I was out for drinks with some other coworkers later that night, that the guy came back in that very same evening and reamed the girls out for not knowing anything about the hat. He made them phone the manager, K, and the coworker who'd been working with her on the day the hat was lost, but he didn't know anything about it (not surprising, he doesn't pay attention to anything that's not attached to his person, but that's another rant). When they told him this, he got angry and caused a bit of a scene.

He came back in today at lunch time, and we immediately got the owner/chef instead of dealing with it ourselves. I didn't listen to the conversation, but having the owner (a big tall man) talk to HLM instead seemed to do the trick of calming him down, but I won't be surprised if he comes back in tomorrow.

Quoth Happy Otter Lover View Post
    HLM: Where is my hat?
    Don't look at me

Comment

We had an instance at the cinema of a child leaving a Buzz Lightyear doll behind. It was found when the screen was cleaned, and as is the case with most toys, was played with by the floor staff who don't have a lot to do during the quiet periods.

When the child's mother came in to ask about it a few days later, she was told, "Oh yes, we found it and played with it."

But the doll was nowhere to be found now, in fact it had been thrown away. So the mother had to be reimbursed the cost of the doll.

Now there are strict instructions that any lost property is to be handed in, logged and no mention is to be made of us having seen anything when a customer comes asking for something.

So on Saturday night we added a tube of denture fixing cream to the lost propert cupboard!

But it always amazes me how many mobile phones and wallets get left behind.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
      X