Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The nursing home left a resident at the mall!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nursing home left a resident at the mall!

I received a call from Mum a few hours ago - she works in a department store at the local mall. There was an elderly man in the store who didn't know who he was or where he lived. She'd called the police but said it had been an hour and they hadn't come. So she called me and Dad, at home.

She wanted to know the name of a nearby nursing home. Dad knew where it was, I provided Mum with the streets it was on the corner of, and she remembered the name. That's what I call team work.

Anyway, she called back a while later. Turns out that it was the correct nursing home. They'd taken a busload of seniors to the mall and left several hours later. Without the guy who was wandering around Mum's store. The mall's courtesy bus took the guy back to the nursing home.

And just so we're clear, this was not a new low in humanity for me. As soon as she asked what the name of the nursing home was, I knew there was a confused old person in her store. I just knew it. Thank you, fellow posters, for desensitising me to craziness and idiocy.

This may or may not top the time she found a random kid in the store, in which it turned out that a lady with like 8 kids had left one behind.
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

After thinking of how much hell I would catch from how many directions for doing something like that, I need a lie-down.

Damn, people, head-count. Early. Often.

In 96 I worked with the second-dumbest staff ever. Some of our underlings (not mine, thank God) weren't really tracking their campers well enough, so the program manager got an evil plan- she spent a day going around and "kidnapping" campers- she'd call one aside quietly (not a surprise- administrative (ad) staff usually goes thru the Unit Leaders, but they do talk to kids sometimes) and talk to her. If the counselor didn't twig quickly enough, she would lead the child off with her little brood (they did something fun but not wonderfully so). I think she tried this on one of my counselors, but it didn't work (of course not, I had an awesome staff that year). Others? Not so good. For teh curious- assume a ration of 1 adult to 6-10 kids (varies by age and unit population).

Of course, foul was called- if an ad staffer pulls one of your kids, it's ok 99.999999% of the time, though really you *should* check in (actually, the Ad Staffer should *tell* you before she takes said kid), however, campers have been known to teleport. It was never done again (it didn't need to, the dumbest staff ever tracked their kids better). As an ad staffer, I would not carry out this plan.

Comment

When I worked at a campground/beach, we had several incidents of people getting left behind that I can remember.

The first was an elderly woman who had come to the beach with a group of seniors. They brought two buses, and I guess both buses assumed she was on the other one, when in fact she was in the washroom. She wasn't senile, though, so she just came to the beach office and asked to borrow our phone. I remember the whole thing clearly because it took the senior centre THREE HOURS to come back and get her....and they were only a half-hour drive away. I had to stay late at work, waiting with her. She kept apologizing, even though it wasn't really her fault.

The second time it was a mentally-handicapped child left behind by his school group. That one infuriated us. We were going to call his school, and then we realized that he had his parents' emergency contact number attached to his jacket. We called his dad instead, who came from work to pick him up immediately. He started yelling at us until we explained that we were not affiliated with his son's school group.

I'm positive that someone ended up getting fired for that one.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

You think setting up a camp staffer by "kidnapping" a camper is bad? Many waterparks in Ohio are subject to staged accidents during the working day while the park is open by the state inspectors to test the responses of lifeguards. I realize you almost never see an accident coming, but to intentionally scare the hell out of a lifeguard, not to mention the park's customers, many of them being younger kids, just strikes me the wrong way. This was the main reason I didn't decide to work in Kings Island's waterpark**, even though I had the BSA Lifeguarding certification and experience at the time. Real accidents are bad enough, and I knew I'd probably kill the person who popped up from the stretcher with a cheerful, "Congratulations! You passed!"

**Their loss. It's not very humble of me, but I was a hell of a lifeguard, and I'm proud of it. I have a lot of good memories from that time, including two saves where the victims both came out all right. If the camp hadn't closed (internal politics), I wouldn't have been looking for work elsewhere.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My church left me behind at a ski lodge once!

Long story, short version is: we were supposed to be doing a volunteer activity after we were done skiing. Several problems with this:

1. This was a rich kids group, and they'd never done anything like it, so it wasn't high on their priority list.

2. The main adults in charge of the trip were all sick back at the hotel.

3. For some reason, they had not yet instituted a head check system.

So, I went to chuck my stuff back on the bus, and then trotted off to where we were supposed to meet, and no-one was there. I waited a while, then headed back to the busses...which were gone. So it's sunset, up on a mountain, and my ride is gone (I was 14 at the time).

I kept waiting for them to come back, but they never did. I finally plucked up my courage, and asked some employees who were leaving to take me back. We caroomed down the mountain road at a not entirely safe speed, until we found the ski rental place, where my church's busses were parked. They hadn't even noticed I was missing until it came time to return the stupid skiis and I wasn't there.

Guess who got in trouble? Not the chaperones who didn't do a headcount, not my seatmate who didn't notice, not my sister who tried to tell the chaperones, but me. Despite the fact that I was the one following the printed schedule.

I was very happy when we left that stupid church.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

My sister works in Daycare. She's the director so she has to stay when parents are late (they have to pick up their kids by 6 PM or get charged extra). She had a lady once not show up till after 7 PM because she (direct quote) "forgot she had kids"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              You think setting up a camp staffer by "kidnapping" a camper is bad? Many waterparks in Ohio are subject to staged accidents during the working day while the park is open by the state inspectors to test the responses of lifeguards. I realize you almost never see an accident coming, but to intentionally scare the hell out of a lifeguard, not to mention the park's customers, many of them being younger kids, just strikes me the wrong way. This was the main reason I didn't decide to work in Kings Island's waterpark**, even though I had the BSA Lifeguarding certification and experience at the time. Real accidents are bad enough, and I knew I'd probably kill the person who popped up from the stretcher with a cheerful, "Congratulations! You passed!"

The company King's Island is under still kinda does that (waterpark I work for is under same corporate group). But the supervisors drop in a Resusibaby into the pool and watch how long it takes the lifeguard to notice. Has given a few lifeguards a shock, particularly when they don't see it.

Will also say I've been lucky with my various group trips that we haven't left anybody behind on accident. Few track trips we left them behind on purpose, but that's because they didn't show up on time for when we were leaving to go to the meet (no, we don't leave them someplace along the trip, coach wasn't that mean.)
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                She had a lady once not show up till after 7 PM because she (direct quote) "forgot she had kids"
                How in the hell do you forget something like THAT?
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  I'm sure she was just being glib.

It's still a very irresponsible and rude thing to do.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    My sister works in Daycare. She's the director so she has to stay when parents are late (they have to pick up their kids by 6 PM or get charged extra). She had a lady once not show up till after 7 PM because she (direct quote) "forgot she had kids"
                    Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    I've had my mom and dad do that... Dad did it once when I was 11 years old and in a day home while he was at work... He'd had a very frazzly day. Considering my parents divorced when I was 5 and it was my dad who got 4 rather half-wild children (3 girls, one boy!) to take care of on top of everything else (work, house payments, school payments, divorce proceedings, etc), the fact that he only forgot us the once is a testament to his epic awesomeness.

My mom's forgotten me three times lol but she only did it once by accident. After that it was a running gag.
                    "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                    ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                      The company King's Island is under still kinda does that (waterpark I work for is under same corporate group). But the supervisors drop in a Resusibaby into the pool and watch how long it takes the lifeguard to notice.

Holy poo, I almost choked to death laughing. I thought that said "Re-use-i-baby."

Comment

LOL. But what use would a Reuseibaby be? Maybe training new parents?
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                        X