Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, if we have to call our students "customers" I guess I may belong here after all

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, if we have to call our students "customers" I guess I may belong here after all

It's been a long, long time. (Checks archives, sees 2016 of Feb was my last thread.) Okay, not as long as I thought. But it sure feels like it.

I stopped posting because I stopped having material, because I thought I had escaped customer service. I managed to escape my crazy boss from the Marina (aka my father) and my crazy boss from Arbys. I finished my degree, moved across the country to be with my lovely girlfriend, and became a teacher.

My argument for returning is above. My district insists that we call the parents and students customers. We literally had to watch a customer service video as part of our mandatory training. And those crazy stories I remember this forum for? I got a boatload of them.

But they'd be a bit of a different change of pace. Eh. It's summer. I'm bored AF. I'd love to talk to non-teachers about the Teaching Life (TMCR). I'll try it out. We'll see how it goes. I was reading through the Gravekeeper archives (hi GK! Glad to see you're alive, not glad to see that you appear to be miserable, glad to see you appear to be less miserable than you were before. True comedy comes from pain I suppose) and I decided to look this forum up. My login information is still saved, and everything looks exactly the same. Well. With that said.

Welcome back! It's too bad the reason you're back is having to deal with terrible "customers," but I think we're all glad you have a place to vent.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Teaching life has some of the best stories. My mother has been teaching 2nd grade since 1964. I started grading papers for her in 3rd grade.

I can't wait to hear your stories!
      My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Welcome back!

My mother is a (now-retired) professor, and was a grad-student when I was born. I hear you about teaching; I've heard some of it from Mom. Though she had a lot more to say about departmental politics than the students...
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Welcome back, even if it is for such a sad reason as having content to share!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Welcome back!

We're pretty much the same, just under new ownership. Raps has retired from the site (tho he still pokes his head in from time to time) and now travels fairly often in his free time.

As for Gravekeeper - He's gleefully retired from the call center from hell, and is now in a much less stressful/customer-facing occupation, tho he pops in from time to time.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X