This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelin' the love...

This is a bit rambly as I'm supremely tired, so do bear with me. So, got back from vacation Wednesday (the 6th) afternoon/evening-ish and en route to the airport I called work to find out my schedule. Talked to GM.

GM: Oh, hey, I didn't think you were coming back until tomorrow. So, I put you on the schedule for Friday instead.
    Me: Ok, great see you on Fri--
    GM: No, no! come in tomorrow...

And it's been downhill from there...I've been given near full time hours for the last week, and tomorrow is my first day off since returning to work. I was supposed to have Wednesday off as well, but sweet crap, they took that away! And the justification? The managers haven't had a day off yet, since January first, so I really shouldn't complain?

But then, I'm not management, am I? (If I am I DEMAND a raise!)

And speaking of management, we got a new store manager while I was on vacation. She seems nice, so far, and after a few conversations I'm very very cautiously optimistic things may change for the better. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Apparently, no one could do anything while I was gone. I came back and the Textbook section was very very scary. And apparently, I've accomplished more in the week I've been back than was done in the almost 3 weeks I've been gone. Sad.

Upon talking with GM and new SM today, I was given yet another pile of work to complete and I actually whimpered. Realize, that for me, pulling full time hours is not something I'm used to. Plus, I ride the bus, so to get to the store at opening means I have to be up at least around 4:30 to get ready, to catch a bus by 6 am. Getting off work between 4 and 5 means, again, if I'm lucky, getting home by 6:30 or 7. I've just enough time to make something to eat, shower and fall into bed to repeat the cycle. I've not even completely unpacked yet!

I mentioned this in passing and GM quipped with "Aw, Lupo, it just means that we LOVE you and we missed you!"

My response?

"GM...I could use a little less love, thanks..."

I'll write more about adventures in Textbook Hell when I'm more coherent. I'm just too tired and sadly, rather thrilled that I get to sleep in until 6:30-7 tomorrow morning. go me.

I would kill for 40 hours, but not the travel time you have. I was having to be at work at 5:30 am most of this week due to me training in Accounting. Which meant getting up at 4am every morning. Not fun. Going to bed at 8pm is just weird and unusual for me.

Comment

I'm 3 minutes from work so

All I can say Lupo is "THINK OF THE PAYCHECK!" Cha-ching!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

My work is 10 minutes by car.

60 minutes by bus.

I'm so glad I have a working car again.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I only take public transit, a bus and a train. I get up at 4:30 every day so I can ensure I get to work by 7am. The funny thing is the people that drive are almost always late, while I'm early .

Commute takes about an hour or so in the morning...and an take 1 or 2 hours at night depending on what bus I catch or miss.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            The funny thing is the people that drive are almost always late, while I'm early .

Commute takes about an hour or so in the morning...and an take 1 or 2 hours at night depending on what bus I catch or miss.
            Same problem here. Hell, one of my CWs lives so close, it takes him 10 minutes to walk here, and he's STILL chronically late, we're talking between 10-20 minutes everyday.

Yeah, public transit commute. Fuuun. But infinitely cheaper than owning a car in this city, and while I do have some complaints, overall it's not horrible, compared to some places I've been.

I'd still like some more sleep. Or at least one more day off! As it is, I considered it a luxury to sleep in until 6:30, just so I could get up and run errands and take care of a few things on my day off. Been running around all day. Not very restful, and then it's back to Textbook Hell tomorrow

<SIGH>

And EQ? Paycheck has lotsa hours, true, but I'm also a minimum wage drone, so...kinda so/so on thinking of the paycheck. But thanks for the reminder.

Comment

The reason that us close-by people are chronically late is because we're close, so it doesn't take any real time to get there, so we don't have to leave until we have to be there, right? So then we're late, so we might as well not hurry too much since we couldn't make it on time, anyway.

I'm a terrible procrastinator and chronically late to work. Although, I'm working on improving; I wasn't more than 8 minutes late to work this last week, and only 2 minutes late today.

... yeah, not much of an achievement, but a damn sight better than my typical 10-15 record...

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                Apparently, no one could do anything while I was gone. I came back and the Textbook section was very very scary. And apparently, I've accomplished more in the week I've been back than was done in the almost 3 weeks I've been gone.
                It's not that they couldn't do it. It's that they knew you'd be back before long, so why should they do it? Slag off work, feign ignorance or inability, butter you up with, "But you're so GOOD at it!" and dump all the piled-up work on you.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  It's not that they couldn't do it. It's that they knew you'd be back before long, so why should they do it? Slag off work, feign ignorance or inability, butter you up with, "But you're so GOOD at it!" and dump all the piled-up work on you.
                  Yep, pretty much.

well, management didn't, but CWs did. That and a good chunk of what I'm doing is taking even longer to do because I'm finding and fixing problems CWs caused by being complete asstards with no common sense.

Example: 3 books that we bought new, had to be damaged out and relabeled as used because rather than put the excess on the endcaps, someone decided to cram them behind the already full stack of books on the shelf and the covers got mangled. I still don't think anyone is going to buy them either.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    The reason that us close-by people are chronically late is because we're close, so it doesn't take any real time to get there, so we don't have to leave until we have to be there, right? So then we're late, so we might as well not hurry too much since we couldn't make it on time, anyway. I'm a terrible procrastinator and chronically late to work. Although, I'm working on improving; I wasn't more than 8 minutes late to work this last week, and only 2 minutes late today. ... yeah, not much of an achievement, but a damn sight better than my typical 10-15 record... ^-.-^
                    Yeah, I've been 2 to 3 minutes late every shift for the last 5 years. I don't think they care. And now I live 1 1/2 miles away! I think it's because I know I can leave whenever, but if I rode the bus I'd have to leave on time.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                    X