Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I have done in this situation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I have done in this situation?

Last I worked at a small shop. At the end of every day we were required to run the deposit to the bank a couple of miles away. Failure to do so could potentially mean big trouble.

One night I had left the store but forgot to take the deposit. I had left it sitting it out of sight so it's not like someone could have seen through the windows. When I realized I had forgotten it, I called my manager, explained what happened and asked her:

A) If she wanted me to go back to get the deposit and take it to the bank
    or
    B) Leave it and she could take care of it the next day

She said to leave it. This was fine with me even though I was perfectly willing to take it back.

Flash forward a couple of weeks and I end up in a review meeting with this same manager and my regional manager in which I get WRITTEN UP for not dropping off that deposit that I forgot about it.

I told my regional manager TWICE that I was willing to take it but had contacted my manager and she had told me to leave the deposit behind.

The regional manager refused to back off on the write up and my manager who was RIGHT BESIDE ME said nothing to defend me or back up my story, she just nodded. I did sign the write up (as it had been made pretty clear to me that I would be fired if I didn't).

In the end I did nothing more except put in my two weeks notice shortly after this incident, but there's a part of me that thinks I should have fought harder for myself. I guess I realized I couldn't really come out ahead no matter what and figured I'd be better off working elsewhere.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Shoulda thrown your manager under the bus so hard she ended up in the sewers. Words like "preferential treatment," "disciplined for following instructions" and "entrapment" would have been your friend. If there's a record of your call to the manager, that should be enough proof you did your due diligence, so the results of that should then fall to the manager. And since it was a cell, then every number you call is on your bill.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm a bit on the other side of this; admitting right away that you left the deposit and offering to go back for it does not make up for forgetting it in the first place, and the manager's telling you not to go back after it is just making the best of things, as that would be more dangerous. If it's possible to get a fuller version of the story than just "left deposit" into the write-up, that would be a good thing. It would only be "preferential treatment" if others who did the same thing were not written up, and "disciplined for following instructions" and "entrapment" would only apply if you'd been instructed to leave it in the store *before actually doing so.*

It can happen to anybody, and while it would be nice if they didn't write you up for a one-time event, it could certainly be worse.
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
        It would only be "preferential treatment" if others who did the same thing were not written up,
        Management said to leave it, didn't seem to be written up by their boss, who was the one handing out write-ups. He presented an opportunity to fix the problem, management didn't take it. Call me funny, but in my world, that makes management responsible for it not being done.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
          It would only be "preferential treatment" if others who did the same thing were not written up <snip>
          Which is kinda what happened. OP got written up for not taking the deposit in, but the manager did not get written up for telling him to leave it.

That being said, I doubt it would've made any difference. That's just the way it seems to work. If there's a screw-up that involves both a peon and a manager, the peon is the one who gets nailed to the wall unless he/she can prove the manager's role in it. It's always easier to find another peon.

And besides, in this incident, the manager is not the one who forgot the money in the first. It's a lot easier to prove the OP's culpability than the manager's.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yes, but my point is that leaving it in the store *originally* was wrong, while *going back for it once you've left* would also have been wrong, for safety reasons.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
              admitting right away that you left the deposit and offering to go back for it does not make up for forgetting it in the first place, and the manager's telling you not to go back after it is just making the best of things, as that would be more dangerous. If it's possible to get a fuller version of the story than just "left deposit" into the write-up, that would be a good thing. It would only be "preferential treatment" if others who did the same thing were not written up, and "disciplined for following instructions" and "entrapment" would only apply if you'd been instructed to leave it in the store *before actually doing so.* It can happen to anybody, and while it would be nice if they didn't write you up for a one-time event, it could certainly be worse.
              I agree. I can understand why the writeup happened. Still, I feel bad for you, CC. But you did the right thing in the moment. Lucky you didn't get fired; we had a mngr fired at one of my former jobs for similar.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
              X