This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inactive accounts

Well, it's time to clear out the inactive accounts again.

Any account that has no post count and has not logged in for ninety days is in a group that has just been sent an email saying their account will be deleted. In two weeks time, there will be a reminder. Two weeks after that, they go poof.

Instructions on how to retain the account are in the email.

Rapscallion

Wahoooooooooo! I'm free. No banning me for not being active.

Pays to post once in a while.

Speaking of which, why do you clean out the non posters? Does it cost less? Some people may not post as much, because they have nothing to say or add. Not very fair to them.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
      Speaking of which, why do you clean out the non posters? Does it cost less? Some people may not post as much, because they have nothing to say or add. Not very fair to them.
      There's "not posting as much", and posting never. I'm sure having hundreds of inactive accounts bogs down the server.

Also, when I have nothing to say or add, I don't, and my account is still alive and well.
      "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz View Post
        There's "not posting as much", and posting never. I'm sure having hundreds of inactive accounts bogs down the server.

Also, when I have nothing to say or add, I don't, and my account is still alive and well.
        Ahh. duidnt think of that.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

As server overheads go, it's not a huge burden. However, it's still there. It also blocks other users who may want to use the service from choosing certain names.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            It also blocks other users who may want to use the service from choosing certain names.
            Namespace. The number 1 reason to clear out the deadwood.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Plus, if you're regularly logging in, you're still active even if you don't ever post.

On one board I admin, the pruning system deletes people who have no posts and haven't logged in for a certain time.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

But... I love lurking.. even if I am bad at it!

Comment

I admit it - I love to lurk. I read all of the new stories on here on a nearly daily basis, but thankfully rarely have anything worth posting.
                  You want it when? Yeah, Good luck with that!

Comment

Quoth Vanguard View Post
                    But... I love lurking.. even if I am bad at it!

Well, then, welcome aboard and post when it suits you ^_^

I think this measure is aimed more at people (and especially bots) that register, but don't DO anything...I lurk on occasion, myself, but I don't actually *register* until I'm ready to post something insightful or just plain silly. Better yet, both ^_^

And in any case, a lurker who has registered, but hasn't even visited the site in three months isn't likely to come back...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

So how many this time round Raps?

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        And in any case, a lurker who has registered, but hasn't even visited the site in three months isn't likely to come back...
                        Believe it or not, some of us actually do come back after longer than three months.

I did mean to post when I registered.. but then I spent too much time reading and completely forgot what I was going to post.

Comment

Almost four hundred, but I still have to take out the people who have responded to say they'd like to keep their accounts.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Carsomyr View Post
                            Believe it or not, some of us actually do come back after longer than three months.
                            I've been away for longer than a few months without posting, myself.

But that's what the emails are for; to let people who just haven't had anything to add keep their accounts.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Whew, just checked my account (and spam folder) and am not in danger of being deleted! I wasn't sure since I haven't posted since I joined, but I do log in and lurk almost every day.

This site helps keep me sane!

Comment

Working...
                              X