This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is NOT what I meant by "I'm not in a hurry"

I'm supposed to be getting periodic checkups of my eyes because I've got (of all things) a freckle inside one eyeball.

Went for my checkup today. The building he's in has park-and-pay, and it ain't cheap. I lucked out and got a one-hour free pass from somebody who was just leaving (and yes, I do reciprocate whenever possible).

So in I go, and I get the drops in my eyes that give you pupils like Little Orphan Annie, and I get taken to an interior waiting room. There's five other people there, but some are accompanying other patients, so there's actually only 3 people ahead of me. All three get called into examining rooms in quick succession.

Aaaand I'm still waiting.

Another gentleman is brought into the waiting room.

He gets taken into an examination room.

I'm still waiting.

After two hours, I finally decide enough's enough. As I'm leaving, I glance at the paperwork in one of those wall-mounted holders. It's presumably the paperwork for the next patient to be called into an examining room.

It's my paperwork.

By this point, though, I'm fairly sure I've already got a parking ticket (the freebie pass having expired an hour ago) and I'm thoroughly ticked off anyway -- not to mention there's no telling how long I'd be sitting in the examining room -- so I just keep walking.

In an attempt not to show up here as an SC I did not yell at anybody, but I admit to being pretty curt and short when I said I wanted to reschedule as I'd already been waiting for two hours. She asked if I wanted a post-lunch appointment so I'd be the first one seen (oh yeah? Would that perchance depend on when the doctor actually leaves for lunch and thus when he returns?)

Does anybody else think it would be nice of staff to be allowed to say "Look, we're running way behind; does anybody here want to reschedule?" rather than just leaving you sit there? Obviously if it's something urgent you won't want to ... but as far as I know, this is not urgent, and I'd have been more than happy to leave a lot earlier (bug eyes and all).

On the bright side, I learned that if you buy something from the building's little cafe, you can get a token for the parking meters (not sure how long it lasts; I'd guess about an hour). Although the prices at said cafe are something else: $10 for a latte and muffin ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Yes, they should definitely tell you if they're running behind, but it sounds to me more like they f'ed up their scheduling, because why would someone who came in after you be taken before you? If he had something more urgent, they should have told you there was a good reason why you were waiting.

Two hours is ridiculous. Your time has value too. Plus those drops wear off after a while!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Aaaand it's deja vu all over again.

Went for my rescheduled appointment today. Got shuffled from one examining room to another THREE times. The only reason I didn't walk out again was because I didn't have my cellphone with me (still haven't figured out where it is) and thus was unsure of exactly how much time was passing.

When I finally left (after a MAYBE five-minute-long eye checkup) I found it had been two hours. Again.

And the results? "Oh, I'm pretty sure it's nothing but just to be on the safe side I'd like you to see somebody in Toronto. If you haven't heard from us in a couple of weeks, call us about the appointment."

Sure. Or maybe not, not if the person in Toronto sets up their schedules the same way. I've got nobody to stay with there if I miss the last train home ... nor can I afford taxi fares to the nearest hotel/motel plus a replacement ticket.

Only bright spot is that, somehow, I did NOT get a parking ticket.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Two hours for an eye exam???? I'd already had been walking to the exit and ask for a reschedule.

I went in week before last for my eye exam. Arrived a few minutes after 3 (appointment was for 3:20.) I was hustled into the exam room so I can get the dilation drops and to check my current glasses not 5 minutes after I had arrived (as a matter of fact, I was over in the Optical chatting with Towanda about my frames, which I had already picked up when I was there in March for an eye infection.)

Got through the eye test part and then was sent to the back to wait on the Dr. and was there less than 20 minutes before he called me to a room. Once I was called, it was a quick "your prescription has changed, you don't have glaucoma and your eyes look good. That infection cleared up pretty good. I'll see you back next year."

So after going up front, ordering the glasses and handing over the debit card, I was done by just after 4:30.

Flip side is that it's been two weeks and my glasses still aren't ready. . . . apparently they failed inspection and are having to be redone (that's what I heard on Monday.) They'll call when they come in, hopefully by the end of this week.

But those drops that dilate your eyes . . . I had a headache all evening from those!
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yeah... I used to go to a GP who was always running late, but I kept going to him for multiple reasons. For one thing, he was good; for another, he would run late because if a patient turned out to need a longer consultation than expected he would stay with them longer. You never felt rushed or pushed out the door without everything being addressed. And when you walked in the door, if he was running more than a little late his reception staff would tell you exactly how long they expected the delay to be and ask if you wanted to reschedule or go have something to eat or what. Plus, if you were scheduled for late morning or afternoon (the times he tended to be latest, because he'd cut his lunchtime short to get back on schedule) they'd suggest you called before driving/bussing in to find out how he was going when they booked you.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            . . . . apparently [the new glasses] failed inspection and are having to be redone (that's what I heard on Monday.) (
            Better that than having the glasses delivered with engraved marks right in the center of the field of view.

I still have no idea who thought that would be OK. I asked for them to be remade, and the staff had no problem sending the glasses back for that. They even made a notation "no marks on lenses".
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X