Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Forum games

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Magical Talking Ponies

Luke stopped as he dug through his bag while coming down the precinct's stairs. He always checked to make sure they didn't take anything when he got picked up, but this was the first time he'd seen anyone add something. His confusion turned to an irritated groan when he opened it up and saw the picture.

He'd figure out later if the groan was at Johnny's ego or at being grabbed for something again.

He sighed and sat on a nearby bench to read over the letter. The usual - need your help, promises of aid, but nothing yet... Oh and hey, written just for him by his esteemed relation. Yeah, thanks dad. But still, it was probably time to move on by now. He was on a first-name basis with the front desk, and he practically had his own room in the cells downstairs. That and he was fairly certain he'd been banned from every bar and diner in a five-block radius by now, too.

Which settled it. Now he just had to find a way to get through airport security. It was a toss-up whether his appearance or the various "toys" he carried in his pack would be the bigger problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Pedestrian of the Apocalypse

At the airport, when Luke has his momentary worry about his "toys" getting through TSA, a friendly voice speaks up. "No worries, mate," the voice says in a rough Australian accent, "them whackas won't give you any trub."

When Luke turns to see who it is, he'll find a very large, very well-built man in a short-sleeved black shirt, wearing a crocodile-skin vest with dog tags. A slouch hat (which has clearly been through the wars from the clear signs of wear) perches on his head, and although no weaponry is immediately visible, there's the definite sense that he knows where to lay his hands on some, or he's got some hidden away on him. He stands there, arms folded.

Solomon Becker-- known in the Divine community as a "facilitator" (he gets things done, never you mind how)-- grins at Luke. "'Ullo, Brighto." Continuing on his earlier train of thought, he says, "Them Above're lookin' out for us on our way to the big meet-up in Vegas. And besides, I've taken care of things for ya. Just you have a good flight, Brighto. I'll see ya there."

There are only four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM

The fuzz was stronger.

He hadn't been paying too much attention to the customers coming in, spending more time on the evenness of his stitches. But sometime lately, another had joined them.

<<Not Sol not Sol not Sol...>> he thought feverently.

When Emmett spoke to him, his eyes came up measured. His knitting paused, and he gave a brief look at the other man. Then he gave a friendly shrug and picked up his coffee with his left hand.

"It's not taken. Go ahead." He takes a sip and thanks the world for healing deities. Then a penny drops, and he gives a gentle smile to his new coffee companion. "Although isn't it terribly hot for a trenchcoat around here?"

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Support Monkey

EJ takes off his coat and hangs it on the chair back and sits down, "Never too hot." He gives a slight grin takes a bite of pie, "Call it the habit of my profession. Name's Emmett by the way."

Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM

"Aiden."

The aesir-kin realized he'd opened the door to the conversation by his comment - and cursed himself mentally.

"Well," he mused, returning to his knitting. "A profession. So you work, which rules out 'mentally disturbed otaku with a blade of Hanzo steel.' Could be a gangster. Or a replicant."

A little, private grin. "Or do you work for UNATCO, Mister Emmett?"

Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Support Monkey

Emmett takes a few more bites of pie and a sip of coffee while Aiden speaks.

"A movie and video game reference in one go. I think I like you." He takes another sip of coffee, "If you don't want to chat we don't have to. I just figured I might get to know you the way normal people do it since it seems we're both in town for the same conference." He sets his coffee down and takes the last bite of his pie.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Substitute Teacher FTW

Deann felt wilted the moment she stepped off the plane and into the Nevada heat. Why anybody would want to live out here was beyond her. She was in her lightest hiking clothes--one would be boyfriend had described her as looking like an archeologist, which was still bull--and she was still sweltering in this heat.

Lacking the funds for a hotel that provided a shuttle service, let alone the funds for a cab, she filled up a water bottle and started walking the way her print out from Google maps had told her. She supposed the walk itself wasn't bad--just hot and bothersome--but she'd still be glad for going back home to Pennsylvania.

She glanced down at her next set of directions and stopped. Turn left into Summer's Cafe and take a break, you silly girl. She looked left to see a small hole-in-the-wall type place that did look cool and inviting.

Nevermind it didn't seem like anybody else was paying attention to it.

She dropped her head and sighed. "You know, I wish, just once, she'd come out and talk to me straight."

My author blog

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Cashier

Jack stepped off the bus, looking up at the city, barely even feeling the heat over a sense of foreboding... He didn't much like the desert, but he HATED this city. Full of broken hearts and broken dreams, empty promises of wealth beyond imagining if you'd just stay for one more hand, one more spin, pull the lever one more time... Out of money? You have something someone will buy. Your clothes. Your dignity. Your family. Your soul. Hopelessness dressed up in glitz and glamour, a siren call to the rich and the ignorant, the unlucky and the just plain stupid. A perfect place, in fact, for unsavory sorts to find desperate people. To do their bidding for a couple of bucks. To be their host. To be their prey.

He shook his head. His thoughts were turning to the macabre... The desert was a bad place for him. So he started walking, wandering first into a bookstore, coming out with a thick paperback with an orange cover. It was a dictionary, but not of the usual sort- it was a dictionary of symbols. Might help identify what he was going to be dealing with if the folks in charge weren't going to be straightforward. Hell, it was a useful reference even if they told him exactly what to expect. Then he closes his eyes, and starts to wander about the sidewalks, letting himself be drawn in by his other senses, The sense for other children of the gods, and his sense for heartbeats... when he opened his eyes next, he was standing about 10 feet behind Deann, staring at the cafe, book in hand.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 AM

Aiden almost missed a stitch.

His smile froze briefly, as he mentally recovered from the surprise. Then he set down the knitting, and gave a long, considerate look at Emmett.

Ankh. Could be any of a number. No matter. Smart one. Either he's got an ability to tell, one of the closer scions told him, or he looked at the rune and had a lucky guess. Or any mix of the above.

He imagined following up with, oh, really? you're here for the FuckathonCon too? i only use organic latex in my, shall we say, attire? but his tongue didn't feel quite sharp enough to give it his best.

A slow, deliberate blink. And then a gentle sigh.

"Well, Johnny is quite a convincing fellow. And I just couldn't subject fellows to my possible replacement on the... team." The last word was just a touch strained. "So what's your expertise? You know, in case we find a nest of ice dragons, it'd be nice to know if you're the one who tries to kill them, or do the intelligent thing."

Old 05-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Magical Talking Ponies

Location: Airport with Crocodile Dundee Solomon (Undecided on the city - something Southeast, in the coastal states - Richmond, Charlotte, Charleston SC, Atlanta...)

"I have no idea what you just said, but I'm guessing you've got a handle on things. And maybe you say they're looking out for us, but with our history you start to wonder eventually. TLDR, we're working for a bunch'a dicks but it's better than the alternative. Don't think we've met. Name's Luke."

And while he wasn't going to let the Australian know it, he was actually pretty relieved at this turn of events. He was already pretty sure his political activities would have him on a list somewhere. And he was betting bringing his gear anywhere near an airport would be the final straw. Would've made for a damn good excuse to not go, though.