This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It had to be done. (very long)

(Apparently my first attempt to post didn't go through, so I'll try again.)

I turned in my notice at the office job and will go back to the fabric store.

There are so many things wrong with my current job at the office that it's hard to know where to begin. I already posted about the office cat on Fratching. Well, the second in command finally got the cat spayed, which is a bit like locking the barn door after the horses have been stolen. The place still reeks of cat urine, the cat is still spraying and peeing everywhere, there's dried urine on the walls and the carpet has to be rotting by now, and the summer warmth is making the stench even worse. The landlord even came by, and the second-in command literally sprinted to the door to meet him outside rather than having him come in! So yeah, she knows it's wrong, and it still hasn't been cleaned up. And to add to the smell, the paper we were using in the copier was no longer being made, so our supplier got us a new type of paper. The new paper has a very strong, unpleasant chemical smell, and gives you a headache. Even the second-in command complained about the smell of the paper.

The company engages in some other practices that I find questionable. I can't go into detail about it, as it would be too easy to pinpoint where I work. But a lot of companies we did business with are pretty irked with us and have broken off business ties.

The final straw came last month, when I found out that the woman who hired me, the collections person and a good friend, has been laid off. She worked with the company for fourteen years and they just dumped her like a bag of moldy tangerines. Of all the office staff, if anyone should’ve been laid off, it should’ve been me. I’m the lowest one on the totem pole, my job (file clerk) is the least important, I’m getting minimum wage and I don’t have the schooling, experience or ability to cover anyone else’s job.

The job is killing me. The stench is making me sick, the stress is making me crazy, and the depression that’s haunted me on and off for most of my life is back at the worst level it’s ever been. I’ve been snacking far too much, drinking too much Pepsi to keep myself awake and gained about ten pounds on my already overweight frame.

So, I’ve turned in my notice, and gotten my old job back at the fabric store. The second-in-command wasn’t happy about it, but accepted it and immediately put a job notice up on Craigslist. By the end of the day, we’d received 65 resumes. She’s going to start interviewing next week. Hopefully, they can find an applicant who can do the job, doesn’t care about the questionable mores and has no sense of smell.

Thursday night, after discussing the move with my husband (who wasn’t too thrilled, but finally conceded that it would probably be better for my health) and typing up a notice, I spent all night tossing and turning; didn’t get one bit of sleep. Major, major anxiety hit me. I wasn’t just scared; I was terrified. I honestly don’t know why; they loved me at the fabric store, and I desperately needed to get out of the office. True, it will mean a cut in the finances, but everyone’s dealing with that nowadays; we’ll just have to deal with it, too.

But after I turned in my notice and got the job with the fabric store, I feel like a massive weight has been lifted from my back. I slept like a rock last night and woke up feeling absolutely wonderful, the best I've felt in many months.

Everyone said to wait to get a better job, but I couldn't; for the last several months I've been handing in resumes left, right and center, doing interviews and everything else, and gotten bupkis. It could be years before I get a really good job, and frankly, I couldn't last there that long.

The fabric store wasn't perfect (we did get the occasional SC there, though the ratio is a lot lower than most places I've worked at, and the building itself is overdue for the wrecking ball), and I'd still be making minimum, but they've got a good management team, wonderful employees and everyone is treated fairly. I did a good job there, and they told me when I left that I was eligible for rehire, and when I went in to request my job back, the store manager was borderline giddy about it!

I won't be getting the 40 hours I was getting at the office job; but the manager said a minimum of twenty should be no problem. Plus, the busy season (Halloween and Christmas) is coming up, which always increases everyone's hours. If worse comes to worse, I'll suppliment my fabric store hours with another part time job or temp jobs.
    Last edited by XCashier; 07-25-2011, 03:45 AM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Quoth XCashier View Post
    But after I turned in my notice and got the job with the fabric store, I feel like a massive weight has been lifted from my back. I slept like a rock last night and woke up feeling absolutely wonderful, the best I've felt in many months.
    It's such a relief when the h'effenlump steps OFF your personal objects.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sometimes, a 'better' job is less money but less stress.

You might also find it worthwhile to supplement your income with craft sales (though I'd talk to Spark or Kanalah or our other artists about their experience and advice first).
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As much as I say that I will not work in a fast food place again, I LOVED working with the people I did at Taco Hell. Granted there were a few things that I know now that I should've questioned then, at least even the GM and assistant GM had my back.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Thank you for making a tough choice in taking care of yourself.
          I hope you find a new, shiny-er job soon-- but at least you have a job, any job. That alone will allow you some govt' assistance, such as food stamps/EBT.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I think you did the right thing for you and I'm so happy that the fabric store manager really wants you back. You're obviously good at it, and that's encouraging. Yay, I say!
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              You might also find it worthwhile to supplement your income with craft sales (though I'd talk to Spark or Kanalah or our other artists about their experience and advice first).
              That's a darned good idea.
              My LiveJournal

Comment

sounds like a good move...and eventually something even better will turn up I"m sure....
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  I cut away all the stuff that doesn't matter.

Congratulations!
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Good for you! I think you made a very wise decision. At this point in my life I'm learning that jobs that cause that much stress just are not worth it...especially if you have SOMETHING else to fall back on. You'll find a way to make it work and you'll be so much happier
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Thursday night, after discussing the move with my husband (who wasn’t too thrilled, but finally conceded that it would probably be better for my health) and typing up a notice, I spent all night tossing and turning; didn’t get one bit of sleep. Major, major anxiety hit me. I wasn’t just scared; I was terrified. I honestly don’t know why
                      It hit me again last night. I wish I knew why this is happening.

Well, I kind of do. Job changes are always stressful, true, and this economy isn't getting any better. I've been reading the news, and frankly, it's scaring the hell out of me (yes, I know, stop reading the news, but I need to know what is going on). Hubby assures me that we will be okay, that with him at full-time and me at part-time, we'll still stay afloat, and something better will turn up, and my head knows he is right. My emotions and my stomach, however, feel like they're in a blender.

They already got someone to replace me, and she's quite good. I honestly do wish her the best.

Yesterday, the boss told me to go home early. She still wants me in today, but I don't know if she wants me to complete the two weeks. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, though I do wish I knew for certain if she wants me to continue or not.
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

You should call the Landlord and tell him to stop in un-announced next time so he can smell what the office reeks of!

Comment

Quoth wildman View Post
                          You should call the Landlord and tell him to stop in un-announced next time so he can smell what the office reeks of!
                          He'd have to come in a different car; the second-in command can see out the window where her desk is positioned.

Well, they let me go yesterday, gave me my final check and everything. It's a relief, honestly. I deposited the check and threw away my cat urine-ruined shoes as soon as I left there.

Got my schedule for my starting week at the fabric store: thirty-two hours! Nice! Hubby will be pleased. I might get a call-in or two next week, otherwise, I'm treating it like a vacation, a much-needed one!
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

Well, all I have to say is congratulations.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                            X