This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I feel like walking out and just ending the problems with this place. No more of this complete crap.

We were supposed to be paid yesterday but we were told we would be paid today. Now its Monday. And its not direct deposit, its paper checks so we don't know if it will clear and the only way to be sure it will is to go directly to the bank to get the money.

I do NOT NOT NOT NOT work for free. I'm so angry, I'm shaking.

The hotel hourly employees get paid today, but us reservations agents? We are hourly but we work at the head office so we don't get paid today. None of the head office people do. The thing is, THEY are all managers. WE are not.

I don't know what to do here. I feel like walking.

I was waiting to find a new job until after Dragon Con since we've been planning for it for a year.

I'm soooo angry. Soooooo angry. Why should I man the phones, and enter all the paperwork when I'm not getting paid? I don't work for free.

OMG, what if they don't pay us at all and they go bankrupt? Five days to delay pay is ALOT. What if this company is done and we are screwed. I feel like crying.
    Last edited by Moirae; 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM.

call the labor board NOW! there must be a set day in which you get your checks.

Comment

I was supposed to get paid yesterday. Human Resources says that she's already had 5 people tell her they're going to the labor board. By law, they HAVE to pay us when they say they are going to pay us, not a week or more later.

My husband says to give them till Monday, and if I don't get paid then its time to decide what to do. But I am so angry right now I can barely think.

OMG, you can be a jerk to me, but the moment you start screwing with my money is the moment you've gone wayyyyyyyyy too far.

Comment

Agree with Sandman. Don't wait until Monday. Go RIGHT NOW.

Sometimes, there's an issue with a paycheck at my work (wrong hours, left out vacation pay, etc), and we generate a "Heat Ticket" to take care of it. There may be a delay of one, maybe two business days, but five days points to some bigger, serious issues!
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Defiantely put them on notice in writing (by email would be ok) and notify the labor board!
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Have they given you some reason that your paycheck is delayed? Even some sort of lousy excuse?

Have you had your paycheck bounce in the past? If that happened to me, the first time I'd be looking for a new job. As you say, I don't work for free.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Ok, so here's what happened before lunch.

I sent my manager the following. This is the exact copy of the email unaltered.

"Subject: What now?

I'm going to say this as politely as possible, I don't work for free. Now I'm scared I won't get paid at all."

His reply was this. It is an exact copy and unaltered.

"Subject: Payroll

First and foremost, the tone of emails that I have received from all of you is unacceptable and disrespectable. I completely understand your frustration as all of us, minus the hotel employees as it is widely known, are in the same boat. No one is working for free. All of you are aware that we have gone through the same exact thing last summer and it is unfortunate that we are experiencing the same issues again this Summer. It is unfortunate that it is out of my control as Bruce and Scott are tying to make amends and were trying everything in their power to avoid this situation. It is unfortunate that the blame is ownership, not management. please know that you remaining here with us though the thick and thin has not and will not go unnoticed. Any information that I receive that affects you I pass on. My being told that you were told that you were not receiving checks until Monday is new to me.

Each of you are to see me first thing Monday morning at 8:30 AM for a mandatory meeting regarding the emails. "

And HR just came and told us that we will get paid with paper checks today because we pitched a fit.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Have they given you some reason that your paycheck is delayed? Even some sort of lousy excuse?

Have you had your paycheck bounce in the past? If that happened to me, the first time I'd be looking for a new job. As you say, I don't work for free.
                They said "We don't have the money" but they sure seemed to find it once we pitched a fit in the office.

Every single summer, our checks get delayed by say a day or so so that we are paid on Friday instead of Thursday like normal. And they stop doing direct deposit so that you have to deposit it yourself. But this time it was five days so that was a serious problem.

This year, its so bad that even though they have done this twice already this summer, we don't trust them. We go to the closest bank the company uses and get it cashed then and there, and then go to OUR banks to deposit the cash.

In previous years, I've seen checks bounce for other people, though they never have for me.

See, doing this to managers is one thing because a manager gets paid wayyyyy more. An hourly employee depends on that. Even a small delay can totally screw everyone over.

Comment

I think the tone of your manager's response is uncalled for. I don't think there was anything disrespectful about the email you sent. It's perfectly natural to want to be paid for work you've already done. What does he want you to do? Kiss his feet and thank him for the opportunity to be completely screwed over? I think not.

And I completely agree with patiokitty. Start looking for another job NOW, so that you can walk before they run out of money entirely.
                  Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I hate this place. I've hated it for a long time. I've never ever been treated as badly in a job as I have been here.

Comment

Did everyone just threaten to go to the Labor Board or did they actually go? Cause this sounds like a sinking ship and I wouldn't let something like this pass.

They're treating you as disposable. In your Monday meeting, I'd point out that your manager's email was insensitive and that of course the employees' emails were panicked, HR kept stringing everyone along. Unless the company wants to pay the late fees on your charge cards, rent, car payments, etc, they need to get their act together.

I hope you find something else. Fast. This ship is going down in flames.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Make sure if you go to the Labor Board, you bring a copy of that e-mail the manager sent you. They are defending an illegal practice and making you all feel guilty about calling them on it.
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

check your state's labor dept web site. most states have some sort of rule/statue/law about pay periods and pay checks. such as your set pay period ie. weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc. and when said payperiod is to be paid

your workplace, by Federal LAW must have a poster promonantly displayed with your normal payday included on that poster. again by Federal or state regulation the employer is given a certain period of time to actually pay their employees after a pay period ends (maybe up to 10 business days). BUT they are required to pay you on your normal and customonairy paydate. yes things extraordinary happen such as a FedEx package gets lost or destroyed but that is the exception not the rule.

if this is a reoccuring problem at your company (more than once a year), I like others, suggest you DO go to your state's labor board and make a formal complaint.

HR CAN NOT overrule/override/ignore state or Federal laws or statues nor can they or the managers intimidate or retaliate against you for either sending e-mails inquiring about your LATE pay check or reporting said lateness to the loacl labor board if this is a choric problem.

Go into this Monday "meeting" prepared NOT to be intimidated. stand your ground and if they make threats or incinuate you will be disciplined in some vague fashion, go state and Federal on them all the way
                          Last edited by Racket_Man; 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The two posts above me say it all. Your boss should not be disciplining you for calling the company on it's ILLEGAL practice.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The manager is calling you disrespectful because they failed to give you the money you rightfully worked your arse off to earn? Really?

If they're in the US, what they're doing is ILLEGAL. They're not only disrespecting you and your coworkers, they're also disrespecting the US Government's labor board.

I'd go job hunting if I were you. They may have given you a paper check, but this is only going to get worse.

Also, make sure you cash that check at the company's bank and not your own. Make sure you get paid and don't get a check bounce fee counted against you.

If they give you grief over that, tell them "You violated my trust with failure to pay. I'm going to make sure I get the money I deserve. Don't like it? Treat your employees better."
                              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X