This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox vs. Zonealarm

Upgraded FF from 43.xx to 47.xx, because it was bugging me. My firewall, good old ZoneAlarm, which has happily gone through every FF upgrade for years, has suddenly decided to not recognize the new version.

Didn't get a 'this program has changed' prompt after the upgrade and a reboot, and at this point, if ZA is on, Firefox flat does not work, it won't pull a connection and the firewall doesn't recognize that it's trying. I've manually removed the Firefox entries from ZA's program list, and it still isn't picking them up. Manually added firefox.exe and the plugin container to the list with all green allows, nothing.

And yet, the instant I disable ZA, everything works. Google and the FF KB have been spectacularly useless, and the only thing that even sounds remotely plausible is from the ZoneAlarm support forums like five years ago; removing the ZA database in safe mode and forcing it to rebuild a clean allow/deny list.

Anyone have -any- other thoughts before I go through with this?
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

It's obviously a problem with ZA, not FF. I've never trusted these "software firewalls".

Comment

Back when I use to work Tech Support (5 - 10 years ago) we had issues with Zone Alarm borking the internet connection. The only option we had at the time was to remove ZA and use another product that we offered for our subscribers. umm... Outside of what you discussed, my next step would be to look for any updates for ZA, and even remove and try to reinstall it, if you havn't yet.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Ditching ZA entirely seems to be the consensus, from where I've posted. To be honest, I've been using it for so long that I forgot Windows Firewall even existed on XP. Might try the database refresh first, but nuking it's an option.
        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Working...
        X